Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 18z 31/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

As Ian said the other day if the front stalls and fizzles in situ then some lowland snow into Thursday is a possibility.

GFS does exactly this on the 00z

image.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

To be honest I just don't see it. The showers currently affecting East Anglia are prominently rain and that's in a cold NE airflow.

I think the peak district may see snow; but low lying central areas will surely be rain. Looking at how this winter has panned out I don't expect any surprises. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

GFS 00z take on Wednesday snow risk..

d.thumb.png.c6a6e19e364e54c569697d508b5fe.thumb.png.073ad5664bb63fdb9bf90ac4d7a5f.thumb.png.f4980c7e6594859084d8969fbb36

The GFS also maintains some cold 'wintry' Pm shots into the run from the weekend.

a.thumb.png.2c2f0c59f399a70b4c2ef1876d46b.thumb.png.17314c0ddf90993cd67e56254a38c.thumb.png.8a3e7a0f5af6af8b1690187ef161

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

To be honest I just don't see it. The showers currently affecting East Anglia are prominently rain and that's in a cold NE airflow.

I think the peak district may see snow; but low lying central areas will surely be rain. Looking at how this winter has panned out I don't expect any surprises. 

Have to agree, the slightly better speed and orientation of the front on the overnight runs does hold out at least a little hope, but frankly I just can't get over enthusiastic about an hour or two of wet snow, which even if it it did settle would quickly get smashed up by the returning Atlantic on Thu-Fri. I guess the amount of interest in midweeks potential event underlines just what a shocking winter this has been for cold and who knows, 10 years down the line we may see similar kinds of excitement over an impending ground frost! Roll on spring now imo. 

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
17 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Edited by Gustywind
Presumably that's due to the North Sea though isn't it and the above average temps? That won't be a factor on Weds/Thurs. I remember in Jan 10 ((I think), the east seeing rain off an easterly with colder 850s than now due to the North Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The hi res models have the front(s) stalling as well and it looks like the NW, Wales and W. Midlands are the sweet spots:

Arpege - T44arpegeuk-1-44-0.thumb.png.6648a3e78ba845 T80:arpegeuk-1-80-0.thumb.png.7ab50d25f27071 NMM:nmmuk-1-72-0.thumb.png.e190b61b542b26a60

Rain initially and as the fronts die in situ turning more wintry, but looking like mostly light by then, maybe the snizzle variety, with your height above sea level  also being a factor. Still subject to change of course.

Further into the GFS run around D11 onwards there looks to be WAA heading to the Arctic (op and control) so that may get interesting late Feb:

op: gfsnh-0-312.thumb.png.eaad93a0424906fc5a control:gensnh-0-1-360.thumb.png.f93a2d885752dc5Op 850sgfsnh-1-348.thumb.png.750c959cde730f84f0

Again the axis of cold from the x-flow favours East US and Asia, and we will have to benefit from the PM flows coming off the extreme cold of the conus. Typical of the last few years, just relying on stalling fronts, PM shots and Storms (Frank) to get anything wintry. See how that will develop...

Posted

Upgrades this morning regarding snow midweek!!remember nick sussex mentioning yesterday that if a low could develop near the channel and isle of man then that would be good as we drag in maybe slightly colder dew points!!well guess what ecm has gone and done that at 72 hours and arpege has pretty much looked the same for the last 3 runs!!infact it keeps backing that front further west to such an extent it just about reaches eastern parts of east anglia!!

Posted
8 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

During the weekend, GloSea5 trended away from an anticyclonic outcome for early March. However, given MJO cycling through phases 6-7, UKMO assessments continue to offer caveat of "slightly increased chance of blocked/colder conditions" turn of month-early March; i.e. outcome *may* run contra to majority of current ENS from GloSea and EC Monthly (which have broadly zonal background signals into 1st half of March).

