Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Yes the accumulated precip chart looks sobering. Personally, I love rain, but for the sake of those in the NW, I hope this doesn't happen. 

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ok,we need to see the 18z gfs showing a negatively tilted trough just like the 12z and also the 12z ukmo

as shown below @144hrs

gfs 12zgfs-0-144.thumb.png.7f0450cb8360e6b95fe7ukmo 12zUW144-21.thumb.GIF.49bd482d7cfbe4c1676c5

and at the same time get the high pushing further north.

Edit: hight's forming to the north @ 162 surpressing the low further south,not a bad run this  and that's as far as i will look....maybe:D

gfs-0-162.thumb.png.dc15c4285c9f42975ec7

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

The GEFS and ecm anomalies although not precise with the orientation of the UK ridge and Atlantic trough if you move the GEFS forward a day they are very much singing the same song.  A return to some wintry outbreaks, particularly in the north, but also some quite settled and mild weather with temps in general above average with the general flow from the SW. Again more so in the south

Looking into the ecm ext period at T360 it's back to the classic pattern of vortex NW Greenland, trough western N. America, HP NE Canada and trough mid Atlantic. That spells much of the same perhaps with less of the settled mild variety with winds veering to the westerly quadrant.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_39.png

Posted

Monster storm somewhat akin to Nuri last year developing in Bering? Should cause a bit of amplification of the pattern upstream.

gfsnh-0-120.png?18

• Like 2

Posted

We're back to the will it or won't phase situation. If the low near the UK doesn't phase with the troughing to the west then the pattern would develop differently.

We need that low to remain separate, if that low clears under the ridge this supports the Scandi high, theres not much middle ground here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Another dogs dinner from the GFS.... Laughable. 

From this gfs9.thumb.png.fff7064ff8ea61273b271fc20 To this gfs10.thumb.png.2d35d4c62dba3f2f446d4a60

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 5

Posted

All I'm seeing on the 18Z GFS is rain, rain, rain and now by the looks of T186 yet more yet pushing up....Certainly the pattern looks a lot closer to the ECM than previous GFS runs. But it shouldn't be too surprising given the 06Z and 12Z GFS op runs were outliers, or almost outliers, in comparison to their own ensembles.

Edited by radiohead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
4 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Another dogs dinner from the GFS.... Laughable. 

From this gfs9.thumb.png.fff7064ff8ea61273b271fc20 To this gfs10.thumb.png.2d35d4c62dba3f2f446d4a60

I was just going to post something similar. From Greenland high to Scandinavia high at the same point in subsequent runs. How about an artic high for the 0z to make the set? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

I was just going to post something similar. From Greenland high to Scandinavia high at the same point in subsequent runs. How about an artic high for the 0z to make the set? 

GFS wants to play out every possible scenario.... Erratic to say the least, faith = zero... 

12z  gfs11.thumb.png.b5350efab207ee27b9973986  18z gfs12.thumb.png.f91eeb28a947668c3be45ec9

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Surely most of these models are wrong and something is up with global models. What seems to be the problem??  Could it be the connection between El nino and global sea temperatures that are not like anything that has been in the past??  

• Like 2

Posted

I know it's laughable to see the gfs from 12z to 18z out of reliable,it's nice to see the high develope to the north before that,it's a better run than the 12z for me:D

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
16 minutes ago, marksiwnc said:

Surely most of these models are wrong and something is up with global models. What seems to be the problem??  Could it be the connection between El nino and global sea temperatures that are not like anything that has been in the past??  

But the models know exactly what all the current data is, they then 'simply' use the thermodynamic laws with complex mathematics to work out what the various parameters will be in 1 hour or x100 hours.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
59 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Models just keep flip flopping all over the place at the moment - each one seems to churn up a different scenario. Suspect they are struggling with regard to the position of the low anchored over the azores, even BBC don't seem too sure just how far north the front will get on Saturday. Reliable timeframe is short at present - 96 hours tops.

Indeed now we know why the individual member spreads over recent runs in the ensembles have diverge greatly from the 12th onwards. A pattern change albeit one that might last no more than just a 4-5 day period is on its way I feel. Beyond D8-D10 there are suggestions that we might revert to type but after the weekend's troublesome rain and this week's further spells of rain and wind, I think a calmer more settled period of HP could be a reasonable prospect to hope for. Who knows, we might get a reverse flow out into FI, which would warm the cockles of a few coldie's hearts in here. The more models struggle with their mid-range to longer-term evolutions the better I say, as it all smacks of a pattern change to me. :friends:

Yes some inter/intra-run differences of late, I expect our friend Shannon is playing with us, nothing much changes my view from previously, if I'm honest.

Previously

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Retro Star Gazer said:

What do this mean as in Weather wise ? Sorry for this but i am a Newbie and still learning .

High Pressure. Winds from the SE? Settled for the big day. 

Posted

Model of the day goes to the NASA MODEL 

geos-1-198.png?08-12  geos-0-198.png

Other than that looking at every model on offer there does seem to be broad agreement of high pressure pushing up from the south across the UK, leading to some generally mild and calm weather, not really what we want to see.

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Model of the day goes to the NASA MODEL 

geos-1-198.png?08-12  geos-0-198.png

Other than that looking at every model on offer there does seem to be broad agreement of high pressure pushing up from the south across the UK, leading to some generally mild and calm weather, not really what we want to see.

Since when did NASA go out to 240 hrs:cc_confused:,thanks,another medium model to look out for for comparison,looks like the gfs 12z run.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Just how bad could this get for the people already suffering from this weather, and just before Christmas too?

240-777UK_krj8.GIF

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

GFS

gfs-0-144.png?0

UKMO

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

GEM

gem-0-144.png?00

Subtle difference but we do seems to be clearing some of the uncertainty upstream with deep low heights returning over Greenland with cold air digging very far south into the Atlantic, unfortunately again for us the roads all seem to point towards developing a high over Europe once the shallow, complicated features have cleared at least. Slow moving bands of heavy rain will be a major concern through this weekend and into the first half of the following week. Once the pattern irons itself out we then seem to return to the default pattern we have seen so far this winter.

gens-21-5-192.pnggens-21-5-240.png

Just with the chance of drier weather being more widespread this time. But again Atlantic trough/high pressure over Europe in some form. It would be nice to see some less "bah-humbug" output though.

• Like 2

Posted

The gfs has the band of rain slowly moving north on Sunday with the slow moving depression moving over the UK and filling. It should drier after the initial rain next week and quite mild with temps above average.

Charts weatherbell

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_20.png

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_28.png

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_37.png

• Like 1