Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
18 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I think it is so amusing reading the highs and lows in the model thread as the synoptic models chop and change.

What 'blink' and you will miss it Bb?

Nothing I have seen has ever predicted deep long lasting cold. Cold by meteorological definition yes, length of spell, still open to doubt but 5 days as a minimum with most areas (if with clear skies) getting air frosts, and some even getting snow. Just when the cold leaves is still not definite, I would suggest 7-10 days unless the cold settles in sufficiently to slow down or even stop the return of the Atlantic for a while longer.

Of course time will show us all how wrong we may have been but  a more relaxed approach might be an idea for some folk in the model thread.

Well John - having just watched the Beeb weekly forecast looks like next w/e could be all change again. *could*.

And daytime temps forecast down here 6-8c. Cold? Nope. January day average. A couple of frosts, yes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's still a pretty normal spell of weather. Temperatures are  going to be around the 7 or 8 mark during the day down here. 

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter. I don't know why so many get excited in the mod thread, the same offenders fall for it every year. lol

Even down here,a cold spell is temp's in low single figures(2-5c)

Next week's temp's dont go below 7-8,even on thurs/fri!!!!!!

Cold spell,what cold spell,pathetic.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cornish snow said:

Even down here,a cold spell is temp's in low single figures(2-5c)

Next week's temp's dont go below 7-8,even on thurs/fri!!!!!!

Cold spell,what cold spell,pathetic.

yes ,not even a cold spell now,those temps are the average for jan,what a massive letdown,what happened to those greenland heights the models were showing a day or so ago,trouble is none of it was in the semi-reliable time-frame anyway,so we should have know it was unlikely to happen .At least the meto have never said it would be anything special to begin with.I've been very impressed with their medium range forecasts this winter .

Posted

if I lived midlands northwards id be quite excited about the upcoming cold spell, unfortunately it will just get a little chilly and frosty down here with temperatures rather average for winter

• Like 1

Posted

HP possibly appearing to the South of the UK by the weekend - temps average.

Even some of the 'big guns' still talking about poss heights near Greenland....into next week......really?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 hour ago, snow mad said:

I've just about had it with this cold shot it is looking feeble and I can see it being a long way back to cold after this high has sunk down onto us!!

Fancy moving to Saudia Arabia?

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/freezing-weather-blankets-much-of-ksa/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Oh well, after a few days of chillier rain, it's blowtorch SWerlies until spring, according to some on the MOD thread.:rofl:

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
Posted inadvertently.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow snow
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Oh well, after a few days of chillier rain, it's blowtorch SWerlies until spring, according to some on the MOD thread.:rofl:

Someone screamed 

Winters over !! 

Seriously these people annoy annoy me no evidence to back there comments 

• Like 1

Watched countryfile forecast. Pitiful. Will probably  have to endure posts of relentless tedium relating to percentage play about prevailing westerlies and bog standard climatology. How dull is that? You'll soon be able to drive a tractor threw the model thread as the traffic plummets reading about GEF ensembles 16 days hence. Pure mince.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Greenland1080 said:

This...with UK ending up like this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I suppoise the 'torpedo' cultivates to this SSW - February could be a very interesting month for cold lovers. :)  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, doghouse said:

Watched countryfile forecast. Pitiful. Will probably  have to endure posts of relentless tedium relating to percentage play about prevailing westerlies and bog standard climatology. How dull is that? You'll soon be able to drive a tractor threw the model thread as the traffic plummets reading about GEF ensembles 16 days hence. Pure mince.

Not necessarily - if you find those sort of posts uninteresting, don't go into the thread.  I seriously doubt that we'll have blowtorch SWerlies continuously from next weekend through until the end of March, given the global patterns.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
34 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

yes ,not even a cold spell now,those temps are the average for jan,what a massive letdown,what happened to those greenland heights the models were showing a day or so ago,trouble is none of it was in the semi-reliable time-frame anyway,so we should have know it was unlikely to happen .At least the meto have never said it would be anything special to begin with.I've been very impressed with their medium range forecasts this winter .

Agreed,through all this pantomime,the Met have constantly sung from the same hymn book and look like being spot on.

They must have information that's alot more reliable than anything we get to see on here.

