Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
1 minute ago, Connor Bailey Degnan said:

Looks like another night of waiting up to see if the gfs 00z delivers, got a good feeling about this one. ECMWF could be extremely interesting, will it continue the 12z run with bitter cold air close to us? Anything could happen after day 5. It's just a guessing game from there on tbh.

Sorry for this but what time do the GFS 00Z Come out , Mods please delete after my Reply . Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!
1 minute ago, Cloud buster said:

Sorry for this but what time do the GFS 00Z Come out , Mods please delete after my Reply . Thanks

Starts at 3.30am should be done by 5 am :)

Posted
16 minutes ago, Cloud buster said:

Helpful to newcomers this archived thread: Model Output Update Times

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Singularity said:

We know the high level of the Greenland ice sheet causes the models issues but could it lead to that sort of thing?

Indeed, 10mb difference touted between model suites in the very near. I imagine the GFS guy in his tent on the Greenland Plateau (blue balls and frost in his eyes) looking up at the Europeans as their helicopter splutters and encounters lack of oxygen issues. The UK guys have just radioed in that they're just gonna make it up and go with the original curry flavour Pot Noodles next to their hexi burners for the night.

• Like 1

Posted

Seriously though, all data is OFF above Nuuk. If it's not wrong, its delayed. If it hasn't had US military clearance, its delayed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO coming more into line with the other models this morning.

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

GFS phases the Greenland shortwave with the Atlantic trough and ends the initial cold before the weekend.

gfsnh-0-156.png?0

UKMO is better but the Atlantic is poised so the upstream pattern is much flatter than modeled a couple of days ago. Quite a nice clean Norther;y though so it would be quite cold for as long as it lasted I imagine. 

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
28 minutes ago, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

Feels great being the one saying that the gfs 00z op is better than 18z,

cold next week with ice and snow; marginal in the south 

this could be a trend starter but 00z has a stronger Azores ridge but altogether a fairly snowy run so far 

Can't see the improvement if anything it ends the cold sooner and shuts of the Greenland high quicker. Not a good start to the day

image.jpg

Edited by snowangel32
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

More runs needed. Never in my life have I seen such a big clusterf**k of runs. The models are all over the place and there's shortwaves and ridges dotted all over the shop. 

Awaiting with bated breath for ECM and later GFS runs throughout the day. Interesting stuff nonetheless. But I'd take anything as far as 72-96hrs with a big pinch of salt.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

Feels great being the one saying that the gfs 00z op is better than 18z,

cold next week with ice and snow; marginal in the south 

this could be a trend starter but 00z has a stronger Azores ridge but altogether a fairly snowy run so far 

Can't say I agree with any of that,unless I  still have sleep in my eyes?

GFS is a terrible run, not that it means anything.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensemble analysis

Image result for insane

I don't think I have seen so many different and wide ranging variations at 144h, insane.

There are several issues that are not yet resolved.

The Icelandic shortwave and its implications.

The amplification of the upstream pattern.

The Greenland shortwave and its track

The Azores low and track

The Arctic height profile.

To name but a few and those just out to the mid term.

Oddly though there is quite a good signal in deep FI for another pressure rise from the South close to the UK somewhere near the last week in January. No way to know how this might actually manifest itself if GFS is onto something but some form of strong MLB looks quite plausible, perhaps UK high or a Scandi high. Just something to chew on  while we wait for this hi res mess to somewhat resolve itself.

SE England

Clearly the Op has little support for the way it phases the Atlantic trough with the Greenland shortwave

Diagramme GEFS

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Who upset the GFS!! Horror show really and the GEM looks kind of similar, I worry where the UKMO would go from 144, Both it and the GFS have that 980mb low upstream and looks quite flat but the UKMO has a decent northerly at least... 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe weather, tornadoes,intersting synopsis ,snow

GFS trying to put the final nail in the coffin ? Shocker..

Although there are a wide range of solutions throughout the suite the op and control are very similar on how they model the greenland shortwave energy and 300mb flow. Of course a disengagement in the subtropical jet  would lead to a much different outcome, but past experience would my give me little faith.

Posted

Better 850s at 144 from UKMO and ECM, -8 across a large part of the country and more direct  winds from the north. T168 could be interesting, setting up for an eastly perhaps!

EDIT: looking again not quite -8 uppers at 144, more like -6/7

168 is even colder but look like high pressure will be over us come 192, let's see 

EDIT part 2: I've seen enough, by 216 it's trying to reload the cold from the east/ North east, few adjustments and it could get there. I think this could still lead to an epic cold spell. Interesting times ahead :)

Edited by ICETAB

Posted

ECM looks quite good friday next week, with the cold lasting well into next weekend 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T144 of all 3. Similarities but little differences make a big difference to many.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

More runs needed. Never in my life have I seen such a big clusterf**k of runs. The models are all over the place and there's shortwaves and ridges dotted all over the shop. 

Awaiting with bated breath for ECM and later GFS runs throughout the day. Interesting stuff nonetheless. But I'd take anything as far as 72-96hrs with a big pinch of salt.

Spot on!!!  Never has forecasting been so               tempestuous! 

I have seen many a stuborn high ( even siberian back in early 90s and 80s , summer azores etc, but never have i seen such a large stubborn ( and high that rebuilds so quickly if it gets briefly disrupted). 

This med high seems to be the cause. 

Not sure if may folk know this but there are around 6/7 very strong inner core magnetic areas on planet earth. One of thise is southern Spain area and surrounding. Now imho this helps bolster more dominant high pressures. This is my theory as to why the azores/med highs are so powerful. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, radiohead said:

High pressure dominates on the ECM FI this morning. Extended settled conditions would be great news for areas that have been flooded.

ECM1-240.GIF?09-12

Obviously all conjecture at this stage, but at least the ECM follows last night's run with another run that has a 'cold high' over the uk at the end and frigid air just to the east of us, albeit with warmer uppers at the end - the south east holding onto the coldest air...

image.thumb.gif.6a6cc42b22fb5215b99d9917

image.thumb.gif.9100597d9d9b38f216b89c89image.thumb.gif.f646b80eb40b5e7e8f2ccbdb

the GFS - in its quest for consistency, loses the plot a little and is a mild outlier by the 19th...

image.thumb.png.64fbd13327af6842b1290ae8

to to use a well worn netweather cliche - more runs needed!

• Like 4

Posted

-8 uppers slide across the country on the Ecm around t144 then potential for a cold high to set up over the country, at least it would be dry. Maybe cold surface temperatures under that high. Still plenty of time for upgrades! 

Edited by Fingers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.