Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The sensible discussions on this thread are way more current than the BBC automated forecasts, and sometimes ahead of the chief forecasters advise to the BBC weather presenters. Thats not to say we are correct, just that the nature of our discussions are in real time as opposed to the daily advise/probability that the MET gives out.

The BBC weather app is a good example of this......it runs on raw UKMO data!!!!!! (i think) Since when was that reliable at day 3-4-5? 

Its all a balance of output really. And for Joe bloggs, when the output is changeable, the accuracy of the raw data is questionable. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

ECM ENS

graph is a worry though, bottom end of cold

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
52 minutes ago, Shuga ice said:

If the ecm verified, the lowest temps and the deepest snow would be towards the south/southeast.   

There are more ECM charts available to the public on Wunderground here - http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Here's an ECM 2m temp chart for the early hours of Thursday morning, very much colder in the north, bitterly cold in Scotland.

There's also a snowfall chart view but it's not lying snow just where snow may be falling. 

ecm44.thumb.PNG.4e3a4941bd1b7b2758fc132c

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 hour ago, chionomaniac said:

The GFS ensembles have never really wavered from an overall cold theme and until they do then the operational run should always be treated with caution. ECM and UKMO show this.

The pendulum swings continue.... it is leading into an epic chase this one  - will it be rewarded?

These for SE England will undoubtedly be a fair bit milder than ECM. They really only show a 4 day cold spell as far as upper is concerned and the mean only very briefly drops below -5. I would say they were quite solidly behind the Atlantic coming back in from around the 17/18th albeit that is somewhat slower than the Op has been showing it is a very similar progression that leads them there. Even the Op hasn't wavered from an overall cold theme from mid week.

Diagramme GEFS

I do agree though that pendulum has swung in favour of more prolonged cold this evening but that is not really the case within GFS ensembles which if anything have become more supportive of a quicker breakdown - up to the 12z run anyway.

The 2m temps for the SE make this clear 00z, 06z, 12z comparison

Diagramme GEFSDiagramme GEFSDiagramme GEFS

I think that is pretty clear evidence the ensembles have more and more got behind a quicker warm up as the Op as I have previously stated and shows they have not stayed solidly behind a longer cold spell at all. It really is not a case of taking the Op in isolation but of course there should be caution when there is not cross model consensus but that works both ways as we have recently been painfully reminded. 

ECM tonight should be much colder and I'm confident the warming trend should be reversed soon given tonight's output.

Hoping to come back to lots of post which should be a sign the 18z has flipped cold.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mark N said:

ECM text forecasts can be found here for locations - http://www.yr.no

@Mark Bayley- ECM snow charts at http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Cheers Mark. The ECM charts posted by subzero are available on accuweather, around £12 a month. Can report the snow accumulation on the ECM is pretty good by the end of the run. A covering everywhere. The feature crossing the UK at T96 to T120 delivers a decent snow event to Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and central/east Midlands with a dusting into East Anglia and the South East (a 1 to 3inch covering, not that snow accumulation charts should be trusted, in the east midlands and yorkshire). Dewpoints look marginal however, although hard to tell with the chart graphics. Dew points drop as the feature clears south eastwards, so snow on the back edge where sleety at first. Rather too much detail for a chart certain to change. However, it does highlight some good opportunities in the next week!

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Regarding the ECM ens, back to a similar theme as last night. Turning cold during the week and increasingly cold on Thursday and Friday. If anything a better result with the -6C isotherm across nearly all of the UK on Friday.

EDU0-144.GIF?09-0

The -7C isotherm from approximately Birmingham northwards. The best I have seen for the end of the week.

So a few extras from me as others will have more insight into the suite than I can see. Good agreement on a set up cold enough for snow at low levels by the end of the week, turning drier over the weekend as high pressure moves in slowly, the 850s wash out but ultimately the surface conditions should remain cold with widespread hard frosts.

EDM101-144.GIF?09-0EDM101-192.GIF?09-0EDM101-240.GIF?09-0

The pattern slowly edges east cutting off the supply of precipitation over the week with the upper trough and cold pool sinking into east and south east Europe.

This certainly isn't set in stone, will the ensembles handle the next system exiting Newfoundland correctly or will we see something similar to the ECM op develop which could extend the cold out further perhaps. One to watch.

De Bilt ensembles

PLUIM_06260_NWT.png

Pretty cold to day 10 though with scatter appearing. Just one outlier which goes mild from Thursday. The control goes sub-zero into the following week.

Longer term I am still looking for an east to north east flow to develop if we can amplify the Atlantic ridge enough to push it towards Scandinavia when the Canadian lobe of the polar vortex does decide to wake up again.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.

The models last night were all over the place, and the anxiety in here is understandable given the lean years and last December to cap it off.

I feel that what is on offer tonight is some decent winter weather if you like cold. Ecm looks to be toying with an easterly. In the time I have been viewing the computer models I have come to see that model as first amongst equals. Before that I relied on television and radio and charts in the post. And also weather instinct, often wrong. This tells me to expect a proper easterly blast coming soon.

Watch "War and Peace" on the Beeb for a preview

• Like 2

Posted

The extended eps definitely signalling an end to the strongly neg AO/NAO combination. gfs probably too progressive but also likely headed in the right direction.  Hopefully for the saturated ground of the UK, we can end up with a mid lat high within a less amplified pattern. 

• Like 2

Posted

Hi all I'm new here and also not an expert,but I do try.my view on tonight's charts its quite positive at the end of the ecm do we try and see heights strengthen further,my guess is it will!as others have said will be interesting to see which way the gfs trends...so I'm happy with the ecm,some really cold uppers close by particuarly towards the southeast!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

The extended eps definitely signalling an end to the strongly neg AO/NAO combination. gfs probably too progressive but also likely headed in the right direction.  Hopefully for the saturated ground of the UK, we can end up with a mid lat high within a less amplified pattern. 

Looking like after this cold spell it may be a few weeks Atleast before we see another - if at all that is.

Posted
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

ecmt850.168.png 

Chart of the day, cold to reload and as I said this is FAR from over

BFTP

Hi there where is the reload here,does not seem strong enough!?

Edited by Lukesluckybunch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

ecmt850.168.png 

Chart of the day, cold to reload and as I said this is FAR from over

BFTP

Agreed mate, I think,people need to remember the background signals and also what Tamara and Stuart were talking about the other day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

So it seems in general apart from the gfs today has upgraded our chances of a cold spell, still worries me that gfs is the one who sees something different to the rest and we also know it was the one who picked out the shortwave near Iceland a few days ago. So until gfs joins the rest  it's hard to get excited. ECM is a peach of a run prolonging the cold spell and increasing snow potential all over the UK. Next week all models agree winter is finally coming to the UK I hope we all see. Some of the white stuff and when the cold does set in it's hard to shift as 2010 demonstrated.  Going to grab a beer now ready for the pub run will the gfs give us drama or a stellar run. :girl_devil::snowman-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 minute ago, john mac said:

Agreed mate, I think,people need to remember the background signals and also what Tamara and Stuart were talking about the other day.

And what were they talking about  John...please come o n and explain?

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

And what were they talking about  John...please come o n and explain?

BFTP

Well, I'm not pretending to be a weather expert but it was along the lines that cold weather will prevail through the second half of Jan, also the negative nao becoming less west based as we move forwards. Lost of fun and games to come. 

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Looking like after this cold spell it may be a few weeks Atleast before we see another - if at all that is.

That's a bold statement Ali. I suspect that it wouldn't be too long until we arrived at a similar model evolution as we've been through the past week.  just have a retrogressive feeling. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5