Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Nouska said:

And here is @Tamara's solar spoiler.

kp2012.gif

..but we got the benefit of the low activity later in the following Spring. :)

Follow here.

http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/en/kp-index/

Is there a spanner in the works though with the unexpected return of the W-QBO?, if this were to be continued would it not practically scupper any chance of an SSW this winter?, I thought SSW's are more likely in Solar Max's W-QBO combinations aren't they where as IF we would have the Normal QBO sequence (ie Easterly for this winter) with weak la nina and low solar activity then that would have been the perfect combination.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Is there a spanner in the works though with the unexpected return of the W-QBO?, if this were to be continued would it not practically scupper any chance of an SSW this winter?, I thought SSW's are more likely in Solar Max's W-QBO combinations aren't they where as IF we would have the Normal QBO sequence (ie Easterly for this winter) with weak la nina and low solar activity then that would have been the perfect combination.

Although the QBO has broken a 50 or so year pattern and not moved into an E-QBO , I believe it is now slowly changing over .

It is also doing something never witnessed since being monitored mid last century,  so we can't really use it as a tool to help predict the weather this year neither. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

The ECM control run for debilt looks amazing on the ensembles. Very cold and snowy towards the back end.

Here they are in all their glory!

eps_pluim_tt_06260.png

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nouska said:

I suspect what we are currently seeing is a response to extremely low ice in the Kara/Barents and late season high energy tropical systems piling WAA into the polar regions. I'm not sure about the QBO as it is different things at different levels. Unique, for the record we have, in other words. The met office do not seem to consider the QBO as a significant indicator for second winter NAO forecast according to this recent study.

http://sci-hub.bz/10.1038/ngeo2824

Where it fits in with present winter forecast, I might find out if Aemet publish the winter forecast again this year. I would be a bit more wary of recent uptick in solar geomagnetic activity - belies the spot numbers by quite a bit.

At the end of the day, we are theorising for fun and education and we may be on the right lines or completely out to lunch.

Thanks for replies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

My thoughts are that this will allow some LP activity but not of the zonal type.  I think we will experience displaced PV episodes and LPs  diving down on NNW to SSE axis.... much as is progged currently

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tonight's Ecm 12z ens mean indicates a trend to more unsettled conditions with showers and longer spells of rain and judging by the position of the trough it will be pulling colder air down across the uk so precipitation could turn wintry on northern hills and mountains with some snow..happy days:D

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

no is the brief answer, the contours give you the flow, all the dotted red line tells you is how much higher or lower the actual contour height is relative to the climatalogical height.

Thanks, but you are refrerring to anomaly charts surely, Nouska and yourself cleared that one up the other night, but this chart I'm talking about is the meteociel H500 +slp chart for a specific time, theres no red dotted lines on those, Take this chart here for example.

gfsnh-0-90_wfu8.png

Notice the Trough over Scandi / Eastern Europe, surely the flow is counter clockwise around that both at surface and 500mb level, so basically, the flow on the Western flank is surely Northerly and on the Eastern flank its a southerly flow (give or take a bit, I know theres about a 15 degree difference between isobars and flow).

• Like 2

Posted
On 29/10/2016 at 23:15, shaky said:

Another slight upgrade on the gfs 18z!stronger ridge in the atlantic at 138 hours!!

I agree , stronger WAA into all the right places although it's toondifferent from the last run to know what is right or wrong. Big differences west of Greeny

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Getting away from criticizing @knocker for posting charts that back up his particular preference, when most of us are equally as 'selective'in the other direction....

GFS 18z looks marginally better at t138 compared to it's predecessor at the same time on the 12z....

gfsnh-0-138.png?18  gfsnh-0-144.png?12

Small margins at this stage though.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Thanks, but you are refrerring to anomaly charts surely, Nouska and yourself cleared that one up the other night, but this chart I'm talking about is the meteociel H500 +slp chart for a specific time, theres no red dotted lines on those, Take this chart here for example.

gfsnh-0-90_wfu8.png

Notice the Trough over Scandi / Eastern Europe, surely the flow is counter clockwise around that both at surface and 500mb level, so basically, the flow on the Western flank is surely Northerly and on the Eastern flank its a southerly flow (give or take a bit, I know theres about a 15 degree difference between isobars and flow).

Yes I was referring to a post some time back (Zakos I think) using an anomaly chart, the chart you show and comment on I have no argument against what you say.

• Like 3

Posted

Getting back on track, massive differences over Canada and Greenland by t168...

gfsnh-0-186.png?18  gfsnh-0-192.png?12

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Posted

18z is another good run for cold for all parts. 240+ onwards is setting up another reload of cold (similar to the 12z). I hope this pattern continues tomorrow...

• Like 2

Posted

Someone more experienced then me is going to have to work this one out but the differences at d10 between the GFS 18z and 12Z are massive.

gfsnh-0-240.png?18  gfsnh-0-252.png?12

I suppose we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if this is a trend or a rogue run.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Someone more experienced then me is going to have to work this one out but the differences at d10 between the GFS 18z and 12Z are massive.

gfsnh-0-240.png?18  gfsnh-0-252.png?12

I suppose we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if this is a trend or a rogue run.

I would take the 12z and thought so from quite early on in this 18z, 12z is miles better.

The upper ridge wasn't sharp enough on this run.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I would take the 12z and thought so from quite early on in this 18z, 12z is miles better.

I agree but both runs give us a good shot of cold with similar uppers. The 12z prolongs the cold for abit longer though. However both runs give us a second shot of cold so both runs are great IMO.

Edited by Kieran