Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

If that EC at 96 brings nothing here its time for me to find another interest.

Again I’m overanalysing, but remember that horrendous weekend recently when it rained on and off all weekend with frequent heavy showers? You had a bit of snow. This was the setup:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/maps/archive/2017/cfsr/CFSR_1_2017112512_1.png

Yes there was a westerly element but not much more so than is forecast for the end of the week.

I think things currently look very good, admittedly more for the south of the region than the north. Next few runs will be crucial, what we don’t want is a NNW’ly - of course some members would prefer a correction in that direction! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Again I’m overanalysing, but remember that horrendous weekend recently when it rained on and off all weekend with frequent heavy showers? You had a bit of snow. This was the setup:

Yes there was a westerly element but not much more so than is forecast for the end of the week.

I think things currently look very good, admittedly more for the south of the region than the north. Next few runs will be crucial, what we don’t want is a NNW’ly - of course some members would prefer a correction in that direction! 

Im sure we will be watching things very closely !

FWIW i also think EC will correct westwards with the low on sunday leaving us on the cold side of the jet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I'd prefer a correction the other way if it's on offer, plenty of cold mixed into a straight westerly and its bingo for East Lancs but I'm not greedy and whoever gets the snow, enjoy.

still plenty of time for the unlucky ones to get another bite of the cherry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hoping Chorley gets a covering. 

When will we find out if there are any troughs, not just showers?!?!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Hoping Chorley gets a covering. 

When will we find out if there are any troughs, not just showers?!?!

Good question spah...usually by 48hrs the models have a good handle.

The lastest televised forecasts look pants tho...as do the bbc/meto apps...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Ian you're 3000 meters up so you might get something ,lol

Knock a zero off and that's me but for some reason being sheltered by the Bowland Fells and other hills barely higher than I am means I see very little from a NW direction.

its always amazed me how mountains which wouldn't count as foothills in most countries on Earth still think they are the Andes when it comes to stopping snow in its tracks.

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Good question spah...usually by 48hrs the models have a good handle.

The lastest televised forecasts look pants tho...as do the bbc/meto apps...

Omg you and those apps! ??

Ignore them until they reach the range when they forecast hour by hour. If they’re still pants then, that’s the time to be concerned. 

They do not pick up convective precipitation very well at all.. I notice this every single time we get this setup. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Makemeasnowman said:

Guys and ladies pardon my ignorance. Long time follow and reader but rarely post. When your all talking about a dumping of snow etc what day are you referring to here? I'm based in Liverpool so don't expect a great deal if anything from this. But my girlfriend is over from Spain tomorrow night . We're heading to Edinburgh Wednesday and the lakes Thursday. We are back in Liverpool Friday. Just would be great for her to see some lying snow

Still a bit too early to tell, but this sure looks like Wirral's & Liverpool's best chance of snow for a few years. The pattern longer term into Winter proper also looks good in general if your a cold and snow fan. :good:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Knock a zero off and that's me but for some reason being sheltered by the Bowland Fells and other hills barely higher than I am means I see very little from a NW direction.

its always amazed me how mountains which wouldn't count as foothills in most countries on Earth still think they are the Andes when it comes to stopping snow in its tracks.

Lol often think that when weather fronts come in , deluge here and a glass full for the SE with no real topographic features in the way :nonono:

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol often think that when weather fronts come in , deluge here and a glass full for the SE with no real topographic features in the way :nonono:

The Pennines are good at that, stop virtually all snow in the east from reaching our side although never seem to object when it coming from the west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
Just now, iand61 said:

The Pennines are good at that, stop virtually all snow in the east from reaching our side although never seem to object when it coming from the west.

And when it's rain, it doesn't stop in any direction!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

Great ain't it :angry:

Posted
33 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Yes, that was a good convective day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

Had west Cumbria in snow , Cumbria marra must be doing cartwheels ,lol

Havent seen it but nice to hear:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So this is where i’m up to with it all. 

If everything turns white for at least 12 hrs that will do me. 

If I can muster an inch i’ll be happy. 

Chorley not too bad. Far enough away from the coast but not too far East so may clip the showers trying to go through the Cheshire gap. 

Not going to be able to work productively on Friday, will be watching the radar. 

Posted

Lots of speculation in here about snow prospects later this week - but all conjecture at this range. Won't know until the time arrives in these situations, showers can never be predicted with any accuracy at any time range - at anytime of year, in the summer we say showers and expect anything fro deluge to bone dry. What we need to look out for any trough features, again these won't be picked up until Thursday. Relief plays a big part in this part of the region, we can develop homegrown showers when the warm air is forced over the lakeland fells, indeed we are entity to ourselves, even harder to predict than the rest of the region.

Would be good to see some really heavy snow showers brought on by strong winds, been a while - banding into continuous snow, a couple of inches will do, and it would stick around through the weekend to give a very seasonal feel, with hard frosts. 

Lots of time to go through yet before we know the outcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms
35 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Not being bought be precipcharts but next Monday if possible yes please.... 

4667E003-21DB-44A8-9092-9124CABC872A.png

Looking at that chart and I'm going to Tenerife next week makes me feel regret and jealous. If that verifies then I will never going abroad in Winter ever again!! :nonono:

Thats sods law for me.

Edited by pip22