Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

How often does the UKMO or the GEM trump the GFS in these sorts of situations, not very often unfortunately. Tonight's ECM will be an enlightening, If it follows the GEM and UKMO then there is a chance that they, not the GFS has the right signal. if not then we will just have to hope that the GFS at least changes tack on its mid-range projections, otherwise its back to the blow torch.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

Marginal for the S I take it but you're incorrect. 

image.thumb.png.d97834a479186ef6463dc5beimage.thumb.png.15b453d83def849003647af0image.thumb.png.60cbc3048f4865dbe13b469e

You kinda need that to be a higher risk for snow to have a good chance for it to happen .. Thanks for Showing me them i didn't see that there was a risk :)

Edited by IPredictASnowStorm

Posted

In la la land there is a trended northerly that would attack Europe toward the end of the run, maybe that is a reload for the future. Who said January was going to be like December? There is still a lot of winter to go, at least up here we can start feeling a difference -even though it has rained at 2C today which is never great and cold has been certainly downgraded and delayed but seems pretty settled on being here for Wednesday, Thursday from the folk south of Manchester. Roll on frosts and snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

If the ECM throws out a different solution, then I think it's even more obvious that none of us can have much clue of what is going to happen past the point that they are all in agreement, be it +24, +48 or +0. Just because the GFS is consistent in it's theme, for me does not mean it is correct.

• Like 2

Posted

The last 2 GFS runs have been mild outliers to some degree or another. Until we see where it lies in the ensembles there is every chance it could be the third 'unreliable' run on the trot.

• Like 1

Posted

Still huge uncertainty regarding next weeks cold spell.

Just looking at the GFS esembles and quite frankly the gfs doesn't have a clue! As early as 120h we have esemble members showing, heavy snow over southern england (channel low), heavy snow moving west to east across northern england, rain turning to snow in east and south east england, rain for all, dry... Anything could happen.

gens-3-2-120.png

gens-16-2-120.png

gens-19-2-120.png

gens-17-2-120.png

gens-1-2-120.png

Riculous.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I agree the Gfs 12z could be a mild outlier in FI, I wasn't expecting to see this lurking in the woodshed:nonono::diablo:

12_264_uk2mtmp.png?cb=494.png

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at the GFS Purbs, there is support for the UKMO at +144

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

GFS Purbs here from +144 follow link and click through for yourself http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=144&code=17&mode=0&carte=1 

• Like 1

Posted

GFS in extreme FI would go on to be something special - however not much chance of being correct at 120 so beyond 384 would be a minor miracle 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
5 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

The differences between the GEM and GFS at T+144 are all to do with the jet stream strength, direction, and split

Is this therefore the end of the chicken and the egg debate on the jet?! I thought that the jury was still out as to whether the jet was cause or effect...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Good support from the GEFS at T108 for that shortwave spoiler to cut off the Atlantic ridge with the Greenland heights. There was minority support this morning, that grew via the 06z and now it is 66% support and that includes the Control. 

What that shortwave spoiler that phases energy between the US trough and the Scand trough does is provide a geateway for the jet to travel west to east via the quickest route. The jet's route is dictated by the shortwave phasing not the other way round IMO (re Chino's post), though it is a chicken and egg conundrum if you think about it too hard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles

Looking through GFS ensemble suite the majority want to make more of shortwave energy coming up from the SW from the Azores low which phases with the trough over the UK. Solutions range from wet windy with a deepening low to cold and snowy if it develops less and stays to the South. Everything in between is also modeled, wintry mix of rain/sleet/snow. Thursday is shaping up to be a very interesting day if GFS is correct as UKMO barely registers the shortwave and it has no impact. The situation is further complicated by the Greenland shortwave moving SE and likely to phase in with the UK trough at around the same time as any energy moving up from the SW. Very complex and not surprising the models are struggling.

Overall the ensembles are moving toward the Op but it still does not have majority support. UKMO type solutions are still there as are some ECM type solutions.

At times like these I'm glad I don't do forecasts but I would say there is a reasonable chance of widespread snow event for England before any transition away from the cold. This will most likely occur around the 14th but depending on which way the output goes thereafter as there could be further opportunities later.

At 192 there is about a 50/50 split between keeping an amplified pattern or something more Westerly based.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

Some very nice essemble members (144h)

That is quite a few to suggest the ukmo may well be on right track with gem and possibly ecm when it arrives

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

just out of curiosity why do you (and others for that matter) post precip charts for T120+ and ramp and/or moan about them?......they are never to be taken at face value and are only the very roughest of guides....in my experience even the hi-res precip charts from T0-T48 are fickle to say the least....As John Holmes has stated many many times over the years, snow forecasting is very difficult, akin to finding a piece of hay in a stack of needles!

