Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
13 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Can anyone find the post/research which said about the -ve AO in July and the corresponding -ve AO in following Jan?

BFTP

The original post was from the WSI blog - Tamara has been mentioning it in recent postings.

Somebody else did a big write up on here but cannot remember which thread.

Edit ... well done to Yarmy and David Morse :good:

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Can anyone find the post/research which said about the -ve AO in July and the corresponding -ve AO in following Jan?

BFTP

Here are the AO monthly figures since 1950.

ARCTIC OSCILLATION TABLE

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

06_276_mslp850.png?cb=945

Well that's a good example of that mid-Atlantic low at work. Easy to imagine a shortwave feature breaking away and merging with the Scandi trough bringing heavy snow to some parts, despite the run not going for that idea. It would also serve to re-intensify the Sceuro trough. I know - I'm dreaming!

The run then steadily drifts into west-based -ve NAO territory. It's one way in which there could be interruptions to the cold spell, though I think this particular run goes a bit nuts with the Atlantic trough at the end - I'd expect more of a ridge to be thrown up ahead of the LP. 

But here's the thing - I'm talking about an interruption after about a week of cold, snowy conditions! :snowman-emoji:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Singularity said:

06_276_mslp850.png?cb=945

Well that's a good example of that mid-Atlantic low at work. Easy to imagine a shortwave feature breaking away and merging with the Scandi trough bringing heavy snow to some parts, despite the run not going for that idea. It would also serve to re-intensify the Sceuro trough. I know - I'm dreaming!

The run then steadily drifts into west-based -ve NAO territory. It's one way in which there could be interruptions to the cold spell, though I think this particular run goes a bit nuts with the Atlantic trough at the end - I'd expect more of a ridge to be thrown up ahead of the LP. 

But here's the thing - I'm talking about an interruption after about a week of cold, snowy conditions! :snowman-emoji:

Didnt that happen back in 2010?? i seem to remember it becoming less cold for a week mid December before all hell broke loose again...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

What a rubbish run! Look at the warm air creeping back in to the SW. Cheeky smile with wink!!

image.jpeg

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
6 minutes ago, That ECM said:

What a rubbish run! Look at the warm air creeping sack in to the SW. Cheeky smile with wink!!

image.jpeg

Yes it looks like taking it's last desperate breath! Expect many a choppy run into FI over the coming days with such heights transferring/altering over the poles. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
14 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Didnt that happen back in 2010?? i seem to remember it becoming less cold for a week mid December before all hell broke loose again...

Actually the block was flattened by a trough traversing Greenland, but then the trough dived sharply south through Scandinavia and viola... much like the GFS 00z run, as it happens, but with events further east.

Rrea00120101210.gifRrea00120101211.gifRrea00120101212.gif

Then came the big event as another low moved through Greenland while the upstream pattern became very supportive of blocking to our W and NW. The aforementioned low exploded and then dropped south with epic results:

Rrea00120101215.gifRrea00120101216.gifRrea00120101217.gif

Even after that 06z run just now, these charts still look bonkers, which is testament to just how extreme the conditions were that month.

• Like 5

Posted

06z GEFS control run at day 10 going for a North Atlantic /Greenland super-ridge...

gensnh-0-1-240.thumb.png.26dd51aade15797gensnh-0-5-240.thumb.png.c2aff194b6c3402

The GEFS ensemble mean for day 10 is a sight for sore eyes.:)

gensnh-21-5-240.thumb.png.7cbe523b6f24ce

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Cheers team, one hell of a correlation if it verifies

BFTP

And if it's dependent upon the state of El Nino, in any way, it'd be more than a correlation, Fred?:)

Posted

Lets continue on with Model Discussion please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Enjoy so much reading this forum.. Not only now when cold weather is likely to arrive!! That's the best present the 3 kings has brought today.. : perfect synoptics for next week!! Btw happy new year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Thames streamer from the GEM anyone? Could be nice for some of the home counties, myself included!

gem-0-222.png?00

• Like 1

Posted

So we finally have one of those great runs that's been showing up on the GFS esembles, on the GFS operational :D. As nice as it was to see, unfortunatly the UKMO/ECM isn't quite on the same page this morning, although still packed with potential.

For me we have crucial UKMO and ECM runs this afternoon, let's build some momentum and have THE BIG THREE singing from the same hymn sheet later today! Not too bothered about the next GFS operational as I can't see the esembles being too different as the agreement at day 8/9 is really quite unusually strong!  GEFS Ensembles Chart thus you would expect a similiarily good set of esembles on the gfs 12z.

If we look at the gfs, what makes it so great is the greenland high, without this in place in this kind of set-up there is no chance of a sustained cold spell/snowy cold spell. Really hope this is the developing story on future gfs/ecm/ukmo runs!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
12 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

The best chance of us in South London is a Thames streamer

Pressure is far too high. You'll struggle to get any precipitation at all above 1030mb and really you want sub 1020mb.

• Like 3

Posted

Absolutely correct, but all subject to change at this range. I'm concerned that some of the runs show in my locale that we'll be too high in pressure at times for precip.

If the runs are still like this after the 12z's I'll be telling the family.

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 6z has some truly stunning potential for surface cold. Coupled with the forecast uppers we'd be looking at minima down the spine breaching -10C. 

Rtavn2407.gif

• Like 5