Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Hey  where is that from exactly? Is it from one of  the Mountain forecasts? 

Good old Met Office - Lake District Mountain Forecast section - have a search.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Exactly, there's uncertainty pinning down the weather for this weekend, never mind what the setup will be like at the start of December... I don't mind the ones offering considered and unbiased observations, but the up & down emotional drama you get after every model run.  I don't know how some people make it through the winter!  

Agree - its a meltdown in there a times - funny though - T+96 is about my limit and FI just for fun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
33 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Exactly, there's uncertainty pinning down the weather for this weekend, never mind what the setup will be like at the start of December... I don't mind the ones offering considered and unbiased observations, but the up & down emotional drama you get after every model run.  I don't know how some people make it through the winter!  

I know. 6 years ago when I joined  it was even worse if you can imagine that . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
21 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Good old Met Office - Lake District Mountain Forecast section - have a search.

Oh yes,  thanks. Would be nice if that was the main regional text forecast. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Massive toys out of prams drama in the model thread today and it's not even winter yet! Meanwhile something rather lively and interesting for us in the next few days. 

Almost certainly going to get some form of cold coming in, bit marginal for snow on low ground but it always is - the next few days that is. Just see what gives. 

• Like 1

Posted

From Nick F Polar Vortex Blog

Good news for Cumbria regards a respite from floods.

December 2015, which was the warmest on record for the UK as a whole, since records began in 1910, with daffodils coming into flower and animals delaying their hibernations. Last Decemeber will probably be remembered more for the rain across northern and western areas, with record December totals following a succession of named storms. Storm Desmond brought unprecedented flooding to the Lake District, followed by Storm Eva then Storm Frank – which brought more gales and heavy rain leading to mayhem. But, this December, the start at least, looks to have a higher chance of more blocked, colder and less stormy weather – thanks to the weak Polar Vortex and weaker more wavy jet stream across the N Atlantic and Europe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

As others have said a lot of flapping in the model thread, I could understand if it was January and we still haven't seen any cold or snow but it's only November, even 62/63 didn't get going until late December, 46/47 well into January!.......I remember at xmas 2012 worrying about the rest of the Winter if we would get any decent snow, things changed a lot from mid January when we got a SSW and we received some decent snow events here from then into March.

We're in a much better position this year compared to last, we've not even had a proper gale yet which is highly unusual, a sign that the Atlantic is not in it's normal overdrive. I try to not get my hopes up a lot because more often than not when you do it ends up disappointing when the models downgrade to milder. Only when things get into the reliable do I sit up and take note more - it's best to not take every run as gospel especially after 120hrs. And anyway the reliable shows we *could* see some snow over the next few days, not all doom & gloom!

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Showers throughout with hardly a break and only the briefest glimpses of blue sky.

oh and feeling raw in the breeze.

all in all a thoroughly miserable day here but it could be worse and at least there is plenty of potential for some wintryness over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Plenty of showers through the day.  looking forward to seeing what the weekend will bring - if anything !

Posted

Going down souf friday til sunday......guaranteed at least a few flakes up here at some point.... will see whats happened from down souf sunday..... training it rather than driving....  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Currently no advisory or warning out but I will take this nice upgrade for Friday thank you very much! It will probably show rain tomorrow! :laugh:

weather.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Currently no advisory or warning out but I will take this nice upgrade for Friday thank you very much! It will probably show rain tomorrow! :laugh:

weather.png

The moorside one is even better ad one would expect, euro4 also looks decent for this region ! higher ground to get a covering later tonight i would imagine.. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Wow there's an extremely deeply elevated weather system coming in from the west.. I can see the system from here yet it's still in the Irish sea west of Wales. it looks very very large and sudden. maybe there will be some thunderstorms. it looks eerie

Edited by SP1986

Posted
6 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Wow there's an extremely deeply elevated weather system coming in from the west.. I can see the system from here yet it's still in the Irish sea west of Wales. it looks very very large and sudden. maybe there will be some thunderstorms. it looks eerie

Due to clear skies between us and the system. I can see it from here and I'm further east. I have seen the anvil from a shower off the east coast of Ireland from my location. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Due to clear skies between us and the system. I can see it from here and I'm further east. I have seen the anvil from a shower off the east coast of Ireland from my location. 

I have also but for a system this is very deep and elevated. suggests potential embedded convection

• Like 1

Posted

Getting dark to west..  about 60 miles away now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Snow showers later according to manchester airport taf

C.S

Posted

Posted
5 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2642275?day=0

Looking very Wintry tomorrow. 

Looks great for you. Have fun :-) 

Posted

I was looking forward to a nice convective day and its anything but, cloudy with outbreaks of rain and very little wind, in other words, dull!

Those deep convective clouds should eventually head our way once this trough finally gets out of the way.

Posted

Yes. This is a cold front as well I think,  carrying   the 528 DAM line with it. 

• Like 2

Posted

Met office forecast shows me under heavy snow from 10pm tonight until Midnight on Friday, good thing I've got a 4WD and a shovel!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Trough cleared through here bright now but temperature has dropped significantly the wind is bitter

C.S

Posted

Heavy rain again. Not sure if this is a shower or still the trough.  6.9°C.