Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat - 20/11/2015 Onward.

Methuselah

Posted
52 minutes ago, Pomeroysnow said:

Well now, Gfs continues it's backtrack,  it's going to be cold us in the West alternating between -4 and -6 uppers, you guys in the East mostly around -8, cold and dry the order of the day do we think???  We still await GP's torpedo to strike on top of this!! 

What is this torpedo people are talking about?

I'm hopeful once we get the cold in place that we will see some white stuff if we get precipitation.  Northern Ireland, in my memory, often gets a bit more snow than they tend to forecast or snow when it not even forecast (remember March 13?) so for now it's fingers crossed and lamp post watching.

enjoy your week!

Posted

Looking like we are too far west in Ireland for proper cold, so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

2nd night with a min of -0.6C and frost and ice everywhere. Even if we don't get much snow from this week, it is nice to get something more wintry at least.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Aliaalu said:

What is this torpedo people are talking about?

I'm hopeful once we get the cold in place that we will see some white stuff if we get precipitation.  Northern Ireland, in my memory, often gets a bit more snow than they tend to forecast or snow when it not even forecast (remember March 13?) so for now it's fingers crossed and lamp post watching.

enjoy your week!

GP alluded to higher up background factors which can bring in a sustained period of cold, quite a fascinating read in the strat thread.  When talking about the torpedo he (I think)  was highlighting a cause and effect change in atmospheric conditions which should impact us for the end of January into February, now this nowhere near explains the factors or the potential outcomes,  perhaps BornFromTheVoid could explain it???

• Like 1

Posted

I know its only looking cold/cooler and dry folks but I am happy with this. Strange you say but it is hard to beat dry sunny cold days by God we need to see the sun. Moving forward an SSW is in the offing,  please see the strat thread, an lot of winter to go through yet!! 

• Like 1

Posted

Big let down from what we though was on offer last week though Pom.

Maybe a bit of snow on exposed higher ground this week which may last if a cold high forms over us.

Posted
16 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Big let down from what we though was on offer last week though Pom.

Maybe a bit of snow on exposed higher ground this week which may last if a cold high forms over us.

Yeah definitely understand the frustration following from last week's epic charts. Especially for any folk who haven't seen any snow yet this year. 

Posted

A wee bit disheartened by what could have been epic cold going by last week's models. Still a chance of something wintry later in the week before high pressure looks to take control for a whlie then focus shifts to the end of the month and in to February. 

• Like 1

Posted

Aye least it will be dry. But with little if any snow for us. It had gone the way I thought it would for us and was never convinced. Let's hope end of Jan or Feb delivers but time starting to ebb away now. Again! Think we have to realise we don't get much snow here in winters. 

Posted

GFS have daily highs of 1-3c across Northern third of Ireland Wednesday/Thursday and inland Donegal looks the cold spot with a high -1 fc for Friday .  North West looks the best bet for snow.  Also for what it's worth the met office 5 day fc temperatures look more favourable than earlier 

UKMO much better than gfs for maintaining cold but no surprises there is major disagreement again

Edited by -Bomber-
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Some very hefty showers passing through. If this was Wednesday or Thursday night we'd be getting some great accumulations of snow!

• Like 1

Posted

Cold, dry and crisp with a biting w/nw wind. Currently 2.3 degrees.

Posted

Barra Best's late evening forecast had temperatures of 4 and 5 degrees for the rest of the week.

Wintry ONLY over high ground. 

What a let down and worryingly we could be back into wet South Westerlies this time next week. 

• Like 1

Posted

Reading the uk precipitation charts and the MetO forecast we should see something between Wednesday and Saturday night, abiet not a lot but it seems in these volitile situations anything could happen.

Fingers crossed for something noteworthy for some

Posted
8 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Barra Best's late evening forecast had temperatures of 4 and 5 degrees for the rest of the week.

Wintry ONLY over high ground. 

What a let down and worryingly we could be back into wet South Westerlies this time next week. 

to be honest next weeks cold spell is not far removed from this weeks weather were temps have been hovering around the same values. it will be colder at night but that's about it.  I really  fear for this winter. Once again. there actually was a stretch in the evening tonight and I thought to my self that I was looking forward to summer! that says ut all really.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

to be honest next weeks cold spell is not far removed from this weeks weather were temps have been hovering around the same values. it will be colder at night but that's about it.  I really  fear for this winter. Once again. there actually was a stretch in the evening tonight and I thought to my self that I was looking forward to summer! that says ut all really.

23rd March 2013, have faith, it's not over till it's over lol

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It all looks a bit meh really ,maybe there could be some surprises but atm it looks like a fairly bog standard cold snap/spell. It really as been like pulling teeth to get anything proper wintry so far this winter although i certainly have not given up on this winter yet. 

Posted

I think people are more disappointed than usual because at first this looked like a severe cold spell. I wouldn't be too despondent just yet. Wednesday-Friday is the best chance of seeing some snow showers. North Western areas have the best chance but I know it doesn't look too great for other areas. It's frustrating and annoying especially after the December we had but we have a couple of cold days coming up with the chance of snow. The models have been so unreliable of late and it's only the 12th January. 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm beginning to fear the worse.  To be honest even one to two good days of winter/snow would keep me happy so long as Theres a bit of frost/ice/crisp blue skies about to give me a taster of winter.

We should'nt get disheartened.... Remember March 2013, that gives us a good 9 weeks + still for models to get act together..

tried to search on the Torpedo BTW and Couldn't find the original explanation but it sounds like hitting base end of January.  Yup I will go with that even if I don't have a flipping clue what it means apart from colder!

happy model watching X

• Like 1

Posted

A hefty shower here with gusty winds atm, pity it wasn't snow.  Will be glad to take a couple of dry days.  The SSW is still looking likely for the end of the month,  with just a little bit of luck we could really benefit,  in the meantime models still uncertain past Monday.