Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted

Just forget about the "bin it" and see what the next run says....Nit picking at posts is why people like Tamara left the forum, let's hope Ian F is still about!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Suppose the person who said 'bin it' saw where the run was going and they don't really like cold weather, so that would maybe explain why they said it? You have to look at both sides of the coin, although I think Iceaxecrampon does like cold weather and was merely saying 'bin it' as that particular chart posted was showing a long draw southerly from Spain. 

so maybe an explanation as to why it should be put in the bin might of helped... im not trying to have a pop at anybody but you can see how confusing them 2 post could be for a newer member...... anyway lets move on to the up coming pub run....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lets get back to discussing the models at hand please.

Im sure we will see many more wild swings in the charts out in the extended period over the next few days,  Enjoyable model watching for the Christmas period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Just forget about the "bin it" and see what the next run says....Nit picking at posts is why people like Tamara left the forum, let's hope Ian F is still about!!

im not  Nit picking just stating that this thread is not helped by one post saying Bin the run then the very next saying Epic cold for the exact same chart.... if me questioning a post is a problem for others then maybe its time i left the forum as well..... i only asked a simple question about 2 confusing posts...

• Like 1

Posted

Right, Thats that then.. Lets please move on in a friendly manner thanks.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
8 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Agreed.LOL, this forum is priceless.2 hours from now it will be all change again. 

The 384hr chart is epic,would love to see it happen,but it's chip paper unfortunately.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Bit of clarification.

Wasn't "binning" the whole model run just the sudden absurdity of the LP at T+231.

Hopefully it wont materialise.

• Like 1

Posted

While we await the 18z GFS, the ECM De Bilt ensembles shows that the 12z operational was among the more progressive runs.

http://projects.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/vijftiendaagse/index.php?run=12

However, the cluster of cold runs has diminished from the 00z set.

Edited by mulzy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.

I have always been interested in weather and l like to think I have a feel for what the charts are suggesting without knowing where the weather is actually going. The charts do not suggest a cold spell  anyday soon. I can remember cold spells developing between Christmas and year end  in average Decembers but I cannot recall any early relief from the unrelenting warm south- westerly pattern that we appear locked into now. I think patience will be needed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Welcome to Netweather, Weathervane...Always remember this: we all get a tad over-excited from time-to-time.:D

• Like 3

Posted

I've always thought it was the GFS that was 'over progressive', Steve. And also, shouldn't we recall the ECM's disasters (all the models have them)...December 2012 was perhaps the finest example?:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The only saving grace may be that if we gat a Scandi high - and the EPS do still back this days 11-15 (though drifting eastwards), is, that combined with the N Pacific profile then we see a strong classic precursor profile for an SSW 20 days after that.

Garfinkel paper http://www.eps.jhu.edu/~cig4/GHetal10.pdf

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 4

Posted
48 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Just forget about the "bin it" and see what the next run says....

That is, I am afraid, the thrill and the punishment of being a weather aficionado, especially if you're a coldie in the Northern Hemisphere's Mi(l)d Atlantic Gap. This geographical area I just made up would encomprise from Gibraltar to southern bits of Scandinavia all the way into the border of Germany and Poland, probably a tad further east. Areas that, due to ocean modification, are less prone to any sustained periods with lying snow on the ground according to data from NOAA, the number of days of snow falling and settling decreasing the closer you are to the Atlantic. 

Therefore we cannot expect big cold set-ups every year as we do happen to be in a mild part of the world, thanks to the ration of raging lows we endure every other day in the British Isles, i.e. being on the Jet Stream's pathway. It's not easy -maybe these days?- for it to move further down into southern France / northern Iberia / Italy / Balcans, which is what we really do need for cold to establish itself over central and northern Europe. 

It now looks as this might just happen but I am sure 18z-06z will slightly modify the outcome as these things always go, but it is undeniable that the trend has been there on the past few runs and it is worth keeping a -keen!- eye on it. Worst comes to worst here we will always scrap some snaw on top o'the hill off some rancid westerly! But oh boy wouldn't be a -15 or less be nice? 

