Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM a bit half-hearted with that phasing upstream. We want to see that shortwave more developed and as it runs into the Atlantic this would help pivot the PV lobe nw. We want the ne/sw trough formation upstream digging as far south as possible to help drive high pressure ne ahead of it.

Nick, if you have a chance could you do one of your famous circled paint jobbie charts on this. So much talk of phasing, shortwaves, upstream and downstream by so many posters that I can't even remember what I'm supposed to be looking for in the charts. :cc_confused: Thankyou kindly. This will also greatly assist others as well I'm sure. What timescales are we talking about here too?

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, AWD said:

Everyone's looking at the 850hpa temps at 120, seeing -6c & assuming snowfall.

For what it's worth, IMO, it would be a slush fest of rain & sleet for most as the low is coming up from the Azores bringing embedded moist air with it and therefore high WBFL and dewpoints.

Just my opinion of course, but it doesn't look right for snow to me.

Maybe for you down to sea level, but for most of us that would most definaltly be snow! (taking that chart on face value.)

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, gottolovethisweather said:

Nick, if you have a chance could you do one of your famous circled paint jobbie charts on this. So much talk of phasing, shortwaves, upstream and downstream that I don't even remember what I'm supposed to be looking for in the charts. Thankyou kindly. This will also greatly assist others as well I'm sure. What timescales are we talking about here too?

Sure , after the ECM has finished and I've made yet another espresso. This will highlight the importance of trying to get that PV lobe to pivot and pull nw.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

A reminder of this evenings output 144h comparisons. ECM, UKMO, JMA, GFS.

ECH1-144.GIFUN144-21.GIFJN144-21.GIF?09-12gfsnh-0-144.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well i didn't see that coming, but then I am an ametuer :rofl:

ECH1-192.GIF?09-0

Interesting.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The high tries but fails with low pressure winning out snow for some parts in the north though a bit more marginal for the south

ECM1-192.GIF?09-0ECM0-192.GIF?09-0

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Really nice at 192, just don't have confidence in it happening...NE'ly at 216 maybe!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Wow ecm is eye candy pretty much nationwide. -8 uppers for the majority of the country by Thursday with an increased risk on snow just about anywhere if this verifies. I think if the GFS 18z hops on board tonight, us snow lovers can start to get very excited! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ECM1-192.GIF?09-0

Pure FI I know, but we don't want shortwave tracking here, milder for all at low levels in the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So the ecm backs the ukmo and gem. Expect the gfs to backtrack either on the 18z run or 00z run. Think it looks like the gfs is barking up the wrong tree here. Expect it to backtrack now. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, AWD said:

Everyone's looking at the 850hpa temps at 120, seeing -6c & assuming snowfall.

For what it's worth, IMO, it would be a slush fest of rain & sleet for most as the low is coming up from the Azores bringing embedded moist air with it and therefore high WBFL and dewpoints.

Just my opinion of course, but it doesn't look right for snow to me.

Are you sure that low has come from the Azores? I'm following the ARPEGE output and it looks like the Azores secondary low is just absorbed somewhere south of the UK. The SE England low has travelled from the North of the country.

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/arpegee_cartes.php

Run the animation.

• Like 8

Posted

Fantastic +192h chart from the ECM tonight! You could tell from all the WAA moving into Greenland at 168 hrs that this was going to happen. That shortwave moving SE would be a very good snow event for much of the country. Easterly incoming? :cold: Certainly looks a lot more promising for us coldies today :D 

ECM1-192.GIF

Edited by sn0wman
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ECM1-192.GIF?09-0

Pure FI I know, but we don't want shortwave tracking here, milder for all at low levels in the south

That is actually a potential trigger low for an Easterly type flow. It is a great chart regardless of rain/sleet/snow on the day.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, sn0wman said:

Fantastic +192h chart from the ECM tonight! You could tell from all the WAA moving into Greenland at 168 hrs that this was going to happen. That shortwave moving SE would be a very good snow event for much of the country. Certainly looks promising for us coldies today :D 

ECM1-192.GIF

depends where you live, don't we need the shortwave tracking further West? with all snow on eastern edge

Posted
Just now, sn0wman said:

Fantastic +192h chart from the ECM tonight! You could tell from all the WAA moving into Greenland at 168 hrs that this was going to happen. That shortwave moving SE would be a very good snow event for much of the country. Certainly looks promising for us coldies today :D 

ECM1-192.GIF

Omega? Shame its over a week away though. Nice to look at. You can see why some forecasters are hinting the cold could go on past next weekend though with these charts.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, weather eater said:

Nice very nice but as ever with synoptic modelling its evolution not revolution. something similar would be good though

The main thing is the ECM is not showing a swift return to atlantic conditions, this was always the fear yesterday. Looking good.

• Like 7

Posted

JMA 192 not quite as good as ECM but the Atlantic ain't coming through that in a hurry. Also hints of energy disrupting SE under the block.:D

JN192-21.GIF?09-12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Easterly is on at +216, but I fear only temporary, but i'd take it thanks. All in lala land but still, a nice run from the ECM.

ECH1-216.GIF?09-0ECH0-216.GIF?09-0

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

depends where you live, don't we need the shortwave tracking further West? with all snow on eastern edge

Looking at the uppers chart it would definitely be mainly Scotland and Northern England getting pasted with snow, whereas there would be a mixture of sleet and rain further south. Looks very promising though even for those who would get rain from that scenario - possibly an easterly setting up on this run. Of course, it's too far away to take that seriously but it's a nice trend to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
10 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Big inflection point in the jet over the atlantic at 168-

energy going SSE -

azores high having another go like a persistent yorkshire terrier....

May be a bit early steve...but any chance of one of your snow risk maps for thurs fri....cheers.