Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
13 minutes ago, by-tor said:

I'm guessing the feature itself is wanting to keep moving east and south a bit, just at the same time as it's trying to send precipitation down around it's western flank. Very hard to say how that will pan out over the next few hours. Does the big blob off the Fife coast get re-circulated down and around south-westwards or does it all get pulled away and just affect east lothian/east borders  ?

Eventually the latter but there's probably enough westward movement of the band over St Andrews relative to the low to make it to Edinburgh. Tough call though, no model is handling this particularly well, although the NMM wasn't too bad overall.

The MO seem to have it tracking further west again around 3am, by which point the band is to the south of Edinburgh, which would be quite infuriating!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Low temps is better than high temps!  No snow here either Daddy!

Don't smile! You're so sexy with that scowl on!

Have you been drinking? 

I'm a confused man.....

mate, grindr is where you'll find inner peace (and a lot more! Oi Oi, ladsladslads) :p

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Good to see some of you guys are getting some snow. Nothing here but I  did enjoy last weeks surprise snowfall last week :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I'm scrunching my eyes up on the radar to try and anticipate the track of the east coast blob but not convincing myself it'll make much of a south-westwards move. Plenty cold sleet coming down here in Leith, the raggy stuff showing up on the radar, but we'd need to get under that heavy blob for intensity ....plus throw in just a tiny nudge down in temperatures, uppers, dew points, wind back west of north...the usual.... Probably hoping for too much locally at least ;-)

Posted
19 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Signing off! It ain't happening! If you're staying up - enjoy!

Think I agree.  Still scope for east of us as it sinks south a bit more but I don't think the bulk of it is being sent our way. Bit unlucky overall, from Angus to Berwick the North Sea is full of it. If the whole lot was just 50 miles west it could have been quite a mess out there tonight from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Edit: certainly lots of wet snow coming down here just now but just too marginal in every respect.

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, SW Saltire said:
1 hour ago, Cheggers said:
40 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:
41 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Have you been drinking? 

I'm a confused man.....

mate, grindr is where you'll find inner peace (and a lot more! Oi Oi, ladsladslads) :p

Have you been drinking? 

I'm a confused man.....

mate, grindr is where you'll find inner peace (and a lot more! Oi oi, ladsladslads) ! :p

Seems to be a fine mist up here interspersed with snaw flakes, almost looks like a hoover bag has exploded and the dust is swirling in the wind. Still nice and white up in the wilds of Denny though.

20160113_200656.thumb.jpg.9e803a6c0c5180

20160113_195857.thumb.jpg.9d24b240ad643a

I think the forum software has been drinking, not me!

Err, still dry on the Black Isle, and likely to stay this way for the foreseeable.  Nighty night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
30 minutes ago, by-tor said:

Think I agree.  Still scope for east of us as it sinks south a bit more but I don't think the bulk of it is being sent our way. Bit unlucky overall, from Angus to Berwick the North Sea is full of it. If the whole lot was just 50 miles west it could have been quite a mess out there tonight from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Edit: certainly lots of wet snow coming down here just now but just too marginal in every respect.

Trying to lie here, and succeeding on wall and the picnic table in the Pear Tree beer garden, wet on the pavement though. The band will continue to pep up a little though as it moves south so the extent of proper snow cover might be a bit better by morning (still an uphill battle for Leith though as always)

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Trying to lie here, and succeeding on wall and the picnic table in the Pear Tree beer garden, wet on the pavement though. The band will continue to pep up a little though as it moves south so the extent of proper snow cover might be a bit better by morning (still an uphill battle for Leith though as always)

The Pear Tree ? Bloody students ;-) 

Edit: gone off here and I can see Fife clearly now (one of the only 2 useful measurements I can make from my window). Usually not a good sign unless the whole mess can muster one final nudge south and west.

Edited by by-tor
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Was about to go to my bed and finally, its started snowing lightly. Temperature at 1.2/-1/2C. Doubt it will last long but nice to look at I suppose

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Does anyone remember, I think it was December 2009 when a little band of snow moved northeast out into the North Sea and everyone went to bed thinking that was it, then woke up in the morning to find the snow had actually moved back southwest during the night and intensified to give heavy snow which lasted until lunchtime the following day. That was the most enjoyable surprise snowfall I've ever had. If only that happened tonight.

Posted
29 minutes ago, by-tor said:

The Pear Tree ? Bloody students ;-) 

Edit: gone off here and I can see Fife clearly now (one of the only 2 useful measurements I can make from my window). Usually not a good sign unless the whole mess can muster one final nudge south and west.

That's just the view from the flat - I'm so lazy that I live within 2 minutes of the main uni and 5 pubs :p 

Looks like the band is throwing another streak southwest from Angus towards Kinross (which seems to stretch as far as Grangemouth) and we're very close to the main band itself anyway, though undoubtedly this will happen:

weather_radar.png

It's back on now here actually.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

That's just the view from the flat - I'm so lazy that I live within 2 minutes of the main uni and 5 pubs :p 

Looks like the band is throwing another streak southwest from Angus towards Kinross (which seems to stretch as far as Grangemouth) and we're very close to the main band itself anyway, though undoubtedly this will happen:

weather_radar.png

Ha ! It truly is taking the p1ss. And I thought I was done with this game !

Posted
12 minutes ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

Does anyone remember, I think it was December 2009 when a little band of snow moved northeast out into the North Sea and everyone went to bed thinking that was it, then woke up in the morning to find the snow had actually moved back southwest during the night and intensified to give heavy snow which lasted until lunchtime the following day. That was the most enjoyable surprise snowfall I've ever had. If only that happened tonight.

Could've been the 22nd/23rd of that month - I remember the NMM had it heading back into the central belt while the Beeb Scottish forecast had it mostly dry even while the news was reporting on the snow (presumably pre-recorded):rofl:  That main band is agonisingly close now - it moved westward a bit in the last half hour, particularly the heavier pulses out in the North Sea, but not sure it can quite get far enough...

• Like 1

Posted

Just got up with one of the kids and my first thought was to check the radar before peeking behind the curtain!

We have a dusting outside but this is irritatingly close to something so much better LOL

tmp_28977-Screenshot_20160114-0247051413

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We have 7 ", sent hubby oot with a tape measure. The air went blue too and now we're not talking. :D

• Like 9

Posted

Great updates last night, give yourselves a pat on the back (and the dog)

-8c here this morning with snow forecast for later so certainly nice January weather indeed

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

4cm or so here. Doesn't seem to have changed much overnight; radar looked better than it was.

Still lovely oot though.