Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So the coming week, well it will turn colder by Tuesday hopefully (dependent on that front eventually clearing).

Looking at the GFS temperatures seem to sit in the 3-5C range by mid-week which is certainly colder than what we have seen this year with 850s cold enough for snow at low levels. The issue is the flow seems to hold west of north which restrict the chance of of snow showers for our region. Of course we could see a disturbance develop as we approach mid-week to give us some hope. No point debating the end of the week just yet.

96-778UK.GIF?20-12   120-778UK.GIF?20-12

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most except high humidity and thawing snow.
4 hours ago, TheBigFreeze said:

I live within the Norfolk [Bermuda" weather triangle...I've got no hope lol

I live a few miles south of Cromer. I moved here last winter as a great place to live, but also hoping for some cold and snow. Use to live in the Chiltern hills where we always had a day or two of lying snow even in the mildest of winters. Here in two winters seen lying snow once for 12 hours overnight and the odd sleety mix.

Now,  I know these two winters have been dire, but I am convinced there are very few situations that deliver snow to coastal locations in East Anglia. The first is a January 1987 with very low uppers and an easterly off the near continent. The charts for 12th January show it snowing at Coltishall at -9c. What I would give for that again.

The second, which is probably a flight of fancy, is for a polar low to put down anchor in the Wash for a few hours and deliver a period of snow with westerly winds and so not mixed out by the warmer North Sea.

Not pinning any great hopes on  either next week. Certainly not snow on the beach at Cromer which I think will have to wait for next year.:)

Edited by Weathervane
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

So mild I had to take my socks off to watch Match of the Day :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Good morning everyone. Another gloomy, blustery morning, however,at least it looks to be largely staying dry for most! Aren't we spoilt! Current data certainly looks to favour getting progressively colder as the week progresses with -7 850's covering the region, by Thursday, bathed in 526 Dam air, with low daytime / night time temperatures predicted. Charts below for reference.

56c9916d81016_h850t850eu(5).thumb.png.63 56c9917559932_hgt500-1000(2).thumb.png.6 56c9917db0140_ukmintemp(1).thumb.png.71e ukmaxtemp.thumb.png.beb64705c48a4c42f8dd

It will be largely dry with the UK sat under high pressure, therefore, snow risk is muted or indeed non existent.....However,  come Saturday / Sunday an area of low pressure nudges into the South of the Region which would seem to pose a threat of snow.

56c9965654e23_h850t850eu(6).thumb.png.85 ukprec.thumb.png.affb80b9a11372486017d4b 56c9967d1ad42_uksnowrisk(4).thumb.png.bc

56c9968d5ec33_uksnowrisk(5).thumb.png.71  56c996af6ae6d_uksnowrisk(6).thumb.png.4c

This threat is currently showing to last for 48 hrs! This is still a long way off, therefore, cannot be taken as gospel, however, for now something to keep an eye on over the next few days to see whether we get upgrades or indeed downgrades.....It certainly keeps things interesting if nothing else! Have a lovely Sunday all! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
6 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Looks quite wet overnight and into tomorrow as a slow moving front slips south to allow the colder conditions to sweep in, front peps up a fair bit over the region 

Morning @Surrey. It certainly does, could be a wet start to the Monday morning commute! Oh Joy! :) Let's hope this cold front signifies the start of a favoidable period of weather for our Region! Watch this space! 

arpegeuk-1-30-0.png

arome-1-32-0.png

20160221.1037.PPVE89.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better
13 hours ago, Weathervane said:

I live a few miles south of Cromer. I moved here last winter as a great place to live, but also hoping for some cold and snow. Use to live in the Chiltern hills where we always had a day or two of lying snow even in the mildest of winters. Here in two winters seen lying snow once for 12 hours overnight and the odd sleety mix.

Now,  I know these two winters have been dire, but I am convinced there are very few situations that deliver snow to coastal locations in East Anglia. The first is a January 1987 with very low uppers and an easterly off the near continent. The charts for 12th January show it snowing at Coltishall at -9c. What I would give for that again.

The second, which is probably a flight of fancy, is for a polar low to put down anchor in the Wash for a few hours and deliver a period of snow with westerly winds and so not mixed out by the warmer North Sea.

Not pinning any great hopes on  either next week. Certainly not snow on the beach at Cromer which I think will have to wait for next year.:)

I would have to agree with you there, I would imagine there being a lot of snow in the air doesn't help matters. But I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on the Norfolk weather triangle? It seems that whatever the weather type it splits as it nears the point of the triangle, albeit rain, snow, storms etc...countless times I have tracked weather on the radar, and it is on a direct path for my location until it reaches around the point of the triangle, where it splits. I don't know of any geographical features that can cause this, its very strange, and I am not talking about the odd occassion, it happens frequently. Even in Dec 2010 we really didn't see anywhere near the worst of it, where as friends not much outside of the triangle had it pretty bad. Annoying at best, consider I love weather watching and storm photography :(

Norfolk Triangle.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

All I ask is for a good snow event something which has not been absent since mid/late Jan 2013 in my location, Ian seems to suggest this is a distinct possibility for S/E Britain as low pressure systems which have barraged the North West this winter take an increasingly southern track posing wintry hazards v interesting weather ahead. March likely to end up the most wintry month, in meteorological Spring of all months - to think it's 15C right now a big drop on the way, thank heavens if this season went out on a whimper I'd be gutted. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yet another weekend spoilt by vile Atlantic nastiness, I'm soooo over wind it's not funny... Bring on the cold spell, might see some sunshine, let alone snow lol.

