Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Weird ain' it.. I've worked in Wigan many years ago, left Horwich with a good 6 inches of snow, by the time I got to wigan it was only a Dusting. That' what a bit of height does for you.

You want to come up to Bacup, we measure the snow in feet.

and that's in July:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Hi all. New to the forum.

From Horwich, Bolton.

This is crappy central welcome   I mean for snow obviously 

but if there is no weather to talk about we will happily swap recipes 

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
16 minutes ago, Bury88 said:

So how much snow by are we going to get if these charts verify? 

If it's from a Northerly direction then we will be bone dry.. what we need is a trough coming in from the Irish Sea and hitting the cold air. Otherwise it's a East coast & Northern Scotland Affair only.

11 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

If it's from a Northerly direction then we will be bone dry.. what we need is a trough coming in from the Irish Sea and hitting the cold air. Otherwise it's a East coast & Northern Scotland Affair only.

How come this Is showing nearly countrywide snow?? 

Screenshot_20171202-215559.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bury88 said:

How come this Is showing nearly countrywide snow?? 

Screenshot_20171202-215559.png

I'd take those charts with a pinch of salt. I've seen many charts like that before and in reality, it's only the tops of the hills that get a covering. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
2 hours ago, Winter Hill said:

I'd take those charts with a pinch of salt. I've seen many charts like that before and in reality, it's only the tops of the hills that get a covering. 

Exactly.

Way to early to be looking at snow potential,Personaly going to give it another 48hrs before getting interested (Remember the failed Easterly that went belly up 48hrs before)

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Sadly so with a y front northerly though Wales will get obliterated under lake effect snow  of Irish Sea .

Hope so . Living in nw Wales so hopefully we may get a lot of the white stuff. We tend to do superb during northerlies although it's all down to temps etc. What do you think boys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
11 hours ago, Winter Hill said:

Hi all. New to the forum.

From Horwich, Bolton.

Morning. Can see the Hill from our window just now in drizzly Salwick.

Welcome. ? 

• Like 2

Posted

Chilly next weekend. But iPhone not interested in any ppn. 

IMG_2180.PNG

Posted
17 hours ago, Had Worse said:

http://www.derbysulzers.com/snowa.html

scroll down to 1979 to see the snowy pictures of trains trying to clear the way.

Would be nice to see a repeat.

Just my bag. 

Those Highland Jock Class 26 were hardy beasts. 

Any other "cranks" on the forum?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 hours ago, georgiedre said:

Hope so . Living in nw Wales so hopefully we may get a lot of the white stuff. We tend to do superb during northerlies although it's all down to temps etc. What do you think boys

Yes you should do very well, hope to move there myself one day.

• Like 1

Posted

We know we're more likely to get rain than snow later in the week, I fear the uppers at -8 will not be cold enough considering we will waiting for the cold to dig in first.

Again like a lot of people have said though, its not worth buying into until at least 48 hours before, even 6 hours before i've been confident of snow and just been caught in a very cold puddle. 

At least this year we are actually seeing signs for cold weather but everyone's best guess is that we will fair better in January for obvious reasons, the best scenario for our snow chances here especially at low level is prolonged cold before an event but even then we get these stupid battleground situations that just turn into a horrible icy grauple. 

I will be one of the first to ramp like a beast when i see something really interesting though, the thrill of the chase can be just as exciting sometimes so i'm very much looking forward to winter this year more than the last few years!

17 minutes ago, chiffer said:

We know we're more likely to get rain than snow later in the week, I fear the uppers at -8 will not be cold enough considering we will waiting for the cold to dig in first.

Again like a lot of people have said though, its not worth buying into until at least 48 hours before, even 6 hours before i've been confident of snow and just been caught in a very cold puddle. 

At least this year we are actually seeing signs for cold weather but everyone's best guess is that we will fair better in January for obvious reasons, the best scenario for our snow chances here especially at low level is prolonged cold before an event but even then we get these stupid battleground situations that just turn into a horrible icy grauple. 

I will be one of the first to ramp like a beast when i see something really interesting though, the thrill of the chase can be just as exciting sometimes so i'm very much looking forward to winter this year more than the last few years!

Yes SST,s in Irish Sea doesn't help at this time of year ,January's still the best time .

• Like 2

Posted

Beeb weather this afternoon showing temps of +11'c across the UK on Thursday, with the sudden arctic blast moving in during Thursday night. Metcheck surface-pressure model is showing troughs behind the front pooling down into Scotland. This evening's countryfile forecast for the week ahead will be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

So the snow potential for the end of the week still remains, Friday and into the weekend could be interesting even here! :cold::cold-emoji::santa-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

An extract from SM’s post in the Mod thread

For Scotland & parts of the North /NW sustained snowcover looks a possibility from overnight Thurs onwards for at least 4-5 days..”

Beer, radar watching and a clear sight of the lamppost on Friday sounds good to me. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Not looking good for here.  The off-shore winds have gone with near gale on-shore winds instead. slider lows next week would be much better. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
53 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Beeb weather this afternoon showing temps of +11'c across the UK on Thursday, with the sudden arctic blast moving in during Thursday night. Metcheck surface-pressure model is showing troughs behind the front pooling down into Scotland. This evening's countryfile forecast for the week ahead will be interesting.

What time and channel is the country life forecast in BBc?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
51 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I cannot see the Country file forecast been to interesting to be honest.

The forecast only goes to Friday,think it is to early to talk about snow potential.

You have to say though the potential is there though,screams Cheshire Gap snow

Frenzy to me,but as I say to far out to get my hopes up.

C.S

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

I cannot see the Country file forecast been to interesting to be honest.

The forecast only goes to Friday,think it is to early to talk about snow potential.

You have to say though the potential is there though,screams Cheshire Gap snow

Frenzy to me,but as I say to far out to get my hopes up.

C.S

Got a feeling this winter could be a good one.. the last few winters have been very poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Not expecting much, even up here.

we have the altitude but the best we get from a Northerly is sunshine and drought conditions and a north westerly offers little better.

eutopia here is a straight westerly or WNW with plenty of cold embedded in the flow or that rarest of modern beasts, frontal snow where the cold to the east remains intact.

• Like 1