Easterlies can be epic and this year might be one to watch out for them to be directed towards us as that Anticyclone is misbehaving so much. It clearly wants to stay and develop badly wherever it chooses to go as it already has done in Italy and Iberia and now it looks as it could be headed to more favourable parts for us in terms of cold, i.e. Scandinavia. 

We will certainly see what happens. 

Edited by peborant
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I've always thought it was the GFS that was 'over progressive', Steve. And also, shouldn't we recall the ECM's disasters (all the models have them)...December 2012 was perhaps the finest example?:D

yep it usually is as well-

But I remember the 2010 secondary cold spell & a more recent one where the ECM 12z just went very progressive- only to revert to the right solution back on the 00z...

S

Posted
1 minute ago, THE CHOSEN ONE said:

yep it usually is as well-

But I remember the 2010 secondary cold spell & a more recent one where the ECM 12z just went very progressive- only to revert to the right solution back on the 00z...

S

Just a quick question, Steve: if the models are indeed 'over progressive', how come it's so very often the 'stellar runs' that fail to materialize, whilst those predicting mild mush usually come to fruition? And I love snow as much as anyone here!:D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Just a quick question, Steve: if the models are indeed 'over progressive', how come it's so very often the 'stellar runs' that fail to materialize, whilst those predicting mild mush usually come to fruition? And I love snow as much as anyone here!:D

well I suppose you have a point there-  I guess for clarity, all the decent cold spells that have actually landed more often than not the models have been over progressive with the atlantic jet to start with -( so as we get closer towards T0 be get a better ridge in Scandi ) & of course the always brush the scandi high aside far to quickly-

so If you are coming from a position of - this modelling scenario is 100% going to end in a cold spell then the models do appear to be progressive, however maybe we could take the more realistic approach ( seeing as we fail more often that not ) & assume the models are not being progressive enough .... then wait for the inevitable failure......

depends if your glass is half full or empty !

S

PS the 18z has alignment over the UK at 168 of about 5 degrees- so that fits in the box of should be successful.... :)

Edited by THE CHOSEN ONE
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Being incredibly IMBY here, but wintry conditions certainly look a possibility for the Big Day here in Scotland based on tonight's ECM and GFS. The tracking of that small stormy feature could lead to some surprising Christmas snowfall for some although it's looking quite mild for those in the south. The slight shifts between the 12z and 18z runs shows that there could be some surprises.

Boxing Day looks particularly interesting as cold air digging south clashes with moist warmer air.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 8

Posted

I agree with much of that. Come to think of it, most of the cold spells that occurred when I was a nipper (late 1880s:D) did take the forecasters rather by surprise...So, when it does take a turn for the better, it often takes us all by surprise...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In the near term we still remain mild, but maybe just a straw clutch in terms of the big day.

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

We see a cold front clear east during Christmas eve with a clear night for many, so we might get a frost in favoured spots. Even in the south.

The pressure build from Christmas day onwards to me looks to be a rather long path to a proper cold spell as we would need to see changes occur hemispherically which wouldn't result in the jet stream blowing the high away in the meantime.

The axis on the trough does not look as good on the 18z compared to the 12z at least.

gfs-0-168.png?18

Though it does improve later on

gfs-0-192.png?18

So a mild end to the year on this run with winds between the south and south west, this could offer some drier and brighter weather if we can pull in some drier air (albeit still on the mild side).

The two most likely outcomes again are the mild south to south west flow with rain in the north and west or a continental flow with the high closer to the UK after Christmas. I would probably put a proper cold Scandi high at around 5% chance (10% if I am visited by 3 ghosts during the night :P). But heck it is more likely than a northerly....

I guess as a start, the ECM ens do start to develop low heights over the eastern Med in association with the plunge of cold air through  western Russia during the period between Christmas and New Year.

EDM101-240.GIF?20-0

We really need to see this progress westwards without seeing the high slide away east at the same time. GEFs never really develop this as of yet. A lot of work needed yet but at least there are some signs that we could see something more wintry as opposed to the scraps in the north and damn naff all down south.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted

Those alpine resorts will be hoping by New Year winter may arrive looking at the GFS!! They need the change in set up  desperately !!