Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Proper snow now getting heavy.

• Like 2

Posted

Pib radar must be wrong again!

Posted

Big green blob over St Andrews now tracking south West. Pattern has changed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
6 minutes ago, November13 said:

Pib radar must be wrong again!

It's odd, you do often get false echoes with light precipitation but the radar's showing nothing here and it's lightly snizzling, only the odd pulse over your way. 

Posted

You can rely on some things in life (and Fife) and one of those is that Crail will be snow-free. The temperature has dropped to 1c and the rain has turned a little sleety. Much wetter than forecast/expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

was just about to comment on that blob.....a nice straight line back east to perth please....looks intense

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

You can rely on some things in life (and Fife) and one of those is that Crail will be snow-free. The temperature has dropped to 1c and the rain has turned a little sleety. Much wetter than forecast/expected.

No harm but if you get snow I'm out LOL

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, November13 said:

Big green blob over St Andrews now tracking south West. Pattern has changed.

Yeah the fog is now starting to blow away here so hoping for a bit of snow overnight. The beeb forecast said it could make it as far west as south Lanarkshire so who knows! The forecast had  a good prolonged period of snow for you but it's a case of wait and see I think. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

No harm but if you get snow I'm out LOL

That made me chuckle....but I don't think it will come to that!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Snow has picked up again here after a lull. 4 cm or so now.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, edo said:

What a surprise tonight...4 hours of snowfall...makes a mockery of the whole MT thread and game over etc when the Models were dry as a bone for here on nearly every one you looked at...nice 3 cm Base to freeze and begin the cold spell and the sledging season 

DSC_0302.JPG

Below is my post from Friday in the snow where, when, how much thread. Tonight is a prime example of that. I'd have loved the bbc forecast to come off and the curtains would be currently open with me looking at the snow falling. It isn't but I'm happy for those who have an unexpected covering. I'm actually enjoying the unpredictable nature of this winter. That said I'm looking forward to future unpredicted snowfalls in Glasgow. 

Posted Friday at 9:32 PM · Report post

Keeping to the thread title.

Snow where: Southern & Central Scotland. 

Snow when: This afternoon & evening

How much: Dusting here in Glasgow (see photo) to 5cm + elsewhere 

The morning BBC forecast wasn't even predicting this for the Glasgow area as the band of rain for us was meant fizzle out by early afternoon. It was even snowing at sea level down in Ayrshire! My point is that if a forecast for literally hours ahead can go quite wrong then so can the models +24 onwards.

Just because you see it on a TV or computer screen doesn't make it set in stone.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

wise words chemikal and they are certainly the best type of falls.....i actually broke a golden rule and wrote in the model thread tonight about the unpredictability as some of the comments are beyond belief.....snowing lightly again here now....enough to sledge though so looking for a freeze up to preserve the cover till weekend so can enjoy it with the kids in nice dry weather as all the limited snow fun for my young kids has been in very wet snow conditions 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Christopher Blanchett on Reporting Scotland admitted that the precipitation had got further north and east than expected. But like someone else said, he did say that as it comes back south it could get as far west as south Lanarkshire so despite everything being as rain here so far, there I still some hope because the temp is beginning to drop. Now it's 1.1C/-0.5C here.

Posted

This could be an interesting night. I hate going to bed until I know there is a cover of snow at least.

• Like 1

Persistent light wet snow here at 0.3/-2.4:

image.thumb.jpeg.39ef56993c5eca5c7ac71c4

Flooded roads are as much of an issue as snowy roads round here, I went over to Duns to the shop and it was a real mix of snow, slush and huge puddles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Sleeting away here in Leith. Wind direction at Edinburgh airport has beeing veering this last few hours from E to ENE to NE to NNE. Get it just W of N in the next 3-4 hours,and if precipitation holds up then there could even be something lying in many parts of the city by the time it finally clears - real back edge/trailing stuff if it comes off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
5 minutes ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

Christopher Blanchett on Reporting Scotland admitted that the precipitation had got further north and east than expected. But like someone else said, he did say that as it comes back south it could get as far west as south Lanarkshire so despite everything being as rain here so far, there I still some hope because the temp is beginning to drop. Now it's 1.1C/-0.5C here.

It does look as though areas under the heaviest precipitation are seeing temperatures dropping off - 0C at Leuchars and even right on the Berwickshire coast, so could be pretty interesting. Very hard to judge given the radar isn't really giving the full picture at the moment though

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
11 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

It does look as though areas under the heaviest precipitation are seeing temperatures dropping off - 0C at Leuchars and even right on the Berwickshire coast, so could be pretty interesting. Very hard to judge given the radar isn't really giving the full picture at the moment though

I'm guessing the feature itself is wanting to keep moving east and south a bit, just at the same time as it's trying to send precipitation down around it's western flank. Very hard to say how that will pan out over the next few hours. Does the big blob off the Fife coast get re-circulated down and around south-westwards or does it all get pulled away and just affect east lothian/east borders  ?

Edited by by-tor
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

My wife reckons I'm unhinged sitting up, checking forums, radars and flicking the back light on every 2 seconds! She's had enough! 

To be honest I gave up on snow about an hour ago and opened a malt! I need an excuse to sit up and enjoy it!

If it makes you feel any better, although it's snowing here, not a chance of it sticking. The ground's so wet it's just melting when it hits.

Also, just checked and it's actually stopped snowing -bum.

I have a big glass of red wine, if I can't have snow for my birthday I'm damn well going to have a hangover :-) 

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 4