Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Better late than never?

gfs-0-276.thumb.png.20f9e47ef3850e08a55e

gfs-0-288.thumb.png.3db52e9f76a1418ad350gfs-1-288.thumb.png.e3acca38009117a7b375

do NOT underestimate cold at this time of the year:D

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Better late than never?

gfs-0-288.thumb.png.3db52e9f76a1418ad350gfs-1-288.thumb.png.e3acca38009117a7b375

Unless your up in the highlands or Pennines, I can't see -4 to -6 uppers cutting the mustard! More cold rain for most especially at this time of year. Net result is to deliver nothing really of what people want, coldie or mildie! Familiar tale of recent years. The cold to our north around Svalbard just has not been there this winter sadly. Having said that a white easter would be interesting, if not perhaps my personal favourite preference at this time of year (especially hard when we have some of those first sunny warm spring days now!) but some coldish uppers/low heights could at least make things interesting convective wise. :)

However, a swing round of winds towards the North/NE currently does look a fair shout as the high looks to move west somewhat but not becoming very unsettled as the block looks fairly resolute for a while. Long way to go yet before Easter is decided firmly though warm probably not. White Easter? Possible as with just about anything but some luck in pulling down some really proper cold uppers (sub -8c or even -9c) would be ideal!

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted

Well Costa I'm not sure I totally agree with your comment "Unless your up in the highlands or Pennines, I can't see -4 to -6 uppers cutting the mustard!".  It seems to me that the volatility of the weather has increased over my life time and we seem to see more extremes.  A lot seems to be due to sea temperatures and their effect on global pressure rises and falls which seem to have thrown a lot of theories up in the air.  It's important to remember that this year has been very unusual what with a massive el-nino, a massive SSW break up at the strat level right now and don't forget hurricanes in the atlantic in January!  A -4 to -6 in a NE who knows?  Unlikely to actually happen but I would not totally disregard those synoptics.  Nor would I bet my house on them. 

Edited by Trom
I can't spell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
9 hours ago, shotski said:

Not true, they do mention colder than average.  :D

All academic, though it was for "Northern parts with low confidence", as I said yesterday other models had moved away from the ECM setup run by run and now both GFS and GEM have no northerly at all. The GFS D7 and D9 means:

gens-21-1-168.thumb.png.78adc735f0ef0591gens-21-1-216.thumb.png.1b128353ab4a8c74

The negative uppers barely touching the east coast on the mean before D10. It was clear a couple of days ago that ECM was wrong and that it was on its wayward D8-10 path, just because it is consistent does not mean it's right, especially when it's mean says no. The GEFS mean is not cold, in fact probably just above average if anything for London:

56e8fe295d65a_graphe6_1000_306_141___Lon

With those further west probably having milder temps still! The GEM is a corker with what I hope will be closer to the mark, HP in charge till at least D10:

gem-0-240.thumb.png.c71b8217e8e773ce491f

Of course at this time of year some areas will be cooler and cloudier and some will be warmer and sunny, but overall a great setup.

This morning's ECM has, as expected no northerly bar the far NE Scotland and now in line with other models and the continuation of HP through to D10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
8 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Better late than never?

I might have got excited had I not been seeing similar charts for a similar time-frame as least once a week since the end of December :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM certainly moving well away from that particular option this morning, turning milder again by D9/10, temps towards the low/mid teens...

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ECM certainly moving well away from that particular option this morning, turning milder again by D9/10, temps towards the low/mid teens...

The ECM op really has been a shocker this passed Winter with its constantly over amplification of Atlantic jet.

I have been impressed with the GFS ensembles means which have been rock solid in persisting with the East Canadian PV segment which has been the main driver of our weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
19 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Agreed, the Ecm 00z is a generally anticyclonic run, the high just briefly losing some of it's control before another surge from the Azores by day 9 / 10 with a very spring like end to the run across the southern half of the uk.:)

ecm500.216.png

ecm500.240.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

gfsnh-12-240.png?0 MarchPhase5gt1500mb.gif

GFS is really trying for the phase 5 MJO pattern around day 10. We then see more of a phase 6 setup later in the run.

Not sure what ECM is up to, it doesn't tie in with anything really. 

ECH101-240.GIF?16-12

I suppose it does bear a lot of similarity to GFS except for in our part of the world where the jet is further north.

