Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Morning all,

Not even a trace of any snow on the ground here in Crail, so the snow shield held firm. Will report on conditions in St Andrews when I get to work.

Currently 1.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
23 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all,

Not even a trace of any snow on the ground here in Crail, so the snow shield held firm. Will report on conditions in St Andrews when I get to work.

Currently 1.2c.

Ditto except -2C.  Ooh feel that Arctic blast. Pfft.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

No snow lying but has turned icy. Min was -0.6C though it had risen to 0.0C when I woke up at 6.25. But was heading down again when I left at 7.15

Posted

Fine clear start to the day at -3c. Ground dry and hard great to walk on no mud Yippee!!!! 

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful ochils this morning, a very copious amount of snow above 150m but with some patches venturing down to 60-80. 

Temp has dipped half an  hour ago to 0.5 in school wish I had the sensor but there isn't a hard  frost, a nagging wind has stopped it from happening, 

Posted

Radar as clear as a bell yet the Met have extended the warning out to 3pm? Why? Something I'm missing?

• Like 1

Posted

Slight top up from what we had last night, temp is currently -1c so Peebles seems to have been in a bubble during this event. Have seen the warnings have been extended.....not holding out much hope of any more though. School transport still not running today but all schools are open.

Edited by Poots

Posted
58 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ditto except -2C.  Ooh feel that Arctic blast. Pfft.

Snowing at sea level Inverness and it looks to be moving east, each side of the firth so heads up HC

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

post-1989-0-74230100-1422519946_thumb.jpNippy morning!   Had a wee bit more last night and that froze down quickly, leaving a covering.   Currently  -0.1c/-2.2c/NW.   A lot healthier feel  than recent mornings that's for sure!   Slit wrists in the MOD! - you've got to laugh..:D

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

And we have just had our first snowfall of this year folks! A tiny dusting, barely a millimetre if we're lucky, but nevertheless, it's snow! :yahoo:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Sugar dusting...total disappointment. To be fair they all got it wrong. It tracked to far north and east and plunged south too late to hit most of the land.

Posted

I wonder if those showers in the NW might make it all the way at 1 point.......................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Slit wrists in the MOD! - you've got to laugh..:D

I took a quick scan through the models this morning and decided to stay away from the MOD today.

Overnight low of -3.8C and -1.0C at 8am. Decent frost, but nothing spectacular. Mainly blue sky with a bit of thin white cloud, but enough of that in the right direction to currently keep the sun under wraps. Gently breeze.

Going by the BBC/Met forecast my best bet of seeing some snow appears to be tomorrow. It keeps changing though. Earlier it was predicting 2 or 3 hours of light snow on Friday afternoon, now it's on to 10 to 11 hours of heavy rain, possibly with some sleet thrown in on the leading and trailing edges. In a couple of hours it'll no doubt show a different forecast again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

2 lorries jack-knifed / got stuck on the A68 just south of Pathhead some point last night / this morning.

They did this in a perfect position; where a bend in the old road has been straightened, leaving the old 'meander' as a fairly wide layby. Traffic handily could pass the problem using it. Would likely still be shut otherwise.

Snaw all the way to the middle of the Dalkeith Bypass; so common for that to be the snow line.

Posted
29 minutes ago, NUT said:

I wonder if those showers in the NW might make it all the way at 1 point.......................

The NMM certainly seems to think so - it shows showers moving down through the central belt from the NW later on this evening. Euro4 however keeps it up North:

nmm_uk1-42-16-0.png?14-11 nmm_uk1-42-23-0.png?14-05

16011418_1400.gif 16011500_1400.gif

NMM also shows the potential for something on Friday morning. Euro4 not without potential either:

nmm_uk1-42-32-0.png?14-06 nmm_uk1-42-33-0.png?14-06 nmm_uk1-42-34-0.png?14-06

16011506_1400.gif 16011512_1400.gif

After last night though I wouldn't trust any of these models LOL

• Like 2

Posted

Actually, last night's models gave me some snow that I didn't expect 101!   So if I don't expect any tonight, maybe I'll get some more!   Reverse psychology?:D   0.3c/-1.9c

• Like 2

Posted

What is frustrating is that Bathgate/ Livingston/ Cumbernauld/Bannockburn have all had lying snow this winter. But my wee triangle in Falkirk has had nothing. I think we have a snow shield from the Forth/Bathgate Hills and Ochills.

• Like 1

Posted

Some additional Met warnings out for this evening and overnight so who knows! 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1452729600

Posted
12 minutes ago, November13 said:

What is frustrating is that Bathgate/ Livingston/ Cumbernauld/Bannockburn have all had lying snow this winter. But my wee triangle in Falkirk has had nothing. I think we have a snow shield from the Forth/Bathgate Hills and Ochills.

Just bad luck I think! To be fair though I don't think that our general area does too well from 'frontal' snow events. My area certainly doesn't and more times than enough great potential ends in disappointment. Something about 'frontal' events seem to bring too many parameters into play that end up making it all very marginal. Even last night the initial ppn was rain when all sources suggested it should have been snow. 

I could count (easily) on a single hand the number of decent snowfalls from 'frontal' events I can remember in the last number of years here. I guess we had the event at the beginning of December which left an inch or so and was a nice surprise but it was a slushy, rain to snow, gone in the morning and quickly forgotten about affair. 

Maybe just me but we always seem to do better from shower activity if we end up in a pattern that sends them this way of course :-) Most of my memorable snow events have been from shower activity. 

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Yes 101...we are due some luck tonight!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, best not go near the MT right now and instead enjoy our currently wintry spell.

ECM ensembles, as per the GFS, starting to hint things looking to warm up, but possibly not for too long.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

t850Midlothian.png

Posted

Well, I have already had one snowfall that I wasn't expecting as originally everything appeared geared up for further south.   Those warnings look quite tasty too!   So ya' never know!   0.4c/-1.5c/NW.