Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What a weekend! A real tonic for the spirits. Lovely start here today and already 17.4C at 08.00. There is cloud to my south but from the satellite image sequence it doesn't appear to be moving north. Temps looking OK this coming week, although the local forecast going for a wet day Tues. (And we won't talk about next Saturday - be lucky to reach double digits along the east coast in a stiff northerly - yuck).

20160509_075941_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Been a lovely sunny day so far, although with a haze some interesting cloud scapea at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Dark skies, may be showery to my west moving west, or wnw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well apart from some convective mid-level cloud this morning it has been another gloriously sunny day here. Temperatures have only reached 23C today but it still feels very pleasant, even with a rather stiff easterly wind.

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all :)

I'm wondering if the shower/storm developing between Ashford and the east of Folkestone will intensify as it approaches London.

Here in East Ham, it's clouded up in the last hour but no rain as yet.

Temperature here reached 23c early afternoon but has slipped back a notch since as the winds have picked up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

According to the BBC, by the weekend the temperatures with be 15 degrees lower than what we had yesterday.:doh: It's raining at the moment. I sense a new SE thread opening soon:ninja:

Edited by lassie23

Posted

What a  day looking at the radar bring on  the  rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looking at the model output, to be honest only Saturday is looking distinctly chilly at around 9-12C, temperatures up to Friday look above normal though Friday could be quite chilly in the north of the region. Temperatures back to near normal by Sunday which looks to be the nicest day of the coming weekend if the current model is correct.

Wednesday and Thursday look pretty darn warm, possibly up to 23/24C in any prolonged sunny spells. Tomorrow does look wet but I suspect somewhere could hit around the 20C mark. Oh and possibly the risk of some thundery showers, both homegrown on Wednesday and perhaps some elevated storms being imported in from France/Belgium Wednesday night.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

24 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Looking at the model output, to be honest only Saturday is looking distinctly chilly at around 9-12C, temperatures up to Friday look above normal though Friday could be quite chilly in the north of the region. Temperatures back to near normal by Sunday which looks to be the nicest day of the coming weekend if the current model is correct.

Wednesday and Thursday look pretty darn warm, possibly up to 23/24C in any prolonged sunny spells. Tomorrow does look wet but I suspect somewhere could hit around the 20C mark. Oh and possibly the risk of some thundery showers, both homegrown on Wednesday and perhaps some elevated storms being imported in from France/Belgium Wednesday night.

Agreed, not really a "cold spell" more a "coolish day"..

Re Storms, tonight and early tomorrow morning holds some interest..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Not too bad a day here, plenty of cloud but some sunshine too. Just had a few brief but quite heavy bursts of needed rain. The main positive has been the temperature; despite all the wind and cloud it was 24C for much of the day. Lovely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Agree.

Schafernaker on BBC London evening weather confirmed a northerly breeze on Saturday would make it feel cooler (obviously) but temps still reaching 16/17c in the strong sunshine so it will feel pleasant and still "very sunny" his words. 

A lot of fuss over nothing regarding this northerly flow across a certain thread if you ask me. 17c and sunny? I'll take that over 22c and cloudy thank you very much.  

Fair enough if you live in Scotland ~ but I don't, so there we are. 

Feeling warm again by Sunday anyway. 

Still going to feel very nice on Saturday in the sun - it's May.  Just get tomorrow out the way and bar a few scattered showers on Wednesday the Reliable looks pretty fair with temps easily reaching 20/21c in the strong sunshine 

Posted
41 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Not too bad a day here, plenty of cloud but some sunshine too. Just had a few brief but quite heavy bursts of needed rain. The main positive has been the temperature; despite all the wind and cloud it was 24C for much of the day. Lovely.

Needed rain? Please tell me your joking.

