Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

Yeah, these are the GFS ens for next weekend, all look ok or good apart from the Op...some still look awesome for cold.

image.png

Posted

While the audience awaits the gfs6z i'm hopeful the meto might begin to mention the potential for snow on wed/thur soon.

If they are thinking like the ecm is-

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

While the audience awaits the gfs6z i'm hopeful the meto might begin to mention the potential for snow on wed/thur soon.

If they are thinking like the ecm is-

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.html

No model is right at picking up the trend all of the time. Let's hope the gfs takes a step towards the euros! 

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Singularity said:

:hi:

For sure there is doubt amongst the various outputs, be that longer term links, anomaly charts, mean charts or synoptic outputs. However, the overall idea initially of a change from the relentless wet weather causing so much havoc and discomfort to so many is going to change. The cold outbreak is showing signs of developing much as suggested 2-3 maybe as much as 5 days ago. It is a slow process due to the reluctance of the upper trough, for whatever reason, to move east. This ensures that the surface features beneath it also take a longish time to edge east to allow the more polar type air to move south. Just how this cold burst was able to develop with so many longer range teleconnections against it is a mystery to my simple mind. But develop it has and was well predicted, from my point of view, by the anomaly charts. They are now not consistent with one another, chiefly the EC-GFS outputs with NOAA staying with its idea of, perhaps, 8-10 days of an upper ridge west of us, and a relatively shallow upper trough east of it, before a more westerly upper flow returns. There is, as yet, no signal for any major deep cold outbreak in my view.

usual links

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 9

Posted

No real change on the GFS at day 4 unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'd be interested to know if things are still on track for GP's thoughts.

From what I understood he expected things to start showing in the model watching this weekend.

Anything before in my view would be an added bonus.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

Just how this cold bust was able to develop with so many longer range teleconnections against it is a mystery to my simple mind. But develop it has

Medium range indications I think were always pointing to a change John:

1. Tropospheric impacts of the sustained existence of the Kara HP

2. Elongation of the vortex under sustained wave 1, and occasional wave 2, attacks (though admittedly these attacks have not shredded vortex integrity yet)

3. Statistics point clearly to El Nino winters being colder in the 2nd half

4. Sustained strength of the MJO allowing the ENSO signal to be disrupted or perhaps over ridden

5. Forecasted strength of poleward flux encouraging a shift to a -AO pattern.

There were all in place prior to New Year.

• Like 8

Posted

gfs-2-126.png?6?6

As mentioned above, snow risk for Thursday shown on GFS 06Z too. Best to use the word "risk" for now as this is still so far out in meteorological terms - I've just noted the consistency of this idea across the models, and its now getting to the T120 stage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A better Snow 'risk' for Thursday from the GFS 6z.

a.pngb.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, now me moved on to next Thursday the flow is back from the North, definitely an upgrade on the 00z. Now to see where the WAA goes coming up from the Azores. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
14 minutes ago, Ramp said:

I'd be interested to know if things are still on track for GP's thoughts.

From what I understood he expected things to start showing in the model watching this weekend.

Anything before in my view would be an added bonus.

Yes - my understanding also. He expected a 3 week lag in the substantial impacts of the surge in AAM peaking 6th Jan, and so in terms of operational model output this drifts closer to op model range as we travel through next week. Agree also that what is happening for next week is a bonus - I dont have anywhere near GP's skill (or that of Tamara)... but the northerly we are about to see was seen as "transient" in that key forecast of a few days ago. The 1983 analogue would ultimately see the HP extend from Greenland across to Iceland with a NE feed over the UK via a north sea trough.

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 5

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Yes, now me moved on to next Thursday the flow is back from the North, definitely an upgrade on the 00z. Now to see where the WAA goes coming up from the Azores. 

Its a better run Ali- Certainly anyone lucky enough to get a bit of action on thur should keep their cover for a few days as the high builds in.

Definite shift towards ecm on the 6z imho.

• Like 1

Posted

Compare the GFS 0z and 06z for next Friday morning - obviously FI but a much better pattern and closer to the euros...

image.thumb.gif.19a586fa456cc4e7d5b3eaa0 - 0z

image.thumb.gif.1a142d1ad5958a0ed98c1721 - 06z

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

A definite upgrade from the 6z, much better at 168hrs, wouldn't need much of a shift to get some really cold uppers over the whole country.

gfsnh-1-168.png?6gfsnh-0-168.png?6

Much less flat than the 0z for the same time, so a bit of positive momentum going for coldies this morning!  Let's hope it continues? 

• Like 2

Posted

Yep a slight improvement from the 6z over the 0z. It's quite interesting to run the animated sequence or to scroll fast down the left hand side with meteociel to see how west to east dominated the run remains. This is very different from the much more meridional pattern of ECM and UKMO. Hmmm ....

I wonder if that 'much less flat' (Ice Day) is a sign of things to come? If so then the European models have scored a big hit over GFS. FI currently lies at about T114. All to play for.

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

This "channel low" we're seeing repeatedly pop up on the EC is really catching my eye. Somewhere in the Midlands could get a decent snow event out of that. Even so, there's certainly nothing mild on the 00z!

Absolutely, certainly the theme of the 6z is to prolong the cold still further, colds uppers still just about hanging on through to next Sunday.

gfsnh-1-192.png?6 6z

gfsnh-1-198.png?0 0z

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

This "channel low" we're seeing repeatedly pop up on the EC is really catching my eye. Somewhere in the Midlands could get a decent snow event out of that. Even so, there's certainly nothing mild on the 00z!

Yes i mentioned the midlands being my sweet spot next week Nick :)

As you say, nothing mild after tomorrow and scope for something nice.Those up north should see precip turning increasingly to snow through wed into thur, certainly places with altitude should see lying snow by the end of the week.

Looks wet rather than white in the woodshed though :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

Big swings again here from the GFS, anyone else think we could be in for a day of upgrades?? I must say this period of model watching has been one of the most fascinating in my 7 years of following this site. As a cold lover in winter so much uncertainty is a good sign as we have seen from December the models are very good at picking up mild set ups for the uk,which to be fair 80 % of the time in the uk  is our default winter pattern. As i have said before uncertainty breeds opportunity for cold.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Indeed, Nick...Just need the right amount of phasing and energy-ejection and, of course these also need to be in the best place...the jackpot may be won? More runs required before we can see the way ahead with better clarity...:D