Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st September 2016 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Oh no!! What a shame. Bloody slugs are a nightmare this year, so many of them. We need a cold winter to kill them off! How big were the melons? 

Only have the one lol. The other one has been eaten by woodlice! My neighbour on the allotment has just cropped over 20 melons from her 2 plants that are growing outside. Think they're 'Emir' ones. She kindly gave me one to try, smells lovely 

image.jpg

Free melons, lucky! I think watermelons are a lost cause in the UK. Should have said pea sized and not pea shaped.:fool:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

It's been an absolutely perfect early Autumn day here. Blue skies from about 8:30am and barely a cloud in the sky since, light breeze, max temp at nearby Herstmonceux was 25.9c.

I parked up on Galley Hill ( Bexhill ) with tremendous views across to St Leonards and Hastings to my East, and Eastbourne to my west.

Folk were having picnics on the cliff top and all along the seafront, sitting on the beach and swimming in the sea as boats sailed by and a paraglider was having fun using the thermals. I saw an awful lot of happy smiling faces this afternoon. It made my day.

Oh, and my new AWS arrived this morning ahead of schedule so I have something else to look forward to, setting that up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the sun finally came out at 6pm. Too little too late haha. A very strange week where daily average temperatures on most days have exceeded 20C due to minima not dropping below 19/20C and reached the mid-twenties despite the lack of sunshine.

So tomorrow, early sun before the cold front quickly sweeps through bring naff all rain before clearing to fresher and brighter conditions. Well at least the sun might come out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

If the Cold Front brings nothing but a cloudy period it's not such a bad day and a nice change to fresher weather. The sun will still bring some decent temps on Friday and will no doubt be a nice day.. Looked at forecast at weekend for my own place looks awful yet South East will be fine.. I was in London last month for a weekend and was wet.. Yet before I went was weeks of dry weather (not outstanding weather) and when I went home the dry weather returned.. Must be June since the last good week up here.. Just as bad as last summer..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
10 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

If the Cold Front brings nothing but a cloudy period it's not such a bad day and a nice change to fresher weather. The sun will still bring some decent temps on Friday and will no doubt be a nice day.. Looked at forecast at weekend for my own place looks awful yet South East will be fine.. I was in London last month for a weekend and was wet.. Yet before I went was weeks of dry weather (not outstanding weather) and when I went home the dry weather returned.. Must be June since the last good week up here.. Just as bad as last summer..

Almost hit 30c today

Posted

Only reached 22.2C here! That's colder than yesterday I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

A beautiful morning travelling to work with not a cloud to be seen. Was positively balmy yesterday and was stuck at work all day clearing out electrical plant rooms which made things just a tad uncomfortable but my kids had a great day enjoying ice cream and going to the park and enjoying a paddling pool. 

• Like 1

Posted

looks  like another great   dayand  a great week of so far  in felixstowe yesterday me car was  saying 27 it was boiling, hope the next week the  same!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

At last this week!! A beautiful start to the day with clear blue skies. Looking at the latest satellite image, the approaching cold front really doesn't look as if it's going to spoil things too much for our Region - it's very fragmented.

08.25 Cloud Thur08Sep 08.25.jpg

I can now see why the MO 7-dayer for @seaside 60 on the East coast might be right in showing no rain for him on Saturday. The overnight ECM run appears to show the rain making it to the West of the Region, then going on to suggest very little, if any rain, makes it to the coast before the main pulse clears away to the north. GFS and Arpege differ from this and forecast the rain band makes it right across us. Interesting that Carol on the Beeb also mentioned this morning that there's much uncertainty about the detail for Saturday, so it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer to be certain.

ECM Sat 12.00 ECM Precip Sat10Sep 12.00.png Sat 18.00 ECM Precip Sat10Sep 18.00.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Think the cold front has passed here as it feels fresher but still nicely sunny :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met are now going for 26c on Tuesday in London

The precipitation probability Monday to Wednesday is no higher than 10%

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Sad times...looking at the bigger picture. Balmy Halloweens, dafodils at Xmas and now heat waves going on well into September (well next week). I too reckon Winter 2016/17 won't amount to much. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
35 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sad times...looking at the bigger picture. Balmy Halloweens, dafodils at Xmas and now heat waves going on well into September (well next week). I too reckon Winter 2016/17 won't amount to much. :(

Famous last words....! Not sad at all, nice to have a warm September after being robbed of a summer month (June). We will get a cold winter eventually.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Stranger things have happened folks. I don't suppose for one minute people back in 47' thought they would see snowmageddon a week after temperatures hit nearly 15c in mid January! 

Meantime its a very nice day, and a possible plume finale next week! Which would be very nice indeed. 

These past few days and nights especially feel no different as to when I got off the plane in Italy a week ago! Very balmy weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well it's been another cloudless day, not sure if that means the cold front hasn't come over yet?

However I think it has as the wind picked up mid afternoon and that made it feel fresher. That's the only difference here though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well regarding the cold front, some high level cloud passed through around 8/9ish that didn't really even block the sun out and then cleared to sunshine, fair weather cloud and a fairly stiff westerly breeze. A high of 24C which isn't bad at all for September and the return of the sun is a definite plus. 

Next week looks much more promising in regards of heat potential as the warmth will be continental based as opposed to the intense tropical maritime airflow originating from ex-hurricane Gaston. 

• Like 1

Posted

UKMO looking very promising for heat next week with some thunderstorms possible too

Rukm1201.gifRukm1441.gif

If these charts keep up I've timed my return to the capital just right

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

UKMO looking very promising for heat next week with some thunderstorms possible too

Rukm1201.gifRukm1441.gif

If these charts keep up I've timed my return to the capital just right

Lovely charts for this time of year, I'd love to see a decent storm too. Hopefully won't downgrade as is the norm!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Famous last words....! Not sad at all, nice to have a warm September after being robbed of a summer month (June). We will get a cold winter eventually.

Not robbed!?...May/June in my opinion were great synoptical months, chillier weather over much of England battling against. warmer continental air trying to push up from the south with heavy showers or Thunderstorms. Since then it's all been a bit predictable (certainly from the 2nd half of July) with the northern arm of the jet in full swing, anyway whats 1 month, we've been robbed of umpteen winter months then if that's the case!

Posted
15 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not robbed!?...May/June in my opinion were great synoptical months, chillier weather over much of England battling against. warmer continental air trying to push up from the south with heavy showers or Thunderstorms. Since then it's all been a bit predictable (certainly from the 2nd half of July) with the northern arm of the jet in full swing, anyway whats 1 month, we've been robbed of umpteen winter months then if that's the case!

True but I'm not bothered about winter, it's vile most of the time unless sunny/frosty/foggy. Summer is much more important to me and June here was ghastly! Dullest ever recorded and it pished it down nearly every day. Awful.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Might be the wrong place to ask, but does anybody have or know where to find the 1981-2010 averages for St James's Park?

Posted

It didn't jaffa cakes it down every day, most of the rainfall was in a small about of thundery heavy downpours. 

• Like 2

Posted

Midterm forecast

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Mainly fine with some sunshine during this period, with temperatures increasing to perhaps become hot by Tuesday, with warm and humid nights likely.

40% chance of some light showers Thursday afternoon