Makes me think,what's the point,why spend our lives pouring over data which is obviously sub-standered to their's.

Those guy's at the Met must have a right chuckle about the shenanigans going on here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

How funny would it be now if the gfs went back to the wonderful boom charts of a few days ago on its next run, the MOD thread would go into meltdown!

In all seriousness though I am very disappointed about this incoming cold snap-if it's even worthy of being called that anymore-cold without snow isn't my thing at all! 

Still some winter left though, but I certainly won't be led up the garden path again if nice eye candy 're appears for the near future, my feet will stay firmly on the ground until said eye candy is imby :) 

• Like 1

S

1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Not necessarily - if you find those sort of posts uninteresting, don't go into the thread.  I seriously doubt that we'll have blowtorch SWerlies continuously from next weekend through until the end of March, given the global patterns.

Seriouly hope your correct and maybe I should stay away from that particular thread. So bored with posts starting with an obvious premise ( atlantic wins) and working backwards predict the weather ( relentless lead grey skies and incessant rain hammering the North West ). This has no real merit, even if ultimately, in times like this ,it is proved correct. Waiting for the enevitable ,lets see what March brings type posts.

Posted
4 hours ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

I suppoise the 'torpedo' cultivates to this SSW - February could be a very interesting month for cold lovers. :)  

Well,  the end of February into March. It can take weeks for an SSW to impact on the Troposphere. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Well,  the end of February into March. It can take weeks for an SSW to impact on the Troposphere. 

Not necessarily - according to people who know these things, it can be as little as a week, and usually happens within 3.   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

I find it crazy that so many members on this forum take FI charts so seriously. People already dismissing cold after next week even though the models have been all over the place lately. You're better off asking a 5 year old to scribble onto a piece paper and making sense of that instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Just seen the bbc forecast it doesn't give many areas snow, mainly the hills of northern England and Wales. Hope things change. The charts seem to suggest more ppn than the bbc show for Thursday and Friday.

Posted

For a few runs now the ecm anomaly, and the GEFs, have been indicating height rises over the UK and tonight is no exception. And further afield up to T360 there is no significant change to this scenario so it's distinctly possible of at least a week of quiet, cold rather pleasant conditions which I believe I have alluded to in recent posts. Sidney got that 'I told you there is no need to hide my nuts' look.

Merely an observation but I made a brief foray into the other thread just now and noticed Chio had posted a couple of anomaly charts with a brief comment that attracted 20 'likes'. It's funny whenever I used to do that I only attracted 20 snipers. It would appear the anomalies take on greater significance depending on the status of the poster.

ecm_eps_z500a_nh_11.thumb.png.d913fadb08SQ.thumb.jpg.110f5de4379fbe88836e19badf8

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

Sems as though the "winter's over!" posts the the Model thread may have been premature.  GFS 18z suggesting that the dry, cold air may linger beyond next weekend, and John Holmes unobtrusively points-out that his preferred 500 mb anomaly charts weren't subject to the same vicissitudes as the big three models.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Sems as though the "winter's over!" posts the the Model thread may have been premature.  GFS 18z suggesting that the dry, cold air may linger beyond next weekend, and John Holmes unobtrusively points-out that his preferred 500 mb anomaly charts weren't subject to the same vicissitudes as the big three models.

The irony of this is of course that those who didn't follow the party line like lemmings are the vilified 'mildies'. What a god awful word.

Hello, things must be serious Frosty's up late!!

Blimey I can't keep up with this now the phantom easterly is back on the table. Time for a valium.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

The irony of this is of course that those who didn't follow the party line like lemmings are the vilified 'mildies'. What a god awful word.

True, although I still maintain there are a couple of mild rampers here - in particular one who was posting nonsense a couple of days ago when he claimed that the then progressive zonal GFS was 100% guaranteed to verify!  If that isn't a mild ramp, I don't know what is.

I hasten to add, though, that I don't consider you a ramper.  I'd class you as a "mildie" only as you appear to prefer mild weather; then again, I don't consider "mildie" and "coldie" as perjoratives.  To me, they're just shorthand for a members' personal preferences.  Your posts are always objective.

Correcting typo.