The Greenland height rise with the jet angled further south is the better supported outcome at least in terms of tropical forcing. The SSW* effects seem to have been watered down to obscurity, with MJO activity the main player for trying to keep the Canadian and Siberian vortex lobes apart.

I still see an easterly as a likely feature toward month's end, but that's not to say it has to be chilly.

*Arguably this should be considered a 'final warming' with a gradual falling apart of the vortex and little evidence of the dramatic lower-strat. changes in geopotential heights that are associated with a true SSW.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Singularity said:

The Greenland height rise with the jet angled further south is the better supported outcome at least in terms of tropical forcing. The SSW* effects seem to have been watered down to obscurity, with MJO activity the main player for trying to keep the Canadian and Siberian vortex lobes apart.

I still see an easterly as a likely feature toward month's end, but that's not to say it has to be chilly.

*Arguably this should be considered a 'final warming' with a gradual falling apart of the vortex and little evidence of the dramatic lower-strat. changes in geopotential heights that are associated with a true SSW.

Disagree - looking at the GFS 240h 10mb pattern shows vortex remnants over Scandinavia/NW Russia and northern US/ southern Canada with anticyclone over Pacific side of Arctic -

gfs_Tz10_nhem_21.thumb.png.b7ae1a45a2725

This is a fairly good correlation for 500mb anomaly regions at that time -

gfs_z500a_nhem_41.thumb.png.8b25ed038c19

The charts by Hannah Attard show that at the moment, the strat vortex has only recently split and there is little correspondence between 10mb and 500mb levels, particularly Arctic stratospheric heights are opposite of the troposphere -

dt_500_nh_1.thumb.png.9477279bc9e5e25a37

But by 180h there is a coherent similarity between stratosphere and troposphere split vortices and Arctic height rises -

dt_500_nh_31.thumb.png.f8dc93ee2ff7337c7

For best effect visit the site and animate the charts - http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/hattard/realtime/dt_500/DT_500.php

Obviously as with all forecasts the strength and duration of this likely coupling is open to question.

Edit to add that it may become a final warming but it isn't at the moment as technically the FW is a radiative process of the stratosphere being warmed by the sun at which point the vortex cannot strengthen and dissipates.

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 3

Posted

The Gfs 6z manages to squeeze out a brief Northerly towards the end of next week with a few wintry showers with snow on hills and night frosts, especially in the north.:)

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted

Now this looks like a better Northerly next week on the Gfs 12z

h850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Posted

This is definitely colder than the Gfs 6z with a higher risk of snow for some areas later next week with overnight frosts throughout the Easter period.:)

h850t850eu.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

h850t850eu (1).png

h850t850eu (2).png

prectypeuktopo (2).png

ukmintemp.png

• Like 2

Posted

I think the Ecm is having a very poor run of form, this is what it was showing for March 24th on the 12z a few days ago and now..it's been the same through the winter too, it raises hopes then dashes them!

Recm2401.gif.4bd2f292cf805d73ef32a4dc4dfdd560.gif

ecmt850.192.png

• Like 1

MY LATEST REPORT UPDATED WITH MARCH 16TH 2016 INPUT

Please note that most of the charts that I refer to in this post are through “live” links which update periodically. So, if you are reading this a few hours after publication, the charts may already have updated. My comments relate to what the charts showed at the time of this posting.

This is the Last of My “Daily” Updates:

As I said yesterday, I will start winding down the frequency of my reports and will shorten them. I will continue with perhaps 2 reports each week for the next 2 to 3 weeks. If I feel that there is anything more significant to report, I may add a supplementary update. I will post links to, as well as my comments on, Judah Cohen’s next Arctic Oscillation Report due by next Monday evening, March 21st.

I have noticed that some of the models have moved back into rather colder patterns during the last couple of runs, particularly today on the most recent 12z runs. Although there is little sign of any significant or more prolonged cold, there are plenty of transient northerly incursions and several that would appear to be rather longer lasting. I will not post any model charts in this section but the following should not be ignored:

GFS T+132 and again from T+222 right through to T+348 (5 days+); NAVGEM T+162; JMA (March 15th 12z) T+132; GEM particularly from T+174 right through to T+240; UKMO T+144; ECM T+192.

