Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
3 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Model verification stats generally do not back this up, so I am curious as to why you think this.

Hi

Read the initial post containing the tweet from Ryan Maue and it will become clearer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

here you go- and the NAOao.sprd2.thumb.gif.0054a041b1d591ac685e2nao.sprd2-1.thumb.gif.427dd5af13479ba2a7

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

Hi

Read the initial post containing the tweet from Ryan Maue and it will become clearer.

He stated NWP predictability is higher when the AO is negative. Nothing in there about GFS being the one to follow. I would never trust GFS out beyond 120 - it overblows the atlantic nearly every time.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
15 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

here you go- and the NAOao.sprd2.thumb.gif.0054a041b1d591ac685e2nao.sprd2-1.thumb.gif.427dd5af13479ba2a7

Up & down - It's like following the FTSE although on this one it's great to see it keep sliding ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The De Bilt Control and Op look to be at the extreme range of what is likely:

eps_pluim_td_06260.thumb.png.968ef413505  eps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.84fc3f7d4df

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
18 minutes ago, Catacol said:

He stated NWP predictability is higher when the AO is negative. Nothing in there about GFS being the one to follow. I would never trust GFS out beyond 120 - it overblows the atlantic nearly every time.

Then again, others have accused it of being too eager to build Scandi highs?:cc_confused:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Well having now had a chance to digest all of the model output from today it is undeniable that we have been led up the garden path regarding the Greenland High.

However...I see absolutely no reason for despondency if you are a coldie particularly if you live Midlands Northwards.  The less cold messier scenario only serves to increase the snow risk over the next week or so surely?!

What I certainly don't see in the model output at present is a return to any sustained mild weather!  With the Northern Hemisphere profile setup as it is - it is surely only a matter of time before we are locked in the freezer?

I have a feeling that the output will start to swing back in coldies favour tomorrow anyway...no more than a hunch but maybe the ECM12z is the start of a sustained fightback?!

In the meantime, shall we have a little game of 'play your models right' in advance of the Pub Run?!  Will pressure be higher or lower over Greenland?  Good Game Good Game!!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

The 12z EPS 500mb mean/anomaly to day 15 are actually a big change to the extended 00z EPS mean. 

The 00z EPS H500 mean was all about retrogressing the +height anomaly over Greenland down into NE Canada while -height anomalies/troughing energy pushes NE toward the UK.

Now, the 12z EPS H500 has a +height anomaly ridge pushing east over Iceland/NE Atlantic and UK towards d15.

Very interesting for coldies ...

Thanks Nick,i have read a lot of "interesting" debate this evening and only in the last few moments have my ears pricked up. Your post and Tom Cs from Two have  restored some sanity .Not that the quality of posting has been substandard,but the complicated situation has led many to become confused along with the models.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 6

Posted

All i can say to gfs is you little beauty for picking that little kink to the northwest and sending it westwards creating this west based nao!!!ecm was late and the ukmo well its all at sea!!!what makes this even worse for cold lovers is everything else barr that pesky little showrtwave to the northwest was all set for a long cold spell!!might change back but my money is on what the gfs is showing at the moment!!any improvements on the 18z?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
7 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Thanks Nick,i have read a lot of "interesting" debate this evening and only in the last few moments have my ears pricked up. Your post and Tom Cs from Two have  restored some sanity .Not that the quality of posting has been substandard,but the complicated situation has led many to become confused along with the models.

Indeed, it's difficult to jump on any bandwagon at the moment, prefer to sit on the fence, even if the 12z EPS sways to prolonging the cold! 

Going to be more twist and turns from the models for sure over the coming days, so don't worry too much about the 12z GFS op horror show in FI ...

• Like 5

Posted

bearing in mind the snippets of info from the professionals regarding the ECM ensembles, would anyone care to have a little wager that the 18z GFS is at the very least 'hinting' at a scandi high by day 10?

i'd bet my house on it...

• Like 2

Posted

12z GFSP fairly consistent with general gfs solution. In week 2, establishes nw European high with brief easterly which then retrogresses to Greenland at the end of the run. That's a more reliable way of getting a greeny ridge and the timing ..........

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
8 minutes ago, shaky said:

All i can say to gfs is you little beauty for picking that little kink to the northwest and sending it westwards creating this west based nao!!!ecm was late and the ukmo well its all at sea!!!what makes this even worse for cold lovers is everything else barr that pesky little showrtwave to the northwest was all set for a long cold spell!!might change back but my money is on what the gfs is showing at the moment!!any improvements on the 18z?

Looks like upgrade on way that low over UK moving east quicker so far!

Edited by snowice

Posted

Goodness me a look at 18z 120 shows just how complicated this setup is, for the models to guess where every bit of energy goes must be incredibly difficult.

I'd say this is a lonnnnnnnng way from being resolved.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Some improvement in amplification upstream compared to 12z so should be a fair bit better but we would be much better off with that Icelandic shortwave either sodding off altogether or forming further South and/or East.

gfsnh-0-126.png?18

The Greenland shortwave will hinder the Northerly flow but also aid the ridging behind.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Some improvement in amplification upstream compared to 12z so should be a fair bit better but we would be much better off with that Icelandic shortwave either sodding off altogether or forming further South and/or East.

gfsnh-0-126.png?18

18z Would produce snow for scotland NEngland next week mucka.

Posted

Gfs 18z so far

126h we have heavy bands of snow pushing in from the west, with colder uppers filtering through, very nice

Rtavn1262.gif

Rtavn1264.gif

Rtavn12617.gif

Would be a bit borderline at first but would likely turn to snow for many. Yes speculative but not bad at under 130h.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Hull snow said:

Looking better then the 12z tho which is small steps I guess 

Maybe the reversal has begun :D

Ever so slight improvement imo, certainly for the north chances of snow shwers through the week .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

What's that 1005 pressure ridge building over Scandi.

gfs-0-150.png