• Like 1

Posted

End of next week looking much more seasonal - Cold Frosts and then the chance of snow showers from the ENE.

Best spell of the winter for our little corner of the world coming up 

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

End of next week looking much more seasonal - Cold Frosts and then the chance of snow showers from the ENE.

Best spell of the winter for our little corner of the world coming up 

Yep Paul S :)   

Charts like this excite me, *Thames Streamer alert* - 

it has been a bloody long time coming for our region - hopefully we'll see a good fall :bomb:

image.thumb.png.05438bd1921433e57ee8e060

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Yet another weekend spoilt by vile Atlantic nastiness, I'm soooo over wind it's not funny... Bring on the cold spell, might see some sunshine, let alone snow lol.

You seem to be getting blown 24/7 summer, autumn, winter and spring:shok: You just know you are going to get NW gales all summer lol. Hope the cold spell is actually cold this time:reindeer-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted

Cant wait Daniel, and this time the Super computers are seeing things we are not, all pointing in the right direction. Reckon ECM could drag its heels but should be on board by early this coming week. Expecting a middle ground from that model in 1/2 an hours time

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
30 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

You seem to be getting blown 24/7 summer, autumn, winter and spring:shok: You just know you are going to get NW gales all summer lol. Hope the cold spell is actually cold this time:reindeer-emoji:

Haha! I am getting blown a lot though sometimes not quite in the way I'd like :pardon:

The charts are offering something chilly for the next week or two, hopefully we get plenty of sunshine? Maybe even a snow shower or two, that'd make a nice change though it still looks a bit marginal.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Cant wait Daniel, and this time the Super computers are seeing things we are not, all pointing in the right direction. Reckon ECM could drag its heels but should be on board by early this coming week. Expecting a middle ground from that model in 1/2 an hours time

Wow Paul is out of hiding..... Now I'm feeling some confidence in this event

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

There is now a heads up for something later this week from the BBC! :reindeer-emoji:

Oranges in the north, Pineapples for the south!

Time to stock up on the hard hats people! :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So after the front clears through tomorrow the week looks mainly dry unless we see a sudden shift to allow a north to north east flow through the second half of the week which could bring showers onshore. 

The FAX charts out to day 3, nothing for our region apart from maybe the far north east of norfolk which could catch an isolated snow shower.

There is a chance of developing some showery activity over the next weekend as the flow moves towards the east or north east but this is dependent on the interaction between the low moving into Iberia and the trough to our north east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
On 20/02/2016 at 7:45 PM, Surrey said:

Bit blowy out.. 

Yes, it's been very blowy here today. This evening's Ogimet Report for my local Met Off weather station (Wattisham) shows a recorded max gust of 79.7 km/h (49.5 mp/h) up to 18.00 this evening.

Silly mild too with the temp above 14C all day. I was mucking about chopping logs this morning (ready for the coming cold spell :)) and I kid you not, there was a ladybird strolling around on my lawn!

Not a lot in the way of sun today, but walking back from my local as it got dark this evening, out popped the full moon!

20160221_174603_resized.thumb.jpg.b16937

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

High today of 9.9 here, been windy all day with the highest gust at 52, most of the gusts are between 30-40 though.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Once again the model discussion is in over drive about snow/winter... Pointless as it has been ALL winter thus far. Hence why I haven't posted in there anymore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Grey start to the week, but the overnight rain (heavy for a time - woke me up) has cleared, so a slowly improving day. Currently 7.6C. The 5-day Look East forecast shows a quiet week ahead with daytime max's around 5C or 6C from tomorrow, and overnight lows of -1C most nights.

Next weekend does look very interesting. Both GFS and ECM have a large Low Pressure centred in France with strong E/NE'ly winds for our Region. Some precipitation being shown and the 850 hPa temps between -6C and -8C. Could it just possibly be.....?? :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Grey start to the week, but the overnight rain (heavy for a time - woke me up) has cleared, so a slowly improving day. Currently 7.6C. The 5-day Look East forecast shows a quiet week ahead with daytime max's around 5C or 6C from tomorrow, and overnight lows of -1C most nights.

Next weekend does look very interesting. Both GFS and ECM have a large Low Pressure centred in France with strong E/NE'ly winds for our Region. Some precipitation being shown and the 850 hPa temps between -6C and -8C. Could it just possibly be.....?? :)

Very grim morning!

Seems the norm this winter.. Always 4-5 days away... :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

UKMO looks great for our region next sunday please please no more downgrades this forum will go crazy should it come off