Overall, I would say that there is plenty to interest the coldies. Whilst many of the charts only show a fleeting northerly, several would seem to indicate proper Arctic incursions and perhaps something rather wintry. I noted a couple of posts in the last few days that stated that even if we get a proper Arctic airstream, it will not be cold enough to produce lowland snow just as has been the case all Winter. One poster even mentioned Svalbard as being far too warm! Regular readers of my reports will know that one of my focusses has been looking at Svalbard temperatures, which I do again towards the end of this one. Svalbard is currently experiencing their lowest temperatures of this Winter which look set to last for at least another week (perhaps longer). If we can get one of those northerlies sourced from that part of the high Arctic it should be a good deal more potent than any of the earlier ones. The maximum temperatures there during our January cold snap were between -4c and +2c. Right now the maximums (today and tomorrow) are between -16c and -18c. These readings are actually close to the lowest values recorded there at any time during the last three Winters! Perhaps we might also see a very late recovery in the ice sheet in the Barents Sea region which has been at record lows. Although thin "new" ice would melt again quickly in the summer.

AO Ensemble Charts: 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

Still a very uncertain outlook. All the ensemble members moved from positive to neutral yesterday and today going slightly negative tomorrow. From there, 4 members go positive again and stay there through to the end on March 26th. Another ends neutral and the other 5 end in negative territory, with 2 of these trending rather lower than the others. The NOAA forecast for some HLB or no HLB is “up in the air” at the moment. Perhaps it is a reflection of some of the forecast transient northerly incursions with temporary HLB ridging to the MLB high pressure close to the UK.

MJO Ensemble charts:

I will be leaving the whole MJO analysis to Singularity after this report. He always does an excellent job and has far greater knowledge and experience than I have. I am posting today’s ensemble charts and even briefer comments below these. Here are today's MJO ensemble charts for the big 4 and Kyle MacRitchie’s for March 16th. 

UKMO:   http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ukme.shtml

ECM:    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ecmm.shtml

NCEP/GEFS:   http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ncpe.shtml

JMA: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/jman.shtml

Kyle MacRitchie:   http://www.kylemacritchie.com/real-time-maps/realtime-mjo/

UKMO: Further increase to good amplitude through phase 5 and into phase 6 later next week..

ECM:  No change today - they have better amplitude early on into phase 5 and 6 but quite low amplitude all the way to phase 7 by March 27th/28th and phase 8 by March 30th.

NCEP/GEFS:  Little change.

JMA:  Very little change.

Kyle MacRitchie:  Continues his consistently bullish approach. He shows the MJO progressing through all the phases from 1 right through to 7 by April 5th and on to phase 8 by April 10th. He has once again increased amplitude which is now high to very high as the MJO re-enters the key phases 7, 8 and 1.

Singularity felt that I should continue with Kyle’s analysis. What do other experts like Tamara feel about the validity of Kyle’s research? I could still include his charts in my more occasional reports for the time being.

Current Arctic Surface Temperatures:

GFS – Northern Hemisphere Current Temperatures:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=9&carte=1

The link to this chart updates 6 hourly with each GFS run. At the time of writing it is showing a chart for 1900 today (16th March***). As this is T0 to T6 hours, it should be pretty accurate. 

In the Arctic, temperatures close to the North Pole are around -24c to -32c (-20c to -28c yesterday). In “our” part of the high Arctic (around the Barents Sea) temperatures remain much lower than recently at around -16c to -20c (-12c to -20c yesterday). Most of Scandinavia having warmed up yesterday is starting to cool off again, mostly around 0c with a little at -4c in the north (0c to +4c yesterday). Much of northern Siberia is slightly less cold again at around -20c to -32c (-28c to -36c yesterday) and no -40c showing. The cold north/south wedge that developed through western Russia during the last 2 to 3 days has warmed up a little to around -8c to -20c ( -20c to -28c yesterday) with north-east Europe now 0c to -4c (0c to -8c).

*** Please note:   At the time of posting this link it was showing 1900 on Monday, March 16th. The charts are automatically updated 4 times a day, so the temperatures shown will be different to those I just mentioned above. We can follow the trends by looking at the latest data at any time from now on. It is vital to note the time of day to take account of daytime/nighttime variations. So for like for like comparisons, for example the 1900 charts for each day should be available to view from the 12z (T+6) updates which are published around 1600 or about 4 hours later. This also applies to some of the other charts I link to in this post.

Svalbard Daily “Maximum” Temperature Forecast for 10 Days:

Here are the links to the 3 Svalbard stations that I am monitoring.

