Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Extreme weather this evening. I can't measure wind speeds, but must have been strongest of the autumn as greenhouse blown over.

Given the extreme weather you'd expect the BBC to be paying careful attention, but no they've left 'Dougal' in charge:

Forecast for 9pm at T+0:56b664bc9d569_20160206MysteryRain-Foreca Moderate rain should have just cleared here.

Actual at 9pm:56b664df3cead_20160206MysteryRain-Actual Very heavy rain only just reached here and looks set to continue for a few hours.

Come on, Dougal, this is very basic stuff.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted

Coming down on Monday to Cricket st Thomas for a birthday few days away,judging by comments on here this evening,Somerset will have quite serious flood problems by then if not already.

Posted

41mm in 24 hours since it started raining yesterday mid-late evening and it's just stopping now, there was a drier phase from 09.00-12.00 today when the front seemed to buckle back Westwards for several hours.

Regarding wintry chances on Tuesday, it reminds me of a set up from a few years ago on a Thursday in February when it suddenly turned cooler but still very unsettled allowing frequent showers to become wintry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's eerily quiet outside now.

Temp has dropped to 6.6°C

Wind gusts by hour                                  Wind speeds by hour

download.thumb.png.c129981fff5a67fc800ad 56b67dc60a987_download(1).thumb.png.331e

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Posted

A couple of hail showers during the night but fairly quiet at the moment with broken cloud and some Cu. Temp 5,5C and wind WNW 20mph gusting 35.

Still looking at a stormy day tomorrow thanks to Imogen and still under an amber warning. The GFS has winds gusting in the 60kt area.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_6.thumb.png.dfa59203b

And the latest from the METO.

An area of low pressure, which will bring some very strong winds across southern parts of the UK as it moves eastwards on Monday, has been named as Storm Imogen.

Gusts of 60-70 mph are possible in southern England and parts of south Wales with 80 mph gusts possible in exposed coastal districts. Some very large waves are also likely along some coasts, especially along the north coast of Cornwall and Devon.

The Met Office has today (Sunday 7 February) issued an Amber “be prepared” National Severe Weather Warning for for wind for Storm Imogen which is valid from 3 am until 6 pm on Monday.  There is also a larger Yellow “be aware” Severe Weather Warning for wind valid from 3 am to 6 pm on Monday.

PPVG89.thumb.gif.8b286a6606236c45c0f1fbe

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2016/02/07/storm-imogen-brings-gales-to-southern-areas-of-britain/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Sleet and hail showers this morning thus far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Two hailstorms this morning, one of which just had to time itself for me walking to the train station grr! Also 4C when I left so the colder air is coming.

Just passing Keynsham on the train and the fields next to the old Cadbury factory are worse than they were this time in 2014!

Posted

Lovely blue skies this morning, feels quite bitter out there.
4mm of rain yesterday night and a little drizzle early morning
8.3c, 994 hPa, WSW winds 14 mph, highest gust 20mph

Just in case any of you had forgotten what a blue sky looks like, took this just now;

2016-02-07 09.32.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well I took a deep breath before checking forecast this morning for Tuesday but I was pleasantly surprised to see heavy snow forecast still on meto app as well as netweathers postcode forecast. :D

Could it really be our time? :give_rose::shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Unsettled..  Strengthening winds from 18:00 . Amber Wind warning out For Monday... 5.6c. Wind  Chill  4.4c. Breeze  22km/h Westerly  Pressure 981.5hpa. Humidity 90%rh.  Precipitation Yesterday 45.9mm 0.9mm Today.  51mm. This Month.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
10 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Well I took a deep breath before checking forecast this morning for Tuesday but I was pleasantly surprised to see heavy snow forecast still on meto app as well as netweathers postcode forecast. :D

I'm not believing it. I refuse to :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted

Morning. Dry with a blue sky  here :)

Dilemma of the day.....do we fix the fence,  or do we leave it until after Imogen has passed through in case we lose it again?

Posted
47 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I'm with Khodds, not believing.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

And you may be right. First you see it, now you don't

gfs_6hr_precip_uk2_11.thumb.png.88b846c2

Don't break me knocker i'm hanging on by a thread.. :crazy:

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning. Dry with a blue sky  here :)

Dilemma of the day.....do we fix the fence,  or do we leave it until after Imogen has passed through in case we lose it again?

I'd be inclined to leave as the wind will be stronger than yesterday. Also of note, the next two depressions are setting up. So Thursday looks bleak, as does next weekend, so I'd wait at least another week or so yet before considering replacing anything.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

Don't break me knocker i'm hanging on by a thread.. :crazy:

Well I shouldn't worry NK it's the GFS so all change next run although I suspect you are going to have to be very lucky.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

Well I shouldn't worry NK it's the GFS so all change next run although I suspect you are going to have to be very lucky.

Tuesday is also my day off so I can sit up on Waltons mountain and enjoy best possible view if it came to fruition. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Tuesday is also my day off so I can sit up on Waltons mountain and enjoy best possible view if it came to fruition. :D

I'm still looking Ok for Tuesday morning in Princetown.

Forecasts and model data have consistently ranged from sleet, light snow & heavy snow.  WBFL looks Ok for Princetown on most models.  Arpege looked good this morning.

Was going to go to High Willhays but that looks inaccessible by road and because I'll have 2 young children with me, I won't be able to do too much walking.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I'd be inclined to leave as the wind will be stronger than yesterday. Also of note, the next two depressions are setting up. So Thursday looks bleak, as does next weekend, so I'd wait at least another week or so yet before considering replacing anything.

Thank you. Will erect a temporary barricade just to keep the dogs in then. It's a weak spot in the fence anyway, a section of larchlap between two sections of close board, (impossible to get a close board one in there) which means when it's really windy the larchlap bit tends to pop open.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Taken from Fergies twitter.

W COUNTRY, MON #StormImogen: UPDATE 1045hrs Amber Warning extended N to #Bristol #Bath & S Glos. Yellow extended N.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Am I the only one not getting too excited about tomorrow... The winds aren't going to be exceptional really are they? 60-70mph isn't really exceptional in my eyes? It happens in winter, we have got used to it... 80/90mph+ maybe I would be getting excited.. The rain is another matter I know. Sorry - maybe it's just me?!