Thanks for the update Ian.  I think its a difficult forecast for the UKMO because balancing out the El Nino versus MJO and how much the former modifies the signal. I suspect if some blocking does show up it won't be picked up a long way in advance.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

Thanks for the update Ian.  I think its a difficult forecast for the UKMO because balancing out the El Nino versus MJO and how much the former modifies the signal. I suspect if some blocking does show up it won't be picked up a long way in advance.

Agreed. And there's enough nearer-term forecasting difficulty to ponder by midweek in any case....!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

During the weekend, GloSea5 trended away from an anticyclonic outcome for early March. However, given MJO cycling through phases 6-7, UKMO assessments continue to offer caveat of "slightly increased chance of blocked/colder conditions" turn of month-early March; i.e. outcome *may* run contra to majority of current ENS from GloSea and EC Monthly (which have broadly zonal background signals into 1st half of March). 

Given the current stratosphere forecasts, if it were to be zonal, one would perhaps expect zonality of the colder variety with the Jet on a NW-SE axis with the threat of brief blocking phases by way of an Atlantic ridge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Definite upgrade in snow potential through the midweek period across most of England and Wales on the Gfs 00z op, initially rain but as colder air digs in from the west the main slow moving rain zone becomes more wintry with snow to increasingly lower levels as the front slowly edges southeastwards...good luck fellow coldies!:drinks:

00_78_preciptype.png

00_78_uk2mtmpmin.png

00_78_naptypemslp.png

00_90_preciptype.png

00_93_preciptype.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Agreed. And there's enough nearer-term forecasting difficulty to ponder by midweek in any case....!

Yes I've just seen the UKMO fax charts!   The T72 and T84hrs are particularly interesting for members in here, the shallow low which forms in the Channel and very slow movement east of the fronts. I can't remember the last time I saw this type of set up. Its very unusual and I can imagine a bit of a problem to nail down the detail for the UKMO.

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes I've just seen the UKMO fax charts!   The T72 and T84hrs are particularly interesting for members in here, the shallow low which forms in the Channel and very slow movement east of the fronts. I can't remember the last time I saw this type of set up. Its very unusual and I can imagine a bit of a problem to nail down the detail for the UKMO.

Yup. Equally, the W'ward shift in snow signal overnight (eg 00z EC, which progs more southern reach of snow risk especially Midlands/E Wales/approx down to M4 and across to Chilterns). Either way, PPN rate will be critical component given sensitivity in this set-up to PPN phase. A key point here is to distinguish between the now moderate likelihood of some areas further south in England seeing snow *falling* versus settling. Likelihood of latter currently looks much lower in HRes accumulation products: mostly above 200m but generally patchy/slight in nature. Tricky all-round. 

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yup. Equally, the W'ward shift in snow signal overnight (eg 00z EC, which progs more southern reach of snow risk especially Midlands/E Wales/approx down to M4 and across to Chilterns). Either way, PPN rate will be critical component given sensitivity in this set-up to PPN phase. A key point here is to distinguish between the now moderate likelihood of some areas further south in England seeing snow *falling* versus settling. Likelihood of latter currently looks much lower in HRes accumulation products: mostly above 200m but generally patchy/slight in nature. Tricky all-round.

Yes I think PPN rates will be important but whats interesting is the waves forming along the front. It could be that some heavier precip develops and that shallow low formation in the Channel could add a bit more energy into the front.  Even though this is only 3 days away theres too much uncertainty for the UKMO to give a detailed forecast.

