Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, northwestsnow said:

it pretty much is on the bottom set nickster, updated one :)

Admittedly I was looking at the wrong chart there. But still, not without some support. However, it's encouraging nonetheless. 

• Like 2

Posted

One thing for sure, this has been fascinating model watching! Nearly every time in the past where we had the shortwave drama or the will it slide debacle, we (SACRA and coldies members) have nearly always lost out. The UKMO has performed very well, and stuck to it's guns (assuming the un-thinkable doesn't occur) but I would suggest that while the UKMO has been rock solid in it's evolution, I would expect to see a halfway house between the superb alignment of UKMO, and the ECM at about 120/144 which will still be very good. The GFS has traditionally (in my memory anyway) being overly progressive with blowing away blocks. It's sometimes correct, but we'll know in about 5 days, how correct it is.

Remember until T72, in this volatile NWP output, it's not all done and dusted.

I expect another rogue run or two before this is signed sealed and delivered! As a weather enthusiast, 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM, tight isobar said:

Just a quick one. I've picked the gfs showing frame' with the shunt of progression its eyeballing. 

It Again appears far to progressive and chucking up energy in over .

Before new data input gfs' the ecm far outweighed the gfs @3days+...qith the ecm only having data misfortune at precipitation issues ie wrong locate/and weaker pick up.id suggest on current gfs modelling' not much has changed via output  compare gfs/ecm. And strongly believe we are at the critical cross Roads as to where we are going. ..and I know which model either way I'll be putting my cash on!!!I don't know what makes me laugh more atm  del boy or the gfs....However I rekon the gfs is being a right "plonker"!!!

gfs-0-120.png

Miss model/divergance' coming Into reliable re-form.

And agaI.

Confused as to why Most of my posts pre-last 2hrs are GONE!!

• Like 1

Posted

Ian Fs latest Twitter post ref ECMWF temp plot for Swindon shows the potential of the cold hanging around all next week. 

• Like 1

Posted

But what is being chased here ?

Looks to me that if we do get a continuation of the cold,it will be as we are now .

models may want  keep us cold ,but those chasing Snow world ,Not happening with this pattern 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Right now I'm really confused only 4 hours ago Ian was saying only matter of timing with Atlantic return west wind shift but now this. Really is Shannon's time. Not a dig by any means just shows how interesting model watching has been this past couple of weeks . 

He's not saying it mild air won't return, just timings are hard to forecast - as shown by that chart.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

This has by far been one of the strangest and nail biting periods out of all the years I've been following the model discussion net weather. Very enjoyable. One thing I've learned in the past year is the importance in probability in forecasting. Nothing is certain! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Well what an amazing week of model watching.

still learning after five years but this last week has been difficult for us learners and the more seasoned model watcher, ( as well as the met )

had a feeling that the ukmo may be on to something and thought any day now this could be salvageable as long as Steve posts about his westward corrections from both the ecm and the gfs.

spot on once again from Steve. Which I could not see this morning.

the experienced posters on here are really great at what they do and are not scared of sticking their neck out.

gfs 18z gonna be a big pub run

as is the 0z

• Like 3

Posted

I can confirm that in Scotland cold air is already in place, with a clear trend downwards and a nice pasting that fell overnight and into the morning on the Ochil Hills (lying to about 300-400m. Expecting the fourth air frost tonight, how well we do is entirely up to clear skies as the -4 upper will arrive shortly and that guarantees some frost if nothing else. 

Looking ahead i don't think IMBY we do great snow-wise although I guess with the whole volatility of the situation I am in for a surprise or two. 

*** what I expect : A blend between the ukmo and ecm, cold for a week then a battleground synario followed by a even colder plunge..

That sentence sums up the whole feeling that I have got going on about this sit...let's see how events unfold! Fascinating times though

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Weatherweb seem to be siding with the GFS, at least in this video analysing the Jet Stream charts and 500 mb output.  Their thinking seems to be that a strong Jet streak will move out of Canada at the weekend,  giving a short-lived battleground set-up early next week before the Jet heads north, setting-up on a SW-NE flow axis again - very similar to December.  They do mention the possibility of the Jet heading south again as heights develop close to the UK, but expect a resurgent vortex to flatten those heights, returning the UK to full zonality later in the month:

My suspicion is that this video is rather one-sided, given that it relies purely on one model (GFS), and therefore ought not be taken as some kind of "proof" that the block will be demolished easily.  We've seen since last night's ECM just how difficult it is for operational runs at present to work-out the effects of a possible 'rebound' of the AO, in addition to the influence of the subtropical system described in an earlier post.  To my (still inexperienced) eyes, the GFS charts discussed in the video seem to reverting to that models' usual tendency to overdo the strength of the Jet and underplay the resilience of the block, especially given that more knowledgeable posters than I have explained that, the longer a cold block remains in place, the harder it usualy is to dislodge.

• Like 2

Posted

Subtle differences at T84 on the latest GFS, nostep in any direction and closely sticking to the last run.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Subtle differences at T84 on the latest GFS, nostep in any direction and closely sticking to the last run.

High slightly stronger @ 96hr low also further west of the tip Greenland @108hr.

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Not only has GFS been a bit out on a limb with the westwards progression of atlantic air, but it also seems to have some glaring errors in the detail. Take next Monday, when the 12z is predicting a transitional snow event:

56957735c3ea1_2016011212z-011812z.thumb.

Mostly rain over my location, yet snow over France. However, when you look at the 850's:

569577b049cf6_2016011212z-011812z1.thumb

The -5C isotherm is over my location and the mass of snow over France is above 0C. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence. And of course, the ensembles show that the operational is one of a handful of milder runs on 18th:

2016011212z.thumb.png.69fc5c6861d32863dd