Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

There's plenty of references to colder drier weather being good for drying out the flooded areas.  But genuine question,,,,  does the extent of cold currently modelled reduce the impact of the weather itself being drier?  Is it better to have mild southwesterly winds with periods of lighter rain interspersed with drier spells?  Can a spell of frrezing weather after floods end up causing more damage by freezing and expanding moisture in places where that moisture was not supposed to get into?

Edited by Timmytour
spelling

Posted
1 minute ago, Timmytour said:

There's plenty of references to colder dryer weather being good for drying out the flooded areas.  But genuine question,,,,  does the extent of cold currently modelled reduce the impact of the weather itself being dryer?  Is it better to have mild southwesterly winds with periods of lighter rain interspersed with dryer spells?  Can a spell of frrezing weather after floods end up causing more damage by freezing and expanding moisture in places where that moisture was not supposed to get into?

Not the most stupid post ever made Timmy.  very lateral. 

Suspect the the general lack of precip will be more welcome than any of the unexpected issues re freezing and expansion of saturated ground. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
17 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I cannot see how you consider that GFS has been consistent. Take a look at how it has changed with its two main runs 00 and 12 on this site. You pick a date, I chose Sat 16th, and see how it changes?

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&CONT=euro&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&VAR=prec&WMO=&ZOOM=0&RES=0&PERIOD=&PANEL=0&ARCHIV=0&BASE=201601100000%26HH%3D144

I think we are talking about when the cold uppers leave the UK. This has consistently been forecast by the GFS at around the same day or so.

If you were to compare who has been getting it wrong then all models have been all over the place, UKMO flip flopping, ECM going for locked in cold from the North to Easterly's to UK highs.

This is a very complex situation and I think most on here are more concerned how long the cold stays than whether precise mesoscale details have been pinpointed? Go to the bias charts here: http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/mdlbias/ and compare all the D6 bias for heights and all models are struggling! Compare the 5 day then to the 10 day stats and it is even clearer that lots of entropy at the moment as the 10 day stats are much better. We shall see the verification stats soon re the upcoming period, and expect all models to suck to one extent or another.

So it's more a case of consistency within the high entropy picture and GFS over the last 2-3 days has been consistent in a short cold snap, where as ECM keeps promising all sorts of blocked locked in cold. Who is right is the main question and until that is resolved we don't know if GFS is consistently right or consistently wrong (re cold snap longevity)?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Well reading some of the NCEP state discussions it seems that the UKMO has not gone completely mad this morning.

Although they don't refer to it specifically the actual expected pattern does lend support for the troughing to the west to sharpen up in response to more amplitude upstream.

They expect the pattern to flatten out temporarily before re-amplifying by next weekend with an eastern USA trough. The differences are really the degree of amplification and different handling of shortwaves running east between the respective outputs.

Well as you say if the ukmo hasn't gone completely mad it may be on to something, this evenings runs will be vital as we are entering the realibile time.

Lol I can here the voices what is FI,I just have a feeling there are more twists And turns to come in what has been a fantastic model watching week.I think tonight's outputs will be vital God help the poor contryfile forecaster on duty this evening! Just feel it's time us coldies  got a rub of the blue :cold: not green lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
Just now, Chris1986 said:

End of Jan could be interesting.

06_384_arctic10-1.thumb.png.9bff7f2a4303

Unfortunately, any changes to the stratosphere take around 4-6 weeks to create an effect on the weather we see. That would take us to March. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Unfortunately, any changes to the stratosphere take around 4-6 weeks to create an effect on the weather we see. That would take us to March. 

The next 4 weeks of model watching will be interesting, I look forward to see if the gfs continues to develop this feature!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Depending upon the trop pattern and also how any SSW manifests itself re down welling we can see a quick trop response within a few days.  Irrespective of that,  I would say less than three weeks is usual for first downwelling wave to strike the trop. as others have said, an SSW can actually 'shake' the trop out of a cold pattern that is affecting us at the time any wave strikes the trop. 

we have a very strong strat vortex this winter and yet the trop is making pretty cold patterns. as big a disconnect as we've probably seen for a fair while. 

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

Be careful with the 06z - it has a tendency to get excitable about the stratosphere, we have been here before with over-progressive warming projections..

Am all for looking at mid-range IDO, but many am sure will be looking at the strength of the cold arriving first versus it's departure,no?

Yes of course but I think we have agreement in the short term (up to D5), a cold spell is incoming that will feel bitter compared to the last 6 weeks of mild. Snow marginal but too early to be forecast with confidence, analysis 24 hours before may be the best here. So I had moved on to the longevity of the cold snap/spell and no strong consensus, I was just pointing out consistency. I have no preference or clue which way it will go, beyond my pay grade, just highlighting there is differences and we shouldn't all be swayed by those ECM D8-10 charts (at the moment).

6 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Be careful with the 06z - it has a tendency to get excitable about the stratosphere, we have been here before with over-progressive warming projections..

Am all for looking at mid-range IDO, but many am sure will be looking at the strength of the cold arriving first versus it's departure,no?

