Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted

Euro4 looks pretty good with dew points for central and eastern england at 48 hours!!gota agree with steve and nick here and think the models arw underplaying snow on the leading edge and if they are then some places could see snow from start to finish!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

T60hrs fax chart, I'm still very surprised the UKMO aren't mentioning snow ahead of the front, you can see the comparison between that and the earlier one to T72hrs.

fax60s.thumb.gif.1c47b24132d2c8a3df05ca2fax72s.thumb.gif.df29e6c13d02ee8d01afb23

Louise Lear Mentions leading edge on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

airpressure.png

This looks to be where cold air ahead of front mixed out, to me this looks SW'ly Atlantic air, surely with that it cannot start as snow, but just what it looks, I'm no expert but surely need the air on more negative SSE angle

Yes unlikely to start as snow because of that especially towards the west but as the shallow low forms and digs se this brings back some colder 850's, the main mixing out is towards the west the far se will still have enough of a surface feed off  France. Because of the slack flow you'll likely get some evaporative cooling, much depends on the intensity of the precip.

I think the UKMO currently are just going for back edge snow as the precip is undercut by that PM air.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Euro4 looks pretty good with dew points for central and eastern england at 48 hours!!gota agree with steve and nick here and think the models arw underplaying snow on the leading edge and if they are then some places could see snow from start to finish!!

Euro4 looks poor to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Definitely one to watch, Louise Lears 6.30 forecast summed things up nicely!

Can things actually fall into place at least one time this winter?

Lets hope so.

Posted

Putting aside the shorter term the ECM is all over the place between runs. We may well see some more interest next week as the models seem to be picking up more amplitude, perhaps the MJO is helping things along.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

GFS shows dew points above zero ahead of the front on Weds along with -2c uppers

gfsnh-1-48.thumb.png.bfe587c3eb13c04129e56c21b3a022fb_viewimage(13).thumb.png.62

which would favour back edge snow more as the colder air from the west cuts in later and dews come down..

l1.thumb.png.5100928a8ca930856aed67f923al2.thumb.png.9749ad1705da273e9d6a02f7e9356c21c2291930_viewimage(14).thumb.png.81

On those snow charts just to stress they are indeed only % risk as it says on the tin and they include the freezing levels (mtrs above sea level).Based on these just for fun as they say we can see how patchy any snow fall may be and would favour elevated areas.

Of course the individual models will have different detail  but it does show the forecasting difficulty with such a marginal setup.

• Like 2

Posted

The ECM tries to develop a ridge to the nw but the PV returns. However it seems the models are shortening the milder interlude.

The ECM is quite cold from T144hrs right through to T240hrs, if we could find a bit more amplitude upstream then it could develop more favourably. I think however any proper cold is more likely to be coming from a ridge to the  ne rather than nw at this time.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Nothing mild about the Ecm 12z run this evening apart from fleetingly on Sunday (T+144 hours) further south but generally it looks at least a little colder than average with the jet axis tilted more towards nw / se bringing colder polar maritime shots and further chances of wintry ppn including snow, especially to hills and night frosts, even a settled spell later with crisp sunny days and widespread frosty nights.:):cold:

96_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

168_thick.png

192_thick.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Also lets not forget about those all important thicknesses. Higher thicknesses getting mixed out rapidly on the euro4. For newbies, thicknesses need to be blue. This is just one of many factors to consider. 

image.thumb.gif.f1039eedea99f04f03b6acec

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Also lets not forget about those all important thicknesses. Higher thicknesses getting mixed out rapidly on the euro4. For newbies, thicknesses need to be blue. This is just one of many factors to consider. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

The blue/green line only represents a 40% chance of anything falling being snow, obviously that depends on other factors.

Posted
24 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Must say those thicknesses look pretty damn good on the euro4!!hopefully it continues on the 18z!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening All......As regards Wednesday weather, Cold rain for most , and the precip does not look to heavy either for most.  You know ,Im desperate to see snow falling and settling even for a few hours, as at the moment I see a depressing damp ,raw miserable day. Thursday for some holds more potential......:cold:

weds.png

wedsx.png

wedsxx.png

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted

Whilst temperatures  may be faverouble for snow in the south east, I think lack of precipitation may be the issue. Most models show the front stalling in central areas and by the time it finally clears into south eastern areas it is just light and patchy drizzle

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

Just going to state out here ,that the latest BBC forecast I saw showed the front on Wednesday and it was more speckled white so I think the snow chances have increased.just my own feeling here but I would hazard a guess of the sweetspot being ,east Midlands down towards central southern England angeling southwestward!somwhere like Oxfordshire  would see heavy falls just my opinion:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

And..... back to the model discussion please, there are other threads to comment on the metoffice/bbc outlooks.

The regional threads are also a good place to go for a more localised outlook.

Cheers

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2