Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

Gem and ukmo both rebuild the greenland heights!!!! Gfs has a go but does not quite get there. Interesting ecm coming up! 

That should read links the greenland heights with atlantic heights.

Edited by ALL ABOARD

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Oh my UKMO why do you keep doing this to us?! Best day 6 chart for a couple of days

UN144-21.GIF?10-05

Gem isnt far behind at 144 !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Aaki Khan said:

:hi:UKMO Looking Good Throughout. 

UN144-21.gif

UKMO would be very cold day 7+ with a nice Greenland high

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes UKMO and GEM both very nice but somewhat surprisingly GFS still not on board though it is ever so slowly backtracking and prolonging the cold

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Gem isnt far behind at 144 !

I pray ECM shows this. An all Euro vs GFS would be very interesting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Gfs 00z is in a snow giving mood with nationwide snow I would bank these. :cold:

image.thumb.jpg.2c2a5a8ef215881625259832image.thumb.jpg.669784a094041234ad758f08image.thumb.jpg.0de9d756a0ccaf96a113157c

Edited by snowangel32
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO/GFS comparison 144

UN144-21.GIFgfsnh-0-144.png?0

I'm struggling to remember such a prolonged, pronounced and persistent difference in the models

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

UKMO/GFS comparison 144

UN144-21.GIFgfsnh-0-144.png?0

I'm struggling to remember such a prolonged, pronounced and persistent difference in the models

Surely something has to give today. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowangel32 said:

Surely something has to give today. 

LOL I said that yesterday and we are still waiting.

I guess GFS has moved from the more progressive breakdown to the less progressive breakdown so that's progress. of sorts. :laugh:

• Like 6

Posted
10 minutes ago, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

Not trying to hype, and a fairly uncertain progression however the GEM is fairly concerning for my part of the Pennines and much of the Pennines.

UKMO pushes the worst of it back slightly but minimal next Thursday 

GFS good for snow v similar to 18Z but doing its usual thing with the Ott early breakdown 

ECM is now more than likely to go with UKMO and gem with the Greenland ridge 

such a good time to be having a slow upgrade, snow is now inevitable here but elsewhere ☂☃ the snow / rain boundary looks quite narrow on Thursday, looks like a real headache 

Yh you look in a sweet spot for a pasting, but with the models struggling it's hard to take anything at face value, but it does look odds on for some snow to a lot of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mucka said:

LOL I said that yesterday and we are still waiting.

I guess GFS has moved from the more progressive breakdown to the less progressive breakdown so that's progress. of sorts. :laugh:

mucka is it me or are the models trying to go full circle to what they were showing a few days ago still not quite there but not far off. Exception gfs but even that looks better. Rare for upgrades long may it continue.:yahoo:

Posted
47 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

mucka is it me or are the models trying to go full circle to what they were showing a few days ago still not quite there but not far off. Exception gfs but even that looks better. Rare for upgrades long may it continue.:yahoo:

I guess they have in a way except we are now seeing a 3rd bite of the cherry instead of a first or second.

I know, I'm confused too. It is like Groundhog day regarding the Atlantic ridge.

It is really odd that GFS op has consistently gone for the flatter pattern and every time had support from the control and slow growing support within the rest of the ensemble suite while at the same time the other models have slowly gone the opposite direction. I really expected GFS to be more like the Euros this morning but I guess it is going to take a few runs of small adjustments rather than a quick flip to get where the other models are  - assuming it is wrong of course.

Edit

GFS ensembles SE England - certainly not moving back toward more prolonged cold as yet. Curious.