Last few runs seem to be progressively bringing this in. I will watch the development over the next few weeks :)

12_384_arctic10.thumb.png.78e67d63dbf018

00_384_arctic10.thumb.png.90008228483b0e18_384_arctic10.thumb.png.d960bd5372c58a

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Depending upon the trop pattern and also how any SSW manifests itself re down welling we can see a quick trop response within a few days.  Irrespective of that,  I would say less than three weeks is usual for first downwelling wave to strike the trop. as others have said, an SSW can actually 'shake' the trop out of a cold pattern that is affecting us at the time any wave strikes the trop. 

we have a very strong strat vortex this winter and yet the trop is making pretty cold patterns. as big a disconnect as we've probably seen for a fair while. 

I've got a nasty feeling this is why the various models have been so different going out to FI but I am certainly no expert. I can't find any strat charts for anything apart from GFS can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like to do a comparison.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
7 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

End of Jan could be interesting.

06_384_arctic10-1.thumb.png.9bff7f2a4303

Made me look at the run of that.....

How accurate are they?  Any more accurate than the SLA and 850 temps?  Is there an overall driver.

I notice that the 6z goes from this at T30

gfs-10-36.png?6

Build in the purpley pinks to T72

gfs-10-72.png?6

Then brings them out until by T120 they have disappeared

gfs-10-120.png?6

This seems to coincide with when the GFS run goes from a "oh could be..." one to a bit "it's all going meh"  .  would they be linked?

Posted
25 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

That's not correct. I said the same thing 2/3 years ago and Chio (who, for the benefit of newbies, definitely knows!) corrected me to say that it can have a more or less immediate effect on the troposphere. Alternatively it can take 2-3 weeks to cause changes in the trop. To say 4-6 weeks is pushing it I think but also wrongly dismisses the possibility of an immediate impact.

Of course that doesn't mean that it will have an impact, immediate or not, on our small part of the globe.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Here, i have attached the Precipitation, dew points, upper airs 850pha and precipitation type at 6am on 14/01/2016 and you can see just how incredibly difficult it is to predict. 

difficult.PNG

Edited by Connor Bailey Degnan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
47 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

I have no idea where you got that from . On average it's 21 days . Sometimes a little longer . Let's not forget we also can have an almost immediate response.  If the vortex is primed rightly it can happen within 5 days

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
38 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Regarding model consistency, lets take the ECM day 10 from Friday morning.

ECM1-240.GIF?00

Worth noting on this run we saw a deep low move through the south of the UK from the Azores, this of course has been settled into a shallow feature affecting France at a much earlier timeframe.

So what about the ECM yesterday at day 9

ECM1-216.GIF?00

The correct modelling of the Azores low had be honed in on by now. Overall the longwave pattern looks quite similar, a ridge just west of the UK with a surface high right over the UK.

Today

ECM1-192.GIF?10-12

Whilst the ridge is weaker and more susceptible undercutting, the actual longwave pattern is pretty similar. So at least for the 00z suite this has been a consistent trend beyond our cold snap, it actually extends this by creating a cold surface block over the UK as opposed to two days ago.

So the GFS

Friday (240h), Saturday (216h), Today (192h)

gfs-0-240.png?0gfs-0-216.png?0gfs-0-192.png?0  

Again the chart on Friday can be forgiven as it also was struggling to model the Azores low consistently. Again the GFS from this point has gone for a milder solution though it is starting to drag that trough to our east further west and being shown to be a more significant feature which could prop up the high near the UK.

Take what you want from this, but the ECM has consistently gone for a deep trough over eastern Europe and in the western Atlantic at this point with high pressure over the UK. The GFS gone from a flatter and milder pattern, but with some signs of change. As for the 06z...

gfs-0-186.png?6

More significant trough to our east again. The ECM has been forecasting a deep freeze developing over East and south east Europe since yesterday morning. The GFS is trending towards this and gradually bringing further areas into the influence of that trough. If it does this again for the 12z then I would expect the high to be further north west and close to the UK at this time frame. One to watch.

I might do the 12z suites this evening to add a bit more to this, obviously after this afternoons output.

image.gif.4c30ab8de318c2f68a00da9fb111c3https://nwf.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/uploads/monthly_2016_01/image.gif.4c30ab8de318c2f68a00da9fb111c3c7.gif

I am not sure that the GFS hasn't backtracked lads.

The above is the forecast for this week. Note the high pressure in the Eastern Atlantic.

Two or three days ago it was forecasting this --

The above was the start of my thoughts...

Captn has beaten me to it so I stopped.....

As you can see, from the GFS it has consistently modelled the heights to our south pointing towards Spain. (ie ne wards). It has made huge changes to the north, with no consistent longwave pattern.

As Capn points the longwave pattern over the Atlantic on the ECM has not changed, apart from the high instead of pointing north seems to be angled more towards the North west.

It is this that is effecting the timing of the return of milder air. To claim that the GFS is more consistent is incorrect.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted

It looks like the ECM has lots of entropy with respect to it's members and spread by D7 is amazing. This shows with the op being the coldest run at D9 in the De Bilt graphs:

56926035a1f5c_eps_pluim_tt_06260(1).thum

Looking at it's members it does appear that many are dry but milder so I suspect a good cluster in line with the GEFS mean. Would not rule out anything from the ECM tonight with that spread!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

ECM for London, in fact, is showing that the op is at the mild end for the key timeframes of the 14th-16thy, any spread at day seven being because of a few isolated members.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Would a chart for the US have an effect on the UK at the same time? Not as much as it would down the line.

• Like 2