Quite unusual to see a front which is effecting such a large area from Svalbard to southern Spain:

fax84s.thumb.gif.abaebed7ce6d9a6d243bc62

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Big changes by the weekend still on show as we swap the colder air for something much milder

132-778UK.GIF?15-0156-778UK.GIF?15-0

Then like was shown yesterday temps drop back down as we move into W/C 22nd

180-778UK.GIF?15-0204-778UK.GIF?15-0228-778UK.GIF?15-0

Posted

The Gfs 6z also shows an increasing risk of the slow moving band of moderate to heavy rain turning more to sleet and snow during the midweek period, especially on thursday as slightly colder air digs in from the west, even parts of the south / southeast seeing some back edge snow.:)

06_72_preciptype.png

06_72_uk2mtmpmin.png

06_81_preciptype.png

06_90_preciptype.png

Edited by Karl.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Consistently starting to be modelled across most models now is the threat of Weds rain to turn to sleet/snow towards the backedge of the front through Weds night and into Thursday, even across Central Southern England and into SE. Most likely to settle over elevation further north as Steve Murr alluded too with his cat & fiddle prediction.  Here is a look at the Weather Online charts view of the Precip through Weds and into Thurs.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=rart&HH=54&ZOOM=1&ARCHIV=0&PRINT=0&PANEL=0&INFO=0&MOUSE=1

Edited by Mark N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

GEM views the warm sector as being slightly more narrow and fills in slightly quicker. Thought it may be worth mentioning as it did pick up the short January cold spell first. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

A tough call for the rain/snow question along the frontal zone grinding to a halt from Wednesday through Thursday and perhaps not clearing until Friday morning. Really can't forecast accurately the crucial dew points and WBFL to be able to predict snow or sleet/rain in one area ... all comes down to nowcasting when these parameters are knife edge and potential for heavier burst, which can't be assimilated accurately by any model, that may tip the balance of favour of snow rather than cold rain. Whoever gets the snow, it will be a slushy affair if does settle, but beggars can't be choosers in a winter like this, some will be glad just to see it falling!

Doesn't really turn mild (above average temps) until Saturday on the 06z GFS, temperatures back into double figures Saturday afternoon. Then it's back to average temperatures early next week, as we see Pm air return from the NW behind a cold front sweeping SE Sunday night. So by no means are we back into mild long-term, though certainly nothing particularly wintry showing away from northern hills.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted

Further into the Gfs 6z run, it's looking generally unsettled and there are repeated polar maritime shots of varying potency bringing wintry showers, night frosts and even some short lived snow events as Atlantic systems bump into the colder air..so the outlook does hold some interest for coldies.:)

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

prectypeuktopo (2).png

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

A tough call for the rain/snow question along the frontal zone grinding to a halt from Wednesday through Thursday and perhaps not clearing until Friday morning. Really can't forecast accurately the crucial dew points and WBFL to be able to predict snow or sleet/rain in one area ... all comes down to nowcasting when these parameters are knife edge and potential for heavier burst, which can't be assimilated accurately by any model, that may tip the balance of favour of snow rather than cold rain. Whoever gets the snow, it will be a slushy affair if does settle, but beggars can't be choosers in a winter like this, some will be glad just to see it falling!

Doesn't really turn mild (above average temps) until Saturday on the 06z GFS, temperatures back into double figures Saturday afternoon. Then it's back to average temperatures early next week, as we see Pm air return from the NW behind a cold front sweeping SE Sunday night. So by no means are we back into mild long-term, though certainly nothing particularly wintry showing away from northern hills.

It's like weather pinball this week with that front, isn't it!!

Now I've been reading how it's all going to "back-edge" snow and no front-edge, but can we be sure of that?? I'm noticing this morning a trend to bring colder 850s back towards the SE, especially as the front stalls. Many ECM postage stamps have the -6C 850hpa mark very close to the SE, if not over it - as well as approching from the west.

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!72!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016021500!!/

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Yes this evening ecm is quite good,with a lot of the UK still in -4 uppers Wednesday midday..I'm just asking when will the gfs back this,or will it at all..maybe a different looking 18z coming up??

14 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think we are past the point of no return wrt any nationwide event down the spine of the country, its just seeing if the models can just hold back the front for a tiny bit longer and get a few favoured places some snow, it would take too much of a climbdown now at too later stage for anything better.

Hmm I kind of agree,but the interesting thing is it turns quickly colder again behind the front,Thursday has us back in -4/6 uppers nationwide