Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Yet it's just as likely to verify as any other chart posted in FI.

I meant it's not BBQ weather, it may be about 13-14c....toasty, I might get my speedos on.

• Like 4

Posted

gfs-0-360.png?6

Knocker - actually, this is nowhere near as mild as one of yesterday's GFS runs, which actually brought the 12C line to Cornwall under reasonably high pressure - now that could be barby weather.

I wouldn't actually be at all surprised if it happened. We've had so many ridiculously mild days in the past few weeks - 16C in sunshine yesterday was quite crazy. But when charts like this are showing just a few days earlier:

gfs-0-234.png?6

then it really is pot luck.

My hunch - as ECM had a comparable idea - it seems increasingly likely that low pressure will get under a ridge in the west Atlantic next week - this could lead to a whole host of options, but I would say a few genuinely cooler days are likely as a northerly element gets into the flow round the ridge. And after that - who knows but a re-set to mild of course is one of the possibilities.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
13 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

To be honest the use of mean values far into FI when you have background chaos in the modelling is IMO illogical and will not give a true picture because within that are different clusters of solutions, and its obvious that theres large disagreements within the ensembles. The issue would be different if the mean was supporting the operational run but its clear that this is not the case. And especially when you have constant changes in FI from all the longer range operational outputs.

Though I cannot speak from any exprience meteorologically, if I might be arrogant for a moment, as a trained scientist, this is something that jumps-out at me.  Mean averages on their own, without standard deviations and statistical calculations of confidence intervals are not always helpful, in particular, as you say, when data is clustered rather than a more standard Gaussian distribution.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Nobody can rule out a wintry spell before christmas when we have charts like this from the GEFS 6z control run!:D:cold:

0_240_500mb.png

OK, let's see how confident you are... Let's make a bet? I say that this chart will not verify, and I'm so confident, I'll give you 5-1 odds? 

Knowing my gambling history, You'll win the bet, and we'll both be happy! :-) 

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Though I cannot speak from any exprience meteorologically, if I might be arrogant for a moment, as a trained scientist, this is something that jumps-out at me.  Mean averages on their own, without standard deviations and statistical calculations of confidence intervals are not always helpful, in particular, as you say, when data is clustered rather than a more standard Gaussian distribution.

You lost me at the Gaussian distribution! lol But have looked at that now and yes I agree. A mean by itself is pretty useless, especially because it can mute out what the different clustering is suggesting.  We often see this divergence between operational run and ensembles when theres a change in pattern, generally what happens is one backs down, so either the ensembles will move towards the operationals or the latter will move the other way. In strongly zonal patterns a slight tweak in starting conditions within the ensembles often makes little difference however in complex patterns things can go wrong.

We often see easterlies poorly modelled by the ensembles and these will be slow to come on board, every synoptic pattern needs to be viewed in a different way.

Generally if cold spells are suggested I view things as what can go wrong to decide on how many hurdles need to be jumped. For this reason any type of Scandi high scenario has a code red warning!

• Like 2

Posted

I'm not into gambling, just banging the drum for all the coldies in response to those who don't believe or want any cold weather to visit the uk!:)

Screen shot 2015-12-08 at 12.39.08.png

Just kidding Frosty... But I would love a stats chart to see how many of those FI cold charts you post came to fruition...

Anyway, the WTF moment a couple of years back is something all us coldies will never forget!!!

Edited by Rocheydub
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

You lost me at the Gaussian distribution! lol But have looked at that now and yes I agree. A mean by itself is pretty useless, especially because it can mute out what the different clustering is suggesting.  We often see this divergence between operational run and ensembles when theres a change in pattern, generally what happens is one backs down, so either the ensembles will move towards the operationals or the latter will move the other way. In strongly zonal patterns a slight tweak in starting conditions within the ensembles often makes little difference however in complex patterns things can go wrong.

We often see easterlies poorly modelled by the ensembles and these will be slow to come on board, every synoptic pattern needs to be viewed in a different way.

Generally if cold spells are suggested I view things as what can go wrong to decide on how many hurdles need to be jumped. For this reason any type of Scandi high scenario has a code red warning!

Thanks for providing the meteorological explanation on that, Nick - it helps me see the link between the basic side of it I already knew and the details of the current situation.  Presumably, your comments regarding ensemble means being more reliable in straightforward zonal set-ups is due to low Shannon entropy, whereas the expected pattern change and resulting high entropy/low confidence is likely to result in a greater spread within the ensembles and therefore the ensemble mean has to be treated with more caution?

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Thanks for providing the meteorological explanation on that, Nick - it helps me see the link between the basic side of it I already knew and the details of the current situation.  Presumably, your comments regarding ensemble means being more reliable in straightforward zonal set-ups is due to low Shannon entropy, whereas the expected pattern change and resulting high entropy/low confidence is likely to result in a greater spread within the ensembles and therefore the ensemble mean has to be treated with more caution?

Absolutely spot on. When such a wide range and divergence on the cards, the mean is of no use.

• Like 2

Posted

I hope Ian F, Tamara, Snowbalz and all the other knowledgable types are still around, been a while since we've heard from them. Their input is vital if we are to know what is really happening weather wise.

Posted
5 hours ago, Dr. Astro said:

Yea, nothing remotely cold on the horizon.

image.png

Of course my post was made before the ridiculous 6z ops run.

If that happens,  I will happily eat my hat whilst rolling naked in my snowdrift. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Yes totally agree. Not sure how long you've followed the forum for but Scandi high scenarios have led to many bitter disappointments in here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

One mans Outlier is another mans trend setter...! Am sure the 12hrs will be different again, this time showing a beasterly........:D

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I hope Ian F, Tamara, Snowbalz and all the other knowledgable types are still around, been a while since we've heard from them. Their input is vital if we are to know what is really happening weather wise.

Yes, they are very knowledgable, but there are plenty more in here that are just as good. The NWP shows what it does, a lot of that time, it keeps some people from posting as there is no real good news for coldies etc. Steve Murr was a classic example of that.

I'm here about 6 years now and have learned who's input to cherish. Nick, John, Steve, Stuart, Chiono to name a few. You won't go wrong with these guys if your preferred guys are not posting.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes totally agree. Not sure how long you've followed the forum for but Scandi high scenarios have led to many bitter disappointments in here.

Long enough to remember a couple.:D

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

We have Nick Sussex, John Holmes , Chionomaniac, Steve Murr, Nick F not to mention a lot more on at the moment.

Edited by Swave Snow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Would happilly take the 06Z all the way to Xmas with the minor change to the last 48 hours of the output. Would like to see the HP cell rotate, around it's southern tip towards Scandi if it MUST move, rather than simply fade away...

Edited by Gavin Hannah
  • Like 1

Posted
On 12/5/2015 at 6:54 PM, Nouska said:

By the time this month is finished, I wonder just what staggering rainfall totals can be accumulated for Ireland and the north west of the UK.

That's up to another 20 cms forecast for the parts now under the most severe conditions.

arpegeuk-25-114-0_rce8.png

How on earth do i stop this from happening!!!! Every time i want to post on the thread it keeps making me quote a post from days ago arrrghghgh