Diagramme GEFSDiagramme GEFS

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

- ECM + 144

Cold

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Spah1
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T 144 for all 3. I'm hoping ukmo is leading the way but none of them are poor.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Oh my UKMO why do you keep doing this to us?! Best day 6 chart for a couple of days

UN144-21.GIF?10-05

I can see an angel somewhere, even though we're not there yet I always believed this cold spell would have some legs but it also appears to have wings. :acute:

Soon be time to discuss the specifics of will it, won't it snow in my back yard but certainly not quite yet folks. Right now, a wintry mix is a good description for sure for most of Lowland England but my gut feeling is that the -6c isotherm/850s will visit more times during January and February than most would have ever imagined, just a week ago. Just goes to show, do not write anything off anyone not even angels looking down us from above in our weather charts. :angel:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 5

Posted

Ecm rock solid it's the cold from t96-168 with a promising med low to encourage the easterly. Nice 1030'pressure up over Iceland. Very very cold particularly for the south at t168

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the model drama is going to continue on through today.

Day 5 charts

UKMO

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

The ridge is re-building through the Atlantic and into Greenland by day 6, maintaining a northerly flow.

GFS
gfs-0-120.png?0

Still the flattest solution by far, it still brings that shallow low across from the Canadian trough, no other model does this evolution.So it turns drier and less cold as we go through next weekend.

ECM

ECM1-120.GIF?10-12

The heights over Greenland are not as strong as on the UKMO, but the Atlantic ridge and overall evolution is similar but with a less amplified day 6 chart. However that deep cold over Scandinavia and Eastern Europe is starting to drift our way, the -12C isotherm over Holland by day 7 with a weak high over the southern tip of Norway.

ECM1-192.GIF?10-12

It doesn't look quite like getting there as the high settles near the UK, but it is still cold at 850 level into the following week and very cold at the surface with hard frosts. Lets see what day 9/10 bring. Can we undercut that high and develop a stronger easterly.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 9

Posted

Academic as it won't be accurate but with little energy to the east of the tip of Greenland, 0 850s north of Iceland and the high being pulled nw it will remain cold with an increasing easterly component. 

Ec shows a clear week long cold spell with snow ice and freezing temps. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

A move towards the GFS by ECM this morning. It has downgraded the Atlantic High from 1040mb to 1030mb (it's propensity to blow up highs in high entropy situations). It has also changed the position and influence of the Azores Low, now much closer to the GFS take:

T144:   ECM1-144.thumb.gif.ef26da81ff0432b2296c6  GFSgfs-0-144.thumb.png.9a68bac06a160bcf892a

The net effect is that the high is not sustainable with respect to a Greenland connect and gets pushed away, as GFS have been showing in the last few runs; where the Azores low phases with the US trough to push the pattern east.

D7 ECMECM1-168.thumb.gif.fe61ab1f9f104b42dcd05  GFSgfs-0-168.thumb.png.a6255280f8d9942e4e29

Very similar, though ECM remains better for cold for longer (is it over amping still?), though with its run to run changes I would expect ECM 12z to be different again tonight, where as GFS has been consistent.  There is a cluster of about 25% that support the ECM evolution by D8 on the 0z GEFS, so an evolution that is feasible now that ECM has stepped towards the GFS with respect to earlier developments. As for who is correct (post D7), I am as flummoxed as most on here.  All fluid and best to watch and learn so we can gauge what model is better in such future circumstances. Cold High on ECM from D7-10.

As for the UKMO it phases the Atlantic high into the Greenland High and that doesn't look likely from what the GEFS show. GEM decouples the Azores low with the US trough around D7 as further HP moves in (similar to ECM yesterday and now binned by the ECM 0z).

Edited by IDO
  • Like 3

Posted

Ido re gfs consistence I disagree I've taken the gfs charts from 00z Saturday to just now. If we focus on the direction of the energy west of Greenland we can clearly see that on every run the gfs has put the energy more and more in northwards direction. Starting due east on Saturdays 00z and ending due north on today's 00z. 

Gfs is putting less and less energy south of Greenland. If the trend continues it will eventually lead to an ecm/gfs/gem mix.

gfs continues to try and put more energy into the  Atlantic but pulls away from it gets into the t144 frame..

just my opinion 

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Like 5