Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 hours ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

One good thing about having no snow is that you're not gutted when it all melts.

Do you remember this snow fall? looked very decent. Certainly no snow deflector in your location on that day lol

I think this was Blackpool on the same day?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Do you remember this snow fall? looked very decent. Certainly no snow deflector in your location on that day lol

I think this was Blackpool on the same day?

I think Feb may well be a good one this year if the strat continues to play ball, some good forecasts out there at the min. Here's hoping as still waiting for snow. I think a less cold blip is on the way first....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Cloudy cool and meh... 2c the min ovenight and it's currently 3.9c, there are a few more breaks appearing so may get a frost tonight if cloud continues to break up. Back to mild rubbish into the weekend. 

Posted
56 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Cloudy cool and meh... 2c the min ovenight and it's currently 3.9c, there are a few more breaks appearing so may get a frost tonight if cloud continues to break up. Back to mild rubbish into the weekend. 

It seems that this cold spell has gone downhill after Sat's snowfall with no frosts since Friday night!

The modelsw don't look inspiring to say the least!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, karyo said:

It seems that this cold spell has gone downhill after Sat's snowfall with no frosts since Friday night!

Such a shame and frustrating!! If it had cleared after the snowfall we would've had some decent frosts and kept hold of some snow cover.... Models look horrific if you want seasonal frosty & snowy weather! R.I.P winter 15/16.... :nonono:

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

Yes turned into a bit of a let down really.As you say Karyo, the models look dreadful to the end of January now. We got to hope Feb produces but im starting to lose hope now if truth be told.

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Such a shame and frustrating!! If it had cleared after the snowfall we would've had some decent frosts and kept hold of some snow cover.... Models look horrific if you want seasonal frosty & snowy weather! R.I.P winter 2016.... :nonono:

Yes, all that cloud has been a huge spoiler. I was watching the BBC forecasts on Saturday talking with confidence about clearing skies and hard frosts after the snow but instead cloud all the way.

They did very badly with the cloud amounts and even now I am not confident that this cloud will clear. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes turned into a bit of a let down really.As you say Karyo, the models look dreadful to the end of January now. We got to hope Feb produces but im starting to lose hope now if truth be told.

Some posts in the stratosphere thread are interesting, saying that the horrid outlook in the models could be due to an initial response to the stratospheric warming and hopefully more favourable blocking will set up sometime in February but no guarantees. Either way, it seems like the rest of January (from Friday onwards) is going to be mild.

• Like 1

Posted

Suppose we still have roughly 6 weeks of winter to go and I never give up hope even through March as that can and has delivered some notable cold and snowy weather. The problem by that time is the lengthening days and higher sun which tends to melt snow quicker through the day, but such weather in March doesn't have that special feeling it does when it happens in winter proper. So the way I look at it there's still 10 weeks left of wintry weather potential... March 2013 was exceptional and unlikely to be repeated but not impossible...  Reading Ian F's post in the MOD GLOSEA is hinting SSW during February so maybe a colder March is on the cards? But an SSW doesn't guarantee cold blocked weather for us...  

Didn't get much snow IMBY but you didn't have to travel far to find some, pic below was the last week of March 2013, quite impressive to have ice days and blowing snow at that time of year! We can dream... Like December 2010, March 2013 set unreal expectations. 

march3.thumb.jpg.f3b8ea1cad96394bed07ff2

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted

Famous pic from March 2013

_66569022_66569021.thumb.jpg.dbed3c3657b

Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, and Cumbria and western parts of the North West fared better with the precipitation, inland and to the east of the region didn't get quite so much, but I still remember the bitter winds whipping up a few snow drifts over the tops of the hills.

There here and now... it's a bit meh... we're not even joining in with the coldest parts of the country due to the pesky low cloud base overnight.  45 pages of frenzied posting during Saturday when it was snowing (for some).  1 page a day since... says it's all.

Hopefully February will deliver the snow and lots of it... (wishful thinking)

• Like 5

Posted
53 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Famous pic from March 2013

_66569022_66569021.thumb.jpg.dbed3c3657b

Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, and Cumbria and western parts of the North West fared better with the precipitation, inland and to the east of the region didn't get quite so much, but I still remember the bitter winds whipping up a few snow drifts over the tops of the hills.

There here and now... it's a bit meh... we're not even joining in with the coldest parts of the country due to the pesky low cloud base overnight.  45 pages of frenzied posting during Saturday when it was snowing (for some).  1 page a day since... says it's all.

Hopefully February will deliver the snow and lots of it... (wishful thinking)

Im really losing hope fast dodgerdee.

The meto mrf and bbc monthly are pants, no other word for it.

Yes i know they can change but early to mid feb is my cut off point for a freeze and the clock it ticking fast now as the sun get higher in the sky and gathers strength.

personally Dec/Jan are my two main moths for a freeze and with any cold beginning to look very unlikely you cansay the grand total over the two main winter months has been an evening of snow preety much gone by the next morning, pretty pathetic really.

Im near to saying roll on spring, i really dont want cold in march april, thats just the ultimate insult in my book.

• Like 3

Posted

Some big patches of blue sky! Temp 4.2c. 

Posted

Boring overcast skies again with temp sticking around 3c... No chance of a frost again thanks to the cloud cover, be glad when the winds pick up and move this stagnant muck out of the way! The ECM looks horrific this evening to the end of January! 

Posted

Pathetic 30 mins sunshine around midday before the stratus muck re-developed. What frost people are talking about? It is 4.9C outside. Oh yeah, it did not rain today, almost forgot to mention this.. Come on Spring, this Winter is useless.

Edited by rain_shadow

Posted

Not a lot to talk about weather wise although it's been a cold one today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
8 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Im really losing hope fast dodgerdee.

The meto mrf and bbc monthly are pants, no other word for it.

Yes i know they can change but early to mid feb is my cut off point for a freeze and the clock it ticking fast now as the sun get higher in the sky and gathers strength.

personally Dec/Jan are my two main moths for a freeze and with any cold beginning to look very unlikely you cansay the grand total over the two main winter months has been an evening of snow preety much gone by the next morning, pretty pathetic really.

Im near to saying roll on spring, i really dont want cold in march april, thats just the ultimate insult in my book.

It would be great if we got the best of the cold and snow from late November to mid Jan, it would be just perfect with the sun being at it's weakest. Rarely happens like that though! you can bet we will get snow at easter but by then it will only last about an hour on the floor when mr sunshine zaps it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Hurray!! It is cold, clear and frosty here!! :)

I cannot stopped coughing here since I left Tenerife it is worse at night.  Maybe sudden dramatic change of temperatures have actually caused it?? I don't know.

Posted
1 hour ago, pip22 said:

Hurray!! It is cold, clear and frosty here!! :)

Lucky you, it's overcast and 4C here, as it has been since Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

No frost again! Too much cloud but it's looking a lot thinner with some sunny breaks. Current temp 2.9c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Frost is already melted here now. :( 

Posted

Dazzling winter sunshine now! High of 6c, currently 5.3c... May get an early frost although the wind is due to strengthen and cloud roll in later, typical!!!  

Posted

We are likely to get a frost tonight! Woohoo!

It will be the last one for a long while judging by the models.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice not to have any cloud for a change!! Decent sunset earlier whilst out with the dogs. Temp down to 1.7c. 

image.thumb.jpeg.20f0b6525bd7d070da748a0 image.thumb.jpeg.4c9c9ae3b6cfcba01c2bf72

• Like 1