Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

First frost of the year here today. Very light one though.
But welcomed, as a few frosts and its then time to start picking the Parsnips.
1.5c low at 7:30 am, 1.7c now.
Light Westerly wind, 1019 hPa

Edited by lettice

Posted

Light snow shower just now, didn't settle but radar shows a couple of  bands of ppn have made it over the Bristol Channel and are headed south so hopefully a bit more snow potential here.

Edited by Barbel
Typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Interesting Ian, if nothing else I would welcome some drier weather.

Not particularly cold in Weston, lowest I've got down to so far in this cold spell is 2.7c & no frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Another frosty start plenty of ice on untreated surfaces (go careful folks)

Posted
13 minutes ago, Barbel said:

Light snow shower just now, didn't settle but radar shows a couple of  bands of ppn have made it over the Bristol Channel and are headed south so hopefully a bit more snow potential here.

Just had a rain shower here from that same band lol.

Temp risen to 3.7c

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yes, some troubling-looking selections of output this morning for early next week, more especially for N and E of W Country. But exceptionally low confidence on what will unfold. Interestingly, latest UKMO overnight prognosis through Feb builds Atlantic block with us on colder eastern side/troughing... we may have the experience of current period to unravel yet again further down the line.

Well

Isolating the longitude of the ENSO standing wave, there is an associated risk to the "El Nino" February U.S. pattrn

Image2.thumb.jpg.de80cca4b315509a28bd2ff

Posted
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well

Isolating the longitude of the ENSO standing wave, there is an associated risk to the "El Nino" February U.S. pattrn

Image2.thumb.jpg.de80cca4b315509a28bd2ff

Yes, interesting...UKMO briefing also noted it's in line with their expectations for broader late Winter El Niño hemispheric pattern.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

So close to a sub-zero minima last night, then it somehow warmed up before dawn! Just need a day that doesn't make it to 5C with a minimum below zero and I can mark it as the start of a cold spell.

Looked nice and white over the hills of Wales on my drive to work up the M5 this morning. Some nice cbs out west too. Sadly, I think that's where they'll stay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Beautifully sunny frosty morning here. There are some snow grains frozen to the table outside but that's about all. Anyone know if Frome/Salisbury direction got any snow last night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
On 1/7/2016 at 0:15 PM, khodds said:

And there is the possibility that it will of course track far too south and hit northern France, as we only know too well..

Well that was first bust for the season so far :sorry: 

I think we should just look away for a couple of days and see if we still have anything showing Sunday because odds are against it being a snow event at all for west country unless we see something special. It has been years since we had a favorable slider.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, jethro said:

Beautifully sunny frosty morning here. There are some snow grains frozen to the table outside but that's about all. Anyone know if Frome/Salisbury direction got any snow last night?

No not a thing last night!!! didn't even make it below 0c after what seemed a promising start!! oh well 

im liking Ian updates, i think we all agree we are lucky to have him on here

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
7 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Well that was first bust for the season so far :sorry: 

I think we should just look away for a couple of days and see if we still have anything showing Sunday because odds are against it being a snow event at all for west country unless we see something special. It has been years since we had a favorable slider.

We shouldn't have to wait too much longer surely? Why don't they Synoptics of the great winters past EVER happen anymore :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Sorry to sound like a stuck record but more snow falling today here. Bit of a streamer lining up as well :D

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, jethro said:

We're 5 miles South of Salisbury Jethro, so on the wrong side; but no, nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
22 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Looked nice and white over the hills of Wales on my drive to work up the M5 this morning.

Just don't look at the traffic Wales web cams if you don't want to get depressed.

I'm sure our time will come eventually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
11 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Sorry to sound like a stuck record but more snow falling today here. Bit of a streamer lining up as well :D

Nice one fk! Atleast someone in our region is doing well. 

Thanks for the Update Ian. Interesting stuff indeed.

Interestingly the JMA longer term has been punting at cold for a while, so lets hope for all the coldies February brings a long awaited cold spell to the UK and the elusive white flakes by the bucket load :cold:

That has changed my mood this morning, what would we do without interesting weather!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
1 hour ago, dec10snow said:

Looks nice on dartcam! If only that was everywhere...

http://www.dartcom.co.uk/webcam

Yes, I'm off up there for more snow! :D

Posted
4 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Enjoy. Plenty on the higer tors. Looks like a streamer has set up around princetown as well. Snowing at home but I'm in work in greenest plymouth :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

you take it easy if you are driving lots of ice around

Posted
33 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Nice one fk! Atleast someone in our region is doing well. 

Thanks for the Update Ian. Interesting stuff indeed.

Interestingly the JMA longer term has been punting at cold for a while, so lets hope for all the coldies February brings a long awaited cold spell to the UK and the elusive white flakes by the bucket load :cold:

That has changed my mood this morning, what would we do without interesting weather!!

Still looking like a warm up for us here in the sw this week (relative though - not like December) so the snow potential weakens after the weekend but the chance for a return of cold stuff a possibility. I see on the gfs that the south east to stay in the freezer getting a continental drift. If we can tap into that then that certainly ups the chances for some snow. Tell you what though hard to keep up with the changes 4 times a day :cc_confused:

Posted

Well I've just come back from the obligatory drive up to Princetown after the school run and was pleasantly surprised.

I was thinking a light dusting but I'm guessing they had about 3-4". Not much by some standards I know but better than nothing.

It was snowing heavily when I left, with sleet, snow and hail down as far as Yelverton when i got home. showers on and off still.

The roads around Princetown were quite tricky and I've got a 4x4. I wanted to pull over to take some pics for you all but white van man was driving like a lunatic behind me and in the snow it's tricky to find the pull in places. Still, hopefully that won't be the last this winter.

Really hope you all get lucky (Snow wise of course!!!!)

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Well I've just come back from the obligatory drive up to Princetown after the school run and was pleasantly surprised.

I was thinking a light dusting but I'm guessing they had about 3-4". Not much by some standards I know but better than nothing.

It was snowing heavily when I left, with sleet, snow and hail down as far as Yelverton when i got home. showers on and off still.

The roads around Princetown were quite tricky and I've got a 4x4. I wanted to pull over to take some pics for you all but white van man was driving like a lunatic behind me and in the snow it's tricky to find the pull in places. Still, hopefully that won't be the last this winter.

Really hope you all get lucky (Snow wise of course!!!!)

Cracking! However that means that plymouth will decamp to the road to princetown this weekend. Think I'll nip up just before dawn and be back by 9. I have the radar up today keeping track of the showers. However if it starts getting heavier do let me know!!!

Posted

Set your alarm FK.

A few years back we all got up early, packed hot bacon sandwiches and hot chocolate and went to a field we like off Burrator.

Built the snow men, did the sledging, ate the picnic, took the photos etc. After 3 hours we realised we were still the only ones there. Heaven.

Turns out the police had closed all roads onto the moor just as we got through. With 2 young Children it was magical. This obsession for snow is all about memories for me.

Sunshine and showers here.

• Like 3