I just wished to exemplify the GFS 12z run was not snowless, what could be on the table, apparently there's a 30% Prob of widespread snowfall on that particular day into Friday thus it is far from madness. The channel low feature has been shown quite consistently over the last few days just grazing the far S. The mist should disperse early next week regarding snow prospects ect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Anything could still happen after 96hrs, i think the ecm will jump on board with the UKMO and GEM. GFS always trys to bring in the atlantic to quick.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS short ensembles SE England. Note the ppn spike on the 14th which will be as a result of shortwave energy moving up from the SW and down from the NW as previously posted.

Diagramme GEFS

Posted

All this talk of phasing! lol In terms of what NCEP thought of this mornings ECM 00hrs, not a lot in terms of later next week.

IMO you can have phasing lows and phasing jet streams but I agree with Chiono re phasing energy. The irritation he has with shortwaves is probably down to me! lol As these often pop up in my posts however if its good enough for NCEP its good enough for me!

In terms of the upstream pattern the issue is north/south jet stream interaction( phasing)! or not. A lengthy look at this in the NCEP outlook.

BETWEEN DAYS 4 AND 6...THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE BEGINS TO DIFFER WITH RESPECT TO THE CHARACTER OF THE PACIFIC FLOW...ITS SHORTWAVE DETAILS ENTERING THE WEST COAST ... CONTINENTAL DIVIDE AND SOUTHERN ROCKIES. EAST OF THE DIVIDE AND ACROSS SOUTHEAST CANADA...THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE OFFERS A MYRIAD OF SOLUTIONS FOR THE UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH AND FLOW TRANSITION FOR THE GREAT LAKES...GULF COAST AND NORTHEAST. AND THE 9/00Z ECMWF OFFERS THE BIGGEST RUN-TO-RUN 'CHANGE' OF THE 4 PRIMARY MODEL GUIDANCE PACKAGES (GFS/CANADIAN/UKMET INCLUDED). FOR NOW...BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE THE DIFFERENCES AND IMPLICATIONS/CONCERNS HEADING INTO DAY 6--- PHASING OR LACK-THERE-OF --- BETWEEN UPPER-LEVEL NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN JET AXES. THE 9/00Z DETERMINISTIC GFS/CANADIAN/ECMWF DO A DECENT JOB WITH THE NATURE OF THE SOUTHERN STREAM FLOW (THE SUBTROPICAL JET) IN THE WESTERN GULF OF MEXICO AND NORTHERN CENTRAL MEXICO---BUT THE 9/00Z ECMWF ESPECIALLY...MAINTAINS A MUCH WEAKER NORTHERN STREAM WESTERLY 250MB SOLUTION ALONG THE ENTIRE STRETCH OF CANADIAN BORDER. AND ALTHOUGH ---

THE NORTHERN STREAM APPEARS TO HOLD THE KEY TO THE LATTER HALF OF THIS MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD---WITH PHASED JET OR SPLIT-FLOW (SEPARATED JET STREAMS)--- DETERMINING THE OUTCOME OF BROAD AND DEEP COLD ADVECTION AND SENSIBLE WEATHER EAST OF THE DIVIDE AND DOWNSTREAM OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER---USING THE 9/00Z ECMWF DETERMINISTIC SOLUTION FOR DETAILS (CERTAINLY BEYOND DAY 4) SEEMS TO BE THE MORE QUESTIONABLE OUTCOME DURING THIS WEST-TO-EAST MID-LEVEL FLOW TRANSITION.

You'll note this mornings ECM phased a southern stream low with the PV lobe over the ne USA, this is the issue for NCEP.

We'll see soon whether the ECM will stick to its guns or not.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

ARPEGE bringing blizzards to higher ground in Scotland at T72, maybe even to lower levels away from the coasts. 

ap1.thumb.png.ba05598f8f6d84123a11619dabap2.thumb.png.838f3f62663492317d89a5d8c6ap3.thumb.png.e0cd46bdda706f6f88ab705441

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mucka said:

GFS short ensembles SE England. Note the ppn spike on the 14th which will be as a result of shortwave energy moving up from the SW and down from the NW as previously posted.

Diagramme GEFS

OP as expected an outlier from 15th/16th onward

• Like 2