Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Possibly some snow for parts of the Pennines by D10 and the mountains in Scotland as one would expect at this time of year

240-780UK.GIF?29-12

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This is sensational stuff from the Gfs 12z..November snow event in the north and another reload!

prectypeuktopo (2).png

ukmaxtemp.png

hgt500-1000.png

hgt500-1000 (1).png

h850t850eu.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

The GFS this evening not hugely different in the reasonable time frame. It phases the second trough with the easterly LP and tracks it south east over the UK at the end of the week. The resulting surface analysis has a depression 989mb over Denmark 12z Saturday resulting in cold unstable airstream over the UK.

gfs_z500a_natl_24.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_29.png

The major upper trough that forms out of these machinations forms a positive tilt south of the UK which allows the next upper low from the Canadian feeder to wing in on the10th but that is getting ahead of ourselves. I'd better post now and see if I can fit it in during the flurry :shok:

gfs_z500a_natl_43.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Zakos said:

No point speculating about the end of the cold spell - it is over a week before it is even due to start. In terms of the onset of the cold spell (second week of November) the upgrades continue, with the cold looking more brutal and further west on each run, and 

h850t850eu.png18zh850t850eu.png00z

h850t850eu.png06zh850t850eu.png12z

gfsnh-0-300.png?12

An insane chart -  the Atlantic is completely blocked off from Europe, and over half of North America is experiencing Atlantic weather; air sourced from the Atlantic is spreading eastwards right across to Alaska. 

You get the feeling we would have to be extremely unlucky to miss out on an early / mid November arctic blast, the models are continuing to firm up on it though which is fantastic!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

You get the feeling we would have to be extremely unlucky to miss out on an early / mid November arctic blast, the models are continuing to firm up on it though which is fantastic!

Yes I agree, Its pretty much a given that November is going to get progressively colder until at least the 3rd week in my opinion.

As Mucka said, I suspect people are being overly cautious, especially if the ECM backs up the GFS today.

gfsnh-12-78.png?12gfsnh-12-324.png?12

Throughout the entire run we have northern blocking completely dominating the UK weather.

gfsnh-2013102812-12-6.png?122013gfsnh-2014102812-12-6.png?122014gfsnh-12-6.png?122015

The last three years at this time of year saw Atlantic dominance.

In 2015 at this time, there was a similar attempt to build heights over Greenland. However notice also the huge negative  height anomaly in the Atlantic, caused by the jet stream firing up due to the very strong El Nino. 

gfsnh-12-6.png?12gfsnh-12-6.png?12

fast forward a week or so in 2015, and the negative height anomaly further increases, and we are left stuck in a Bartlett pattern

This year, we arent seeing any sign whatsoever of the Atlantic firing up, and with the AO negative and predicted to dive further... there is every reason to be optimistic IMO, and as you said we would have to be extremely unlucky to miss out!

• Like 7

Posted

The Gem 12z has improved since the 00z, let's hope it keeps playing catch up with the Gfs!

GEMOPEU12_216_1.png

• Like 2

Posted

Whilst the Op was great, the GEFS don't seem quite as keen on the extreme blocking to the North and west later on in the run...We did get warned about getting carried away beyond the 4th Nov. The Op could be correct , but without back up from the GEFS we need to be cautious !!

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted

The GEFS 12z mean looks impressive next weekend with plenty of perturbation support for an Arctic Nly / NEly airflow.

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

0_192_850tmp.png

1_192_850tmp.png

2_192_850tmp.png

7_192_850tmp.png

8_192_850tmp.png

14_192_850tmp.png

15_192_850tmp.png

16_192_850tmp.png

17_192_850tmp.png

19_192_850tmp.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles still showing fairly wide scatter :nea:

• Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, Mucka said:

GFS ensembles still showing fairly wide scatter :nea:

Yes, very few runs with a sustained block into Greenland / Iceland, and holes in the PV becoming fewer by mid-month. Op run far probably the best for for sustained cold. Other than that, most runs seeing a generally northerly flow but not of arctic/siberian origin so not particularly wintry at this time of year.

Still, probably too much to ask to get ensemble members on board with a cold spell until nearer the time - I seem to recall many a cold spell where the ensembles kept bringing in mild weather by T168, only to be overturned dramatically within 48 hours.

The key is to get to that NEly is the first place - once we get into that pattern, it may transpire that it is harder to ditch than the ensembles pretend.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Whilst there is a fair amount of scatter in the 12z ensemble suite, it's fairly obvious we're going to be around or below average for quite some time when this initial warm spell ends in a few days time. Not surprising to see the Control run being one of the warmer runs considering the lack of any blocking on it.