Weve just gone through 6 soaking months.. no 'needed rain' here!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
10 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

To be fair we not been that wet over the winter in this corner.
Also, I think he means for the garden, we have had little rain recently and plants have needed watering regularly already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Nope, not joking. Ground is cracking already on the allotment and I've had to water a lot lately. It's the damn wind! Dries everything out so quickly as it never stops blowing lol

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Heavy rain here at the moment, dark too. One day of northerlies will still be welcome, shift all the pollution and humidity away:good:

Posted
23 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Nope, not joking. Ground is cracking already on the allotment and I've had to water a lot lately. It's the damn wind! Dries everything out so quickly as it never stops blowing lol

Fair enough.. A shame your allotment isn't located around here. Fields still soggy and puddle patches in shaded/muddy areas when I was out with dogs yesterday afternoon. 

The 'we need rain' posts do make me laugh every year though. As if we've all of sudden switched to a Mediterranean climate because of a few days of warm and sunny weather. 

Maybe us Brits have just got brainwashed with reality that it must 'rain' at least once a week in this country. 

Its early summer - just let it be bl**dy dry and stop wishing for rain.. Lol 

a 30 day heatwave with sunny and hot conditions then maybe start praying for a bit of rain.. But until then do what our Spanish friends do.. Attach a hose to a tap & voila... 

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

To be fair we not been that wet over the winter in this corner.
Also, I think he means for the garden, we have had little rain recently and plants have needed watering regularly already.

My parents house in Almeria, Spain doesn't get rain for 4 summer months straight. 

Do what they do, use a watering can everyday. Problem solved. 

• Like 1

Posted

I hear they do that in California too.....until they ran out! I'd rather keep a green and pleasant land. If not for mountains the only thing to be said about the Spanish countryside much of the year would be that it's a brown hole. 

I've had about 30mm more rain than average so far this year. The land is hardly drowning..... Especially with the strong sun. 

Edited by March

Posted
17 minutes ago, March said:

I hear they do that in California too.....until they ran out! I'd rather keep a green and pleasant land. If not for mountains the only thing to be said about the Spanish countryside much of the year would be that it's a brown hole. 

I've had about 30mm more rain than average so far this year. The land is hardly drowning..... Especially with the strong sun. 

Unless the UK is about to go into Mediterranean climate and  no one has told me, I can put money on that you are not about to be wiped of your green and pleasant land. 

May 9th and after a few days of dry weather, folk are worrying about the English countryside turning brown and their gardens needing a drink.. Hilarious! 

It will pi**ing down again in 2 weeks 

• Like 2

Posted

Has the thunder for the south been over hyped like the cold spell? Just got gentle rain here:cc_confused::oops:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

light rain, damp and dark. 

what a difference a day makes.

only was light stuff last night too.

Posted
11 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

My parents house in Almeria, Spain doesn't get rain for 4 summer months straight. 

Do what they do, use a watering can everyday. Problem solved. 

Absolutely, I use my watering cans and hoses nearly every day. It is surprising how much potted plants drink though, even after a period of rain they often need topping up. Stuff in the ground copes a bit better. 

The countryside this Spring is looking magnificent, very green and lush. Unlike last year when it basically stopped raining for 2 months, looked awful by June and I was endlessly watering the allotments and garden. Gets boring! Ideally, I'd love plenty of warm sunshine but also regular soaking rain once a week or so to keep things looking healthy :D

Posted
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Absolutely, I use my watering cans and hoses nearly every day. It is surprising how much potted plants drink though, even after a period of rain they often need topping up. Stuff in the ground copes a bit better. 

The countryside this Spring is looking magnificent, very green and lush. Unlike last year when it basically stopped raining for 2 months, looked awful by June and I was endlessly watering the allotments and garden. Gets boring! Ideally, I'd love plenty of warm sunshine but also regular soaking rain once a week or so to keep things looking healthy :D

Tap water isn't that great for plants but still does the job, I can't be arsed to water my small garden half the time, let alone an allotment:oops: The good weather has get everything growing nice and early. :good:Just need a huge hail storm to wreck everything in June:doh: You should post in the gardening thread this year Stainsbloke, you can stick photos in there, be good to see your melons:ninja::oops:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Nice 24 hours coming up for those with allotments! :) Some places could well see an inch of rain. A few differences in where on the high res models, but we'll all get wet.

Accum Precip next 24 hours. Arpege Arpege Accum Precip to 09.00 Wed11May.png NMM NMM Accum Precip to 09.00 Wed11May.png

• Like 1