Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Storms already kicking off in the Bay of Biscay.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
5 minutes ago, poseidon said:

Storms already kicking off in the Bay of Biscay.

Just to note, GFS on track with where instability and precipitation might exist for the storms.

GFS on track.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This is showing the convection as of 8:30pm

595c04665a05d_2017-07-04(2).thumb.png.2e5d1527cd7a7c55f0140f0044b54f40.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

This is showing the convection as of 8:30pm

595c04665a05d_2017-07-04(2).thumb.png.2e5d1527cd7a7c55f0140f0044b54f40.png

And as always an Infrared Satellite Timelapse for those wondering here: http://en.sat24.com/en

Looking promising given the large CAPE levels in the area. To view a range of parameters for storms a good website here: http://www.lightningwizard.com/maps/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

With the air source coming from the Bay of Biscay I wonder what the chances are of some more thunder and lightning on Thursday evening down here? It looks as though the storms will affect the South early on in the day and move North if the forecasts are anything to go by. I can imagine there will be plenty of storms forming over France throughout the day though.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Supacell said:

To be honest I don't. There is the link that Weather History posted but to be honest I can't understand it as it is all in German :D

Yes I have that problem too. I can't find any option to put in dates.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Sounding good for some possibly overnight action tomorrow in the far south... I have two days without major plans and will nowcast with a view to action if it becomes favourable...

so exciting :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

BBC forecast calling for an early start to storms on Thursday, the far South affected by 6am. By afternoon the focus has shifted North and East with the South drier in hot sunshine.Perhaps a second round overnight Thursday into Friday for the SE.

• Like 3

Posted

Increasing eastward shift on the latest GFS run too, very agonising but uncertain at this stage.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Morning! My exciment increases yet more, as storms are beginning to develop over The bay of Biscay. Perhaps I should try an all-nighter? :):bomb:

• Like 1

Posted

Can't remember the last time the MetO forecast mentioned the word severe!

SE forecast for tomorrow:

Thunderstorms will become more widespread and probably locally severe with hail and large amounts of rainfall.

Let's see what the updated warning later this morning says.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning all :)
Time once again for my morning look at what the good ole 00z run from the GFS is forecasting...
Well, from a totally IMBY perspective, today has totally dropped off the radar, which to be honest, at such a close stage has come as a little bit of a surprise, but hey these things happen.
So all eyes on tomorrow... :bomb:
It is looking potentially really quite juicy. :bomb:
Lets just hope that the charts keep on improving for all of us :friends:

Screenshot (92).png

Screenshot (93).png

Screenshot (94).png

Screenshot (95).png

Screenshot (96).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Increasing eastward shift on the latest GFS run too, very agonising but uncertain at this stage.

yes, and the in house NMM hi-res.......steering flow (T500 & T700 hpa winds) have too much of an easterly component as it stands taking elevated storms along the south coast and into the home counties/London, but the hi-res modelling does prog home grown surfaced based storms breaking out early afternoon over the West Country & BANES......still, i've only just woken up and am still on my first coffee so haven't had chance to peruse the other models :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Agree. The Netwx Sr model keeps the first opportunity of storms moving NE, sticking close to the S coast towards London during tomorrow daytime.

Then, a line of thundery showers break out early evening down the spine of England moving Eastwards. I wouldnt quite say the W country has no chance but the faster progression eastwards is appearing as we get closer 

The AROME model is further east yet again and I rate that model quite highly at the moment. Whilst I know models are only a guide and it comes down to watching radars on the day, my excitement has dwindled really.

o0ArmTf9p5.thumb.gif.252359411a8901629167637dc54e43f6.gif

Met office warning area still looking the like the main risk zone, but a movement east may occur.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

595c95d696f91_StormForecast.thumb.JPG.e88a911f68fbf3b35a344c4cde629d10.JPG

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. However, whats the bet the percentage will slowly decrease to zero over the course of the day?

Posted
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I'm waiting for Euro 4 to come within the critical time period. If that indicates something for my area then I will take more notice. Euro 4 didn't really go for much last time for this area.

Not looking good for here, things develop to my east. So I suspect a non event around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Not looking good for here, things develop to my east. So I suspect a non event around here.

Non event here too, all going SE, then later in the day, spreading East, but north of here, bypassing here, pepping up for NE

This location as everyone knows is the lousiest in the UK, have not had even 1 flash/rumble yet this spring/summer

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Non event here too, all going SE, then later in the day, spreading East, but north of here, bypassing here, pepping up for NE

This location as everyone knows is the lousiest in the UK, have not had even 1 flash/rumble yet this spring/summer

Historically I found nearby stoke where I used to live, quite good for storms, particularly the early nineties.  Of course I could be looking back through rose tinted spectacles.  Manchester has sucked since 2011 when I moved, save September 13th 2016

Edited by Another Kent clipper
Grammar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I was in Swanage around 7am, there were some quite big, convective drops of rain. It all vanished as I went to Poole.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

Historically I found nearby stoke where I used to live, quite good for storms, particularly the early nineties.  Of course I could be looking back through rose tinted spectacles.  Manchester has sucked since 2011 when I moved, save September 13th 2016

Started the year before in 2010, the 2010s have been really poor for thunder overall, just one or two highlights per year but thunder in general, it has been poor. eg  First thunder for 2015 wasn't until 1st July. 2013 has probably been the best year for thunder this decade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

Stafford generally sucked since '09, except for 11th May, good day for us @ajpoolshark

Posted

I am pretty sure it is rose coloured glasses but thundery prospects seem to be shunted further eastwards as zero hour approaches these days.

In the 90s, it happened as well but the shunting back westwards also happened

Take these three Rob McElwee forecasts, one  from 29th July 1994 and two for the following day

Note how the storms that developed are further back west and also the predictive temps in the SE increase in the second forecast

• Like 2