MT8_London_ens.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Yes, very few runs with a sustained block into Greenland / Iceland, and holes in the PV becoming fewer by mid-month. Op run far probably the best for for sustained cold. Other than that, most runs seeing a generally northerly flow but not of arctic/siberian origin so not particularly wintry at this time of year.

Still, probably too much to ask to get ensemble members on board with a cold spell until nearer the time - I seem to recall many a cold spell where the ensembles kept bringing in mild weather by T168, only to be overturned dramatically within 48 hours.

The key is to get to that NEly is the first place - once we get into that pattern, it may transpire that it is harder to ditch than the ensembles pretend.

Yes in reality it can still go TU but my confidence is that the trigger low is within the reliable (more or less) and upstream has more amplification as a result.

Once (if) the Atlantic lows are cut off at 144 by the Atlantic ridge then some form of cold snap/spell is assured.

ECH1-120.GIF?29-0

Whether we can get it cold enough for snow to fall to low levels at this time of year is another question.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Zakos said:

No point speculating about the end of the cold spell - it is over a week before it is even due to start. In terms of the onset of the cold spell (second week of November) the upgrades continue, with the cold looking more brutal and further west on each run, and 

18z00z

06z12z

An insane chart -  the Atlantic i

i

is completely blocked off from Europe, and over half of North America is experiencing Atlantic weather; air sourced from the Atlantic is spreading eastwards right across to Alaska. 

I must admit I'm quite puzzled by this comment. There is a fair bit of WAA going on but sourced in the Atlantic it aint. Much more to do with the Aleutian low and ridging in the eastern half of North America.

gefs_z500a_5d_noram_51.pnggefs_t850a_5d_noram_51.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM supporting the GFS pretty well but no sure it'll have the same outcome ref the cold uppers as the low in scandy isn't in the best position and could do with heading south a few hundred miles.

IMG_3369.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted

The ECM 12z showing LP homing in after midweek on a WNW-ESE trajectory. A real chill in the air as November approaches with a break in the settled weather of late. Chilly and showery from Thursday:

IMG_0774.PNG

IMG_0775.PNG

IMG_0776.PNG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

No real WAA into Greenland on the ECM but we still manage to build in a decent Greenland High. Seems like even when things go a bit wrong, they come out on the otherside being right.  ECM not quite as good as the GFS, but still a decent shot at cold 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
24 minutes ago, knocker said:

I must admit I'm quite puzzled by this comment. There is a fair bit of WAA going on but sourced in the Atlantic it aint. Much more to do with the Aleutian low and ridging in the eastern half of North America.

gefs_z500a_5d_noram_51.pnggefs_t850a_5d_noram_51.png

Correct but I wasn't referring to WAA, i was referring to the very strange pattern over North America, with an easterly flow across the entire continent.

gfsnh-12-336.png?12hgt500-1000.png

North America is under the influence of atlantic air with the flow spreading all the way the the Pacific.  I should have chosen a better chart to illustrate this to be fair.

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

No real WAA into Greenland on the ECM but we still manage to build in a decent Greenland High. Seems like even when things go a bit wrong, they come out on the otherside being right.  ECM not quite as good as the GFS, but still a decent shot at cold 

Much better now though 

IMG_3370.PNG

A little influence of WAA and the scandy low dropping south slightly and it's still worked out well...

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Zakos said:

Yes but I wasn't referring to  WAA, i was referring to the  very strange pattern over North America, with am easterly flow across the entire continent.

gfsnh-12-336.png?12hgt500-1000.png

North America is under the influence of atlantic air with the flow spreading all the way the the Pacific.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. I think you are misreading that chart at T336. Mind those charts are not very clear. Here is the 500mb contour chart for T336 which I think is the chart you chose with the wind barbs and they coming from the westerly quadrant. I will post the 500mb contour chart with anomaly (just ignore the latter) and again the upper flow will be along the contour lines. As a matter of interst you say you aren't talking about the anomaly (which I agree you shouldn't be) and then post an anomaly chart.

gefs_z500_noram_57.pnggefs_z500a_noram_57.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

Similar theme from JMA.

JN192-21.GIF?29-12

If we can get some consistency through tomorrow then perhaps we can start to add things to our cold wish list, such as the pattern being backed West a little, a bit more amplification in the Atlantic sector, colder uppers etc.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5