Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

In terms of the shortwave coming off the Azores low its a bit of a catch 22 here. You really want to see it approaching as a shallow feature, not too developed as this could mix out the cold. However with the shallow feature its more likely to track further south.

The thing to look for is the shape of the low, so round football shaped less likely to bring snow. More oval rugby ball shaped more likely. There are of course other factors but that's an easy first thing to spot on the charts in terms of snow chances.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A better 06oz run and just beginning to get into the reliable time frame. Now to wait for the assemblies too see what the scatter is like.

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

The GFS  assemblies keep the colder weather longer than the control.

Assemblies???

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

The GFS  assemblies keep the colder weather longer than the control.

Brilliant news!!fingers crossed for more upgrades on the 12z

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

Brilliant news!!fingers crossed for more upgrades on the 12z

Yes, i'm secretly hoping for the uk high to retrogress to Scandy pulling in bitter easterlies as we head through January :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Why do models struggle with modelling over the plateau? That 1080mb is definitely model struggle. 

There are so many background signals at play when a Greenland High is model'd it's hardly surprising, Especially when it's playing with a 1080mb wopper.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed, Nick...Just need the right amount of phasing and energy-ejection and, of course these also need to be in the best place...the jackpot may be won? More runs required before we can see the way ahead with better clarity...:D

Hmm, I suppose this is what Nick is talking about T+114,  it steers ENE into France on this run significant snowfall out that feature. Appears like those thundery biscay lows we see in the summer there's potential. More runs required indeed.  I have never known such volatile output, who said it was going to be dry? :wink: 

:image.thumb.png.1cfe2833155a602a8122132dimage.thumb.png.c127714916c8b7ec522cfbad

image.png

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes, i'm secretly hoping for the uk high to retrogress to Scandy pulling in bitter easterlies as we head through January :D

Yea the trend seems to be going the right way now hopefully the trend continues and we might get that Scandy activity there is a nice cold pool out there to.

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yea the trend sames to be going the right way now hopefully the trend continues and we might get that Scandy activity there is a nice cold pool out there to.

Lets not lead ourselves up the garden path too much. We've seen where that lands us. I'm happy with the 06z from GFS in comparison to the 00z, but I'd like to see it the same or bettered on the 12z and at least some cross model agreement. Then I'll be happy(er)

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

There are so many background signals at play when a Greenland High is model'd it's hardly surprising, Especially when it's playing with a 1080mb wopper.

What I'm saying is, the models always overdo any pressure over Greenland plateau. Its gives an impression that it's a whopper when infact it isn't. You only have to look at it, those isobars look more like contour lines for the Greenland plateau than isobars. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Lets not lead ourselves up the garden path too much. We've seen where that lands us. I'm happy with the 06z from GFS in comparison to the 00z, but I'd like to see it the same or bettered on the 12z and at least some cross model agreement. Then I'll be happy(er)

I am not trying to led anybody up the garden path just saying the trend is improving thats why i said ""hopefully the trend continues"  :)

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

I am mot trying to led anybody up the garden path just saying the trend is improving thats why i said ""hopefully the trend continues"  :)

I know you're not, I didn't say you. :D Wasn't directed at any one person. Not my way.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Arrived back in England on Tuesday after spending the new year in Western Sweden (where Winter has arrived) , to be welcomed by some amazing synoptic charts however as is often the case things seem to have gone a bit pear shaped. The GFS 06z is a slight improvement on the 00z which does give some cause for optimism , however if the 12z doesn't follow suit then i'll not be putting the shorts and tee-shirts away just yet.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 2

Posted

I thought that a Scandi trough was the preferred option going by all the signals previously?

Suppose it goes to show how quickly things can change.

Posted

Ecmp keeps the upper greeny ridge and the southern stream heads into w Europe late on as the Azores low heads East to our South whilst we sit below a sausage shaped block . fairly settled but cold and low heights headed into Europe would be a bonus re CAA.  the evolution looks unlikely with various narrow upper ridges being thrown up through the run over the n Atlantic  basin.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
34 minutes ago, booferking said:

The GFS assemblies mean keep the colder weather longer than the control.

32 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Assemblies???

That's what I call a good cluster! :-)

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, joggs said:

I thought that a Scandi trough was the preferred option going by all the signals previously?

Suppose it goes to show how quickly things can change.

Still is but has become more scrussian trough as heights have risen nw Europe in week 2.  Pattern could back west again ........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Could be some fun and games from Wed onward, just purley going by the GFS 6z. Snow possibilities for many.

viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.60407075f8b766921viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.607c3e51c8cc0e32viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.81b3d93dea7a91d

3viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.e385d20d47727db4viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.d009000b54ce99a5viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.aabfc1d7524d5c2

6viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.571d58bcbff13f97viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.50b45d1b03cc9828viewimage.pbx.thumb.png.2762bf76aea1fbd

I could post more, temps continue to drop, snow chances moving south. I think we would be all happy to see snow falling let alone lying on the ground at this stage and then hopefully things get even more interesting toward the end of Jan. Who knows middle to end of next week may turn out fantastic anyway for many, like I've said before we don't need a mega freeze, just cold enough for snow. The ingredients are there :)

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Only model-related stuff in here, please...Ask regional questions in the regional threads. Thanks.:)

• Like 4