Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

differences between the big three at 120  not huge but significant for our patch.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

So the N/W flow wins out into week 2 and continuing cool, Just look how far South the Jet is over the Med pulling the cold air with it. Where will it go..

b.pnga.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

Yes I agree IDO. The GFS has certainly been consistent while the euros have moved back and forth with their output to a greater extent. I've been watching the models for a few years now and I've seen the GFS out on its own a few times - sometimes it has a shown a dogged determination to stick to an incorrect solution right up to within T72hrs and at other times has led the way with the right outcome against all the other models.

The vast majority of the time we get a compromise, which is probably what will happen again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some very cold nights and some ice days on the GFS from Thursday to Sunday before the cold starts to get moderated into the start of next week as we lose the colder 850's with a flow from S/SW, frosts becoming less widespread. The far W/SW & NW close to double figures by Tuesday.  So 4/5 day cold/very cold spell before turning slowly milder, hope the ECM is nearer the mark keeping us cold out to day 10. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
10 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

So the N/W wins out into week 2, Just look how far South the Jet is over the Med pulling the cold air with it. Where will it go..

b.pnga.png

I would say of more concern for a sustainable up stream meridional pattern is the trend for the Pacific jet to go into turbo mode from around D6 right through till D16 on the GFS 0z. That dampens any hope (if it is correct) for any blocking to be in situ, more likely any MLB or HLB gets pushed east due to the flattening of the pattern from the upstream jet profile.

D15 jet is super charged now: gfsnh-5-312.thumb.png.cfd89abfef28d52761

Edited by IDO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Based on this mornings runs I think we can safely say a cold 'snap' is on the way atleast with the highest chance of any snow Thursday onwards. However, some parts could be disappointed. For snow to fall and settle, realistically you need a 0c dewpoint and upper air temperatures around -5. Based on the GFS 06z we eventually get everywhere into a -5 or below upper and dew points at freezing or below. Thursday is very interesting because we start the day in the east above -5 uppers and as high and 4c dewpoint. This would deliver rain virtually all day during Thursday the further east you go with the highest risk of snow further north and west until eventually during the evening on the 14th we see snow just about anywhere. Things could and probably will change. :)

• Like 4

Hi I'm new here,

I remember 2010 the long cold spell and lots of snow, which I believe was down to a sudden stratospheric warming which to my untrained eye it would appear will be happening over the next week or so. The snow in 2010 was caused by a filament of vorticity sitting over France generating shower trains into the SE. Wait and see I suppose I however believe this cold snap will be more prolonged than first thought. Models especially don't handle the effects of laying snow well with regards to boundary layer temps.

Posted
Just now, Chris1986 said:

Hi I'm new here,

I remember 2010 the long cold spell and lots of snow, which I believe was down to a sudden stratospheric warming which to my untrained eye it would appear will be happening over the next week or so. The snow in 2010 was caused by a filament of vorticity sitting over France generating shower trains into the SE. Wait and see I suppose I however believe this cold snap will be more prolonged than first thought. Models especially don't handle the effects of laying snow well with regards to boundary layer temps.

This upcoming cold spell is not related to a SSW. It's tropospherically led.

• Like 3

Posted

Just has a good look at gfs6z and the dew points unfortunately remain above zero for most of England and wales until late thur.

Not sure what the other models are showing at the same time but im not convinced gfs is showing snow during late wed into thur for most.

GFS6z does show a period of snow for the midlands thur night :) as the colder uppers mix out the mild sector

Edited by northwestsnow

11 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

This upcoming cold spell is not related to a SSW. It's tropospherically led.

The stratosphere has a direct impact on the troposphere although we don't fully understand all of the details. Stratospheric warming should cool the troposphere... somehow... I'm not clever enough to know :$

Posted

Let's please continue in here with what the models are showing please, There is the Stratt thread open for further discussion. Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
5 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Yes, it's also two weeks away and very unlikely to be modelled correctly at this range, and on the other side of the hemisphere! 

I disagree. The current EPO ridge is flattened by the Pacific jet at D3 and the relentless turbo charged Pacific jet gets super charged as we move to D13:

D3 turbo charged: gfsnh-5-66.thumb.png.762367f49c9f822a315 D16 super charged: gfsnh-5-384.thumb.png.3a23a31981eae5f490

That flattens the pattern further downstream (our locale) and is why the US trough is more inclined to send spoiler shortwaves into the Atlantic and for it also to generally ease the pattern east. That is possibly why the 06z is zonal from D8 to D16 with the PV regrouping (assuming that this is correct).

Posted

I think if you've got a bit of elevation, not much only about 100m then you should do well next week. 

The front pushing through on Thursday could deliver 2-5cm widely.

Current GFS is showing a very significant snowfall for higher elevations a good 10-20cm as the front lingers for 24 hours. But it's too far away to resolve these types of details so for now I'm sticking to 2-5cm.

The GFS/ECM allows the cold to dig in quite well in the south, didn't really think it would with the models trending away from cold establishing itself away from the north

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I see a chilly week coming up, some frost, a bit of snow for higher elevations in the north. It looks currently very much like it will be incredibly marginal in built up areas without elevation from Northern England southwards. Next week see's a split between high pressure and frosty nights or a return to a westerly regime. 

Let's hope we see GP's torpedo showing up soon. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Hi WTO

Welcome,nice first post.

It would be good if you would enter your location in your avatar.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
32 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I have made a pdf about the anomaly charts and this cold spell upcoming. This will avoid cluttering up this thread with current outputs.

sunday 10 jan 16 pdf.pdf

Well done John, now I know what you do with your Sunday mornings ! Looks like your thinking the same way of UKMO this morning. One of the Euros/UKMO or GFS will have to eat humble pie sooner or later. Its been great watching the models this weekend. Have to take rest now away from the computer and take my wife for a ski and lunch in the sun. Wish you were with us !

C

• Like 5