Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Gord said:

Don't think this December will be anymore like December 2015 for prolonged mildness than it will like December 2010 for prolonged cold.

December 2015 was incredible...if that's the right word.

I think we're looking at a more typical British December...for once!

Looks like a chance for something a bit different each week. A frosty spell, followed by a murky mild spell is typical December stuff. I think we've forgotten what a typical British winter month feels like!

better models in FI, looks mainly dry, but is it my imagination or is this Thursday looking like a washout? was looking okay before

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

better models in FI, looks mainly dry, but is it my imagination or is this Thursday looking like a washout? was looking okay before

A washout at some point usually goes hand in hand with mild weather at this time of year. It's when it becomes relentless like last year or winter 2013/14 that it drags my enthusiasm for winter out of me.

Hope the models are right, we've had a lot of dry weather in the last third of 2016 and I don't think I would be too greedy in wanting a bit more.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gord said:

A washout at some point usually goes hand in hand with mild weather at this time of year. It's when it becomes relentless like last year or winter 2013/14 that it drags my enthusiasm for winter out of me.

Hope the models are right, we've had a lot of dry weather in the last third of 2016 and I don't think I would be too greedy in wanting a bit more.

yes, looks just 1 wet day, equivalent of storm Angus, then dry after

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters

So judging from the supersonic flight of toys and teddies arms/legs flying, I take it that a White Xmas is off the cards then?!..........:nonono::D

Edited by Hanny

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

Actually, I think I'm going to change it to "Mr realistic"...

mine is a legendary radio station from 15 years ago, but appropriate as it has 'Atlantic' in

Posted
20 minutes ago, Hanny said:

So judging from the supersonic flight of toys and teddies arms/legs flying, I take it that a White Xmas is off the cards then?!..........:nonono::D

I think it was a couple of days ago. At the very best we might get a cold high.

Any chance of snow now pushed back to January

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Apologies Mountain Shadow, it was a tongue and cheek statement.

Regardless thank you for an answer sir.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Fantastic. January is a cheerless month so some snow then would be nice. In the meantime, a cold high for Christmas would be perfect. The pathetically bad UK infrastructure can breathe a sigh of relief!

• Like 1

Posted

Could do with a week or so of rain here.

The salt and grit that was spread over last week or so, combined with the pollution, has made the roads, pavements, air and cars filthy. There is a horrible grime on everything. Add it to the damp, misty atmos we have here means i'm willing a strong Westerly off the Atlantic with lashings of rain to 'clean' everything. 

Not going to happen, i know.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Could do with a week or so of rain here.

The salt and grit that was spread over last week or so, combined with the pollution, has made the roads, pavements, air and cars filthy. There is a horrible grime on everything. Add it to the damp, misty atmos we have here means i'm willing a strong Westerly off the Atlantic with lashings of rain to 'clean' everything. 

Not going to happen, i know.

well Thursday looks like a shocker here, washout, but your location to miss out likely

Posted

I know it's a long shot but we can't write off a White Christmas yet really. We all know that things can pop up very short notice. Think back to Christmas 2004, that wasn't forseen until a few days before (maybe only a couple or so) Also as recently as late December 2014 there was some wet snow on Boxing Day evening (ok here at least it was very wet and only left a thin and slushy covering) but that was also only picked up on briefly before it happened. Truth is we won't have any true idea until the week leading up to it, so for now at least we can all continue to keep dreaming of a White Christmas :snowman-emoji: :santa-emoji:.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
1 minute ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I know it's a long shot but we can't write off a White Christmas yet really. 

Agreed. But a very long shot.

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Agreed. But a very long shot.

yes, just hope that 6Z parallel run is wrong! my worst type of weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I think we are a long way off from being at December 2015 standards. It does however look like we could see a classic December pattern which we haven't seen in a long time, unfortunately it isn't the likes of December 2010 but a potentially prolonged spell of settled weather. After the more unsettled conditions of course for the rest of this week and the coming weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Just hoping for an Azores high to take up residence this side of X Mas. Got a week in the Canaries soon. Selfish I know!

Posted

Indeed CS, which is no bad thing. In fact I remember a few December's growing up in the 90s like this one looks like turning out. Not much in the way of snow (though occasionally it happened but never at Christmas itself and was often short lived), but plenty of cold clear days with plenty of night frosts interspersed with milder, cloudier and wetter periods. As I said above though we can't rule out snow popping up in the forecasts at short notice, and with Christmas more than 18 days away yet, there's a big enough window still for the possibility of snow that day. I'm still pretty optimistic though that we could get deep and long lasting cold with snow towards the end of the month going into January.

Posted
4 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Just hoping for an Azores high to take up residence this side of X Mas. Got a week in the Canaries soon. Selfish I know!

I'm with you.

7 weeks til we go to Fuerteventura - hoping the AH sits off Spanish coast for extended period. Temps still 24c down there today which is a few degrees celsius above the norm for December.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
10 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Was at Costa Teguise, Lanzarote 2 weeks ago.  Most days were sunny & warm, topping out at 26c.  Did have a windy & cool couple of days though, very windy for the Canaries.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Indeed CS, which is no bad thing. In fact I remember a few December's growing up in the 90s like this one looks like turning out. Not much in the way of snow (though occasionally it happened but never at Christmas itself and was often short lived), but plenty of cold clear days with plenty of night frosts interspersed with milder, cloudier and wetter periods. As I said above though we can't rule out snow popping up in the forecasts at short notice, and with Christmas more than 18 days away yet, there's a big enough window still for the possibility of snow that day. I'm still pretty optimistic though that we could get deep and long lasting cold with snow towards the end of the month going into January.

My first full decade was the 1960s and, regarding HP dominated weather in the run-up to Christmas, two years stand out (memoriwise (sp?)): the frigid, sunny weather in 1962 is the obvious one (I was elated); but the other it not so well-known: on Christmas Eve (it was one of either '63, '64 or '65) Bletchley, Bucks - and, presumably, much of the Midlands and Eastern England - was shrouded in persistent, dense, freezing fog, but the Big Day itself was overcast and mild with rain (and I was duly gutted!)...HP-dominated Christmases are nothing new - and neither is the uncertainty in guessing what will follow...

IMO, uncertainty is our friend?:D

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, AWD said:

Was at Costa Teguise, Lanzarote 2 weeks ago.  Most days were sunny & warm, topping out at 26c.  Did have a windy & cool couple of days though, very windy for the Canaries.

Exactly where I'm going AWD!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
3 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Exactly where I'm going AWD!

Not H10, Lanzarote Suite Gardens by any chance?

Nice, quiet place Teguise is.  Don't expect a lot of night life, just a scattering of sports bars & restuarants, a lot of them themed towards the Germans.

Very good, safe beach though, cove bay with lifeguards and minimal tide.

Posted

An adult only hotel Adultos Solaris (or something similar) .... Yep, nice and quiet for the week will do me.