Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
19 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Sadly for those looking for the elusive cold spell it remains just that, elusive.

Nothing in the 6-15 day outputs from whatever source show any consistent indication of the major change needed to give a cold spell.

The anomaly charts show the major pattern is a marked trough somewhere west even SW at times of the UK with no indication that this is going to change markedly. What may be of some comfort to those so badly affected by high rainfall totals is that the 500mb flow is showing signs of decreasing. This should have the effect of decreasing the number of deep surface features and the rainfall totals over the 6-15 day period. It terms of any cold then behind each surface feature as the surface and upper flow switches to a more west to NW for a short period then colder air briefly more especially for the northern half. No signal at all so far of any major cold burst.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

I hope the Met Office are still seeing signs of cold for the last third of december..as they were yesterday!:cold:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good Morning, a colder end to this week for most of British Isles. The model charts for Sunday are showing some uncertainty. The warm front looks like making limited progress NE wards this time with perhaps Northern UK holding on to colder air mass for a bit longer. Perhaps snowfall may come into the forecast later into next weekend, especially further north and east with height. Whether this is transitional will be determined how quickly the colder air ahead of the front is over ridden. The timing and speed of movement of this front is now open to some debate and we await further updates as the upper air push is now weakening from this direction.

C

Rtavn1203.gif

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not a great deal of change from the ECM ens with high pressure to the south east and low pressure to the north west leaving us in a south westerly flow

Reem1442.thumb.gif.52900857de8d6c21b627dReem1922.thumb.gif.05a8c0cb8aab42c63defbReem2402.thumb.gif.0b5f7115cdd83900d91d3

Posted
5 hours ago, Frosty. said:

I hope the Met Office are still seeing signs of cold for the last third of december..as they were yesterday!:cold:

The Met Office forecast says colder not cold. That can simply mean average or slightly above average temperatures as opposed to the well above average temperatures we have now.

As John says, there is  zero sign of anything remotely cold away from Northern hills into the New Year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The Met Office forecast says colder not cold. That can simply mean average or slightly above average temperatures as opposed to the well above average temperatures we have now.

As John says, there is  zero sign of anything remotely cold away from Northern hills into the New Year.

They actually said less chance of mild weather through late december which at least offers hope for coldies like me and in any case, i'm not seeing wall to wall mild mush in the run up to christmas on the latest models.:)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Please peeps? This isn't the place for playing semantics with what the MetO is, or isn't, saying...Back to model discussion?:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Oh Hello 06GFS FI

Brings in a Northerly later in the run with Wintry PPN as far south as the Middlands

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I must be imagining charts line the below that show uk wide snow and -8 uppers in 10 days time then!

point is models are all over the place and Shannon is showing her face again.

tooks such as ECM monthly means are useless at the moment. If we had 2 weeks average 1 week record cold and 1 weeks record mild it would show as average temps for the month

image.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

FI On the 06z stays on the cold side in the run up to Christmas Eve

A new trend from GFS or another Tease.....no prises for guessing the Obvious.

C.S

Posted

Yes, good charts for coldies (me included) but as John stated, we'll need to see these modelled consistently and across most reliable models before I'll get excited. I find tempering expectations reduces the inevitable disappointment and reduces the manic hysteria that regularly occurs here in the winter months. I'm sure while most of the mods are weather enthusiasts like me, they must dread the first signs of HLB in our area as winter gets underway!!! Good luck guys!

PS, even if that Greeny high was to occur, it's quite weak and not very robustly shaped, to me, looks like it would be consumed by mr. Atlantic!

Edited by Rocheydub
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just coming back to the closer time frame GFS gives a very clear spilt in temps on Saturday Midlands south very mild north of the Midlands colder with parts of north west Scotland not getting above 0c

ukmaxtemp.pngukmintemp.png

Less cold for the north on Sunday the one exception though is north west Scotland

ukmaxtemp.pngukmintemp.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I don't think so knocker!!! Just a post with you trying to wind others up.

While it was an obvious joke, it would be warm on that chart, very warm for time of year, look at those fetch of winds all the way from Africa!!! Awful stuff!

Knowing our luck, this is the FI that would come true!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Nice 06z in FI. The 12z will be so different as others have already alluded to yesterday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
24 minutes ago, knocker said:

Looking good for the barby on the beach Xmas day. Get in there....................................................

Were this to verify, would this not see temps above average with a far fetch southwesterly bringing something we've all become so very accustomed to by now, showers or longer spells of rain. 

gfs_t850a_natl_65.png

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I don't think so knocker!!! Just a post with you trying to wind others up.

Yet it's just as likely to verify as any other chart posted in FI.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

There definitely looks to be a slackening of the pattern as we head through the weekend and a tendency for the Atlantic onslaught to quieten somewhat. If we can get some high pressure to fill the "void" then we could be looking at some more blocked conditions as we head through next week. Both GFS and ECM are toying with ridges here and there and with a tendency for a more southerly and quieter jet-stream who knows, we may get something of interest developing. Although at present the mid range is all over the place with regard to details.

• Like 2