Central Svalbard – Longyearbyen 28 m asl:   

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Svalbard/Longyearbyen/forecast.pdf

March 17th  -16c;   March 21st  -12c;    March 25th  -8c.

West Svalbard – Ny-Alesund:                                                            

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Svalbard/Ny-%C3%85lesund/forecast.pdf

March 18th  -17c;   March 21st  -16c;    March 25th  -10c.

South Svalbard – Sveagruva:                                          

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Svalbard/Sveagruva/forecast.pdf

March 18th  -18c;   March 21st  -20c;    March 25th  -14c.

The general trend is for the “maximum” temperatures (which fell from much higher levels over last few weeks when they often exceeded 0c), to bottom out over this weekend and then only rise very slightly later next week but still maintain pretty low levels.

These links will update automatically at frequent intervals throughout the day. They are the Norway met office’s predictions. We need to be aware that these are only a forecast that is subject to change and I am told that the Arctic surface temperature forecasts are not completely reliable even at short range. 

To put the above figures into context, here is a link to the main Longyearbyen site:  

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Svalbard/Longyearbyen/statistics.html

This shows monthly means, and actual highest/lowest temperatures recorded during this winter and goes back further. Apart from a couple of days in December, Svalbard is now seeing “maximum” temperatures falling to well below average, for the first time since Winter 2014/15

Next Update:

Probably on Friday, March 18th.

Edited by Guest
Check that all links work properly, grammar and spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

In light of Interitus' well explained post, I guess I was too hasty to call it a final warming based on the rather gradual propagation downward. 

Funnily enough, the 12z GFS features a more even divide between the strength of the separated vortex lobes - i.e. the U.S. vortex is stronger than on previous runs - which possibly helps to 'focus' lower heights over the U.S. with less in the way of cold air and low geopotential heights 'escaping' into the N. Atlantic. In this way, the jet is kept weaker (less of a thermal gradient) and a wedge of high heights over Iceland/Greenland is able to hold its ground from day 9 right through to day 15.

The result is essentially 'nuisance cold' with the chance of some overnight snow across northern parts in particular. In such a scenario I'd be hoping for plenty of clear skies to allow the sun to offset the chill.

The 12z ECM nearly gets that wedge of higher heights going as of day 8, but again fails to keep the lower heights over the U.S. from escaping into the N. Atlantic. This could be a reflection of the longer-lived MJO activity (compared to the GEFS outlook) serving to dampen down the meridionality of the jet in our vicinity.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Singularity said:

serving to dampen down the meridionality of the jet in our vicinity.

Yes it becomes flatter than a witches t*t:D

Rz500m10.gif

Posted

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

Interesting one. Heights rising over Europe slightly, but not exactly a trough over Greenland. Probably westerlies for the UK and warmer, but with just the hint of a northerly influence being a possibility. Odds on the first scenario

Posted

The Gfs 18z shows gradually milder weather next week with temps into the low to mid teens celsius which would feel quite pleasant. The Northerly from the 12z is gone, on this run it is as dead as Monty pythons parrot as the chart for Good Friday shows.:D

h850t850eu.png

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

1384981787897.cached.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

I've not been studying the output too hard but week 2 ops seem to be playing with cut off wedges of higher heights to our nw and southerly tracking systems as a consequence. Potential Winter nirvana 6 weeks too late. Ens means/spreads will not pick up these wedges as they tend not to be made up of particularly high heights. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM ramps up a northerly this morning, with some quite cold uppers below -5 cutting across the UK. GFS doesn't favour this scenario, with the OP and mean hovering either side of 0, which would just lead to average conditions.

Alex Deakin on BBC mentioned last night that much hinges on the big low that's going to spin up across the states with the warm/cold clash of air masses. The extent of this will determine the position and amplification of the jet. It would appear that ECM favours the more amplified situation, with the low pressure on the side of the block sliding down across the UK more extensively.

• Like 2

Posted

The Ecm 00z shows a short cold outbreak later next week with wintry showers and potentially snow showers spreading south in a brief Arctic airflow, although it topples quickly, it would bring some sharp frosts for a time and then more unsettled with a potential polar maritime incursion not far beyond T+240, this is more like the Gfs 12z yesterday.:)

ecmt850.168.png

ecmt850.192.png

ecmt850.216.png

ecmt850.240.png

• Like 1