Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

First hard frost of the season here with an overnight low of -3.9C. Nice white coating over the lawns and roofs. Some altocumulus around and the rising sun turned them a lovely mottley pink. Carol just confirmed it's been the coldest night of the winter "so far". I think she said -12C in Scotland and mentioned Benson in Oxfordshire  -8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 minutes ago, Surrey said:

At the station now certainly is crisp! 

I'm also a stone lighter! Happy days 

We were right, Luke - Benson's at -8!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Still -5c on the drive into work at 8:30am

Brings back childhood memories of Freezer cold air hitting your face and a hard ice frost coating everywhere. Why oh why cant winter days be like this everyday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Still interesting that Beeb mention of Easterly, especially given this morning's somewhat different output regarding the flow/direction. Time for caution as I think we are certainly going to be a flip flopping output stage for a few days.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

People really are deluded in the model thread I just don't get it! It is one run ONE!!! It won't look the same come tonight so why do people allow themselves to be sucked into a trap? 

I see the forum has gone quiet again as nothing is on the horizon currently.. (will change later) 

Oh and yes, it can snow in March!!!

Queue CHAT!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I been mentioning that all Winter and I for one don't really get excited about Snow in spring  ( hence my sig ). Yes snowfall can be deep, great and last a while in Spring, problem is by then I want to enjoy the longer days and early warmth of sunshine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

I been mentioning that all Winter and I for one don't really get excited about Snow in spring  ( hence my sig ). Yes snowfall can be deep, great and last a while in Spring, problem is by then I want to enjoy the longer days and early warmth of sunshine.

I agree, my Birthday is on the 21st March, last year we had the plague of Easterly winds for months on end that all it did was bring in low cloud and the temp hover around 3-4 degrees it was bitter!! 

Early heat and sunshine all day long! 

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
4 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

It snowed in April in 2006 and I agree, after 6 or 7 months of chiller weather, by that time I'm looking for a definite warm-up! 

A beautifully white morning, coldest night for a few years. I noticed a small patch of snow at the end of my road leftover from Saturday night / Sun morning on a spot of grass that obviously never sees the sun. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Another night with no frost here, was some high cloud about, must have been that, although we did get into minus temps, with a low of -3.8. That was at 2:30am though, it must have warmed up after with the cloud. Now it's 1.4 high cloud clearing and being replaced by a very slight mist. No wind about at all.

Posted
14 minutes ago, EWS said:

It snowed in April in 2006 and I agree, after 6 or 7 months of chiller weather, by that time I'm looking for a definite warm-up! 

Was this the event that came in on a Sunday Night? If so I remember it well, The flakes were huge and everything turned white in minutes round here, Didn't go to work on the Monday :) 

..Also about two weeks later I think I was enjoying 17/18*c and was in shorts :) 

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
37 minutes ago, Surrey said:

People really are deluded in the model thread I just don't get it! It is one run ONE!!! It won't look the same come tonight so why do people allow themselves to be sucked into a trap? 

I see the forum has gone quiet again as nothing is on the horizon currently.. (will change later) 

Queue CHAT!

Don’t forget. Although there are some very valuable members in the MOD thread there are equally folk that Log on each morning for the obsession of the up and downs.

Many are addicted to writing ‘depression’ posts when the models don’t show what they want then immediately write ‘ecstatic happy’ posts when any ‘cold’ is shown.

Even though they all know models will change daily they are obsessed with the roller coaster, so their Jekyll and Hyde posts will never change!

• Like 2

Posted

I might have to dig out the sun lotion ;) LOL  ( Outlier surely )

Rtavn22817.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn22817.gif

Posted
47 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Was this the event that came in on a Sunday Night? If so I remember it well, The flakes were huge and everything turned white in minutes round here, Didn't go to work on the Monday :) 

..Also about two weeks later I think I was enjoying 17/18*c and was in shorts :) 

Yes, well remembered! The temperture was quite high, hence the huge flakes. I stood at the window and watched the street disappear under a coating of white, although I'm sure I didn't get the Monday off! That was the latest I've ever seen snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

As hard as I try, I really don't understand the models etc, but I do know (despite the lack of snow!) why I love this cold bright weather, photo from my bedroom 

temp 0.8 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Warmer than yesterday here, just hit 3, expect to maybe reach 5 later before cooling for over night. Hopefully will be a frost tomorrow.

Posted
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

Queue CHAT!

March 2005 we had 8 inches of snow. Was a great event 

Posted
29 minutes ago, _anita_ said:

Thought I'd share this picture of a cloud iridescence I took just after sunrise this morning.  I'd never seen one before so was chuffed to bits  :)

DSC_0198.JPG

Nice :)

50 minutes ago, paget said:

As hard as I try, I really don't understand the models etc, but I do know (despite the lack of snow!) why I love this cold bright weather, photo from my bedroom 

temp 0.8 

image.jpeg

Nice :)

:cold:3.7*c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
2 hours ago, EWS said:

A beautifully white morning, coldest night for a few years. I noticed a small patch of snow at the end of my road leftover from Saturday night / Sun morning on a spot of grass that obviously never sees the sun. 

More recently in April 2008 as well when there was a covering of several inches right down to the beach on Eastbourne seafront!

I can't remember the synoptics that produced this but I don't recall the rest of the winter being anything of much note.

Posted

Temp up to 3C here.  8 degree rise from 8:30 this morning, was expecting it to reach only around 1/2c during daylight hours.