Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Quite a few Scandi Highs and "Scuero" Highs by T168 on the ECM ensembles this morning, would you believe!! 

Just realised I can upload the images, here's a taster:

I would stress this only represents maybe 20-30% of the 51 options. General story is - ensembles are all over the place once again even quite early in the run

I’ve always liked an under dog MWB , Sweden landed me £250 last night, nobody saw that coming 8)

cheers for highlighting, gives us something to look out for in future runs. 

Complicated setups like these can very often throw out surprises, fair bit of water to go under the bridge yet I feel. 

• Like 3

Posted

The GEFS and EPS anomalies continue with the theme of yesterday evening.

Keeping it short the major players in the Atlantic arena are the trough in NE North America, the ridge into southern Greenland and the Scandinavian trough. Thus still two energy flows, one around N. Greenland east to the Scandinavian trough and the main one south of the American trough giving a westerly upper flow over the UK with the precise direction remaining dependent on any strong ridging north from the HP to our SW  So remaining unsettled is the percentage play but the detail still up for grabs with a few options on the table which the det' runs will need to sort.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.3a2c21018854ee3c040745847d005766.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.b1070b7143a05c99c6518fd4be837334.png

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, jvenge said:

The ECM EPS, although never quite sold on a deeply negative NAO, is sending both the AO and NAO to neutral and then onto slightly positive conditions around the 25th or so.

Hmmm not strictly true that Jvenge. One rogue AO member is positive - the rest are very much in negative territory.

As regards NAO lots of scatter, but still generally mainly remaining in negative territory.

ao131117.gif

nao131117.gif

Edited by Paul_1978
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

Rather worryingly the Icon has gone mild folks :help:

E4520210-58A3-422E-B3DA-6E79F8679EF7.thumb.png.9c4951bf1c0bc1792eed657dd35eec28.png

Time to dig out the BOM, perhaps?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Hmmm not strictly true that Jvenge. One rogue AO member is positive - the rest are very much in negative territory.

As regards NAO lots of scatter, but still generally mainly remaining in negative territory.

ao131117.gif

nao131117.gif

I'll send you what I'm looking at in private, since they aren't too happy about posting ECM stuff publicly.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Such a shame to see that great big blocking high over Greenland come to nothing for us from a cold POV.

GFS6z continues on its not so merry path for coldies ...

Yes very frustrating, that pesky area of high pressure over central Europe!

On a more positive note, at least the Scottish Highlands look set for a pasting based on current runs.

h850t850eu.pnguksnowrisk.png

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

AO watch from the 00z

GFS: - 5

GEFS: -4.3

EC: -3.5

EPS: -3

GENS: -3

They are lovely numbers but unfortunately it doesnt look (at this juncture) like doing us much good in terms of getting the cold to our latitude Blue- 6z continuing with the theme of Atlantic lows destroying any hopes of retrogression.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Does look as tho getting lower heights into southern Europe are as likely as a lottery win!! Still open to change but things do look unsettled and wet looking at the gfs 6Z

• Like 1

Posted

6z is pretty hideous it has to be said, that low just sits next to the British Isles spinning wind and rain, initially over scotland but eventually the rest of us.

Hope its wrong but ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

UKMO isn't that bad actually especially when compared to the GFS for heights in Central Eastern Europe.

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

6z is pretty hideous it has to be said, that low just sits next to the British Isles spinning wind and rain, initially over scotland but eventually the rest of us.

Hope its wrong but ...

On the other hand Pressure and Heights are lowering over Europe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Just to add ecm does have the same low as gfs 6Z at 240hrs.there is a strong atlantic ridge on ecm granted. Not a great start to the day but onwards and upwards. Uto

Posted

Very odd looking maps at the end of the run, don't you think? Not defined strong lows, strong heights, everything a little scattered around

gfsnh-0-360_aqh4.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
45 minutes ago, jvenge said:

I'll send you what I'm looking at in private, since they aren't too happy about posting ECM stuff publicly.

You mean WxBell? You are allowed to post that stuff on a forum. Lots of people do it....

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jonan92 said:

Very odd looking maps at the end of the run, don't you think? Not defined strong lows, strong heights, everything a little scattered around

gfsnh-0-360_aqh4.png

Looks awful to me from a coldies POV- not a good run from 6z - a lot of wind and rain :(

Matt Hugo tweeting about quite a large uptick in zonal wind speeds into December.

we really are hoping GFS is sniffing the wrong progression or its batten down the hatches time, EC is much better than any of the GFS runs since last night- METO update will be more revealing but looking at GFS the notion of mainly dry and cold weather for the uk doesnt match up, whatsoever.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy Hibbo said:

You mean WxBell? You are allowed to post that stuff on a forum. Lots of people do it....

From Weatherbell.

Note: Any maps, images or charts from ECMWF (License) may never be posted or re-distributed (except for WMO-Essential). All other maps, images and charts from other models may be shared in moderation under the following conditions: The images may not be used for any commercial (revenue generating) purpose including, but not limited to, ad-supported websites or private consulting. Any images must be attributed to WeatherBell Analytics. 

The teleconnections doesn't fall under WMO essential :-) The WMO essential consists of some stuff related to the det run and some from the EPS, but mostly heights, anomalies, 850 temperatures, etc. Nothing that someone else doesn't receive quicker from Meteociel or somewhere else.

Edited by jvenge

Posted

EC clusters: by T168, 29 out of 51 members placed in the control / op run cluster, so you'd have to back that at this point in time - which is basically a west based -NAO. 12 members build heights towards Scandi and 10 have a strong block over the Atlantic - so that's 22 members which look colder for the UK.

However, the main cluster splits at T192, with the control cluster more east based -NAO by T216 (11 members), and the op cluster becoming a Greenland ridge but still more west based -NAO.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Looks awful to me from a coldies POV- not a good run from 6z - a lot of wind and rain :(

Matt Hugo tweeting about quite a large uptick in zonal wind speeds into December.

we really are hoping GFS is sniffing the wrong progression or its batten down the hatches time, EC is much better than any of the GFS runs since last night- METO update will be more revealing but looking at GFS the notion of mainly dry and cold weather for the uk doesnt match up, whatsoever.

So far there have been a disconnect between the cooling stratosphere but inevitably those stronger zonal winds will filter down to the troposphere. The window of opportunity for a northerly outbreak is closing. I was hoping that the disconnect would continue for a while longer but things are not looking good now.

If this happens, we will have to wait for a stratospheric warming later in winter to change the pattern. How many times have we heard this before?

Edited by karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
16 minutes ago, jvenge said:

From Weatherbell.

Note: Any maps, images or charts from ECMWF (License) may never be posted or re-distributed (except for WMO-Essential). All other maps, images and charts from other models may be shared in moderation under the following conditions: The images may not be used for any commercial (revenue generating) purpose including, but not limited to, ad-supported websites or private consulting. Any images must be attributed to WeatherBell Analytics. 

The teleconnections doesn't fall under WMO essential :-) The WMO essential consists of some stuff related to the det run and some from the EPS, but mostly heights, anomalies, 850 temperatures, etc. Nothing that someone else doesn't receive quicker from Meteociel or somewhere else.

Never stopped me, when I had it. EC doesn't care about forums, they just care if some commercial entity is racking in money from their products, that they shouldn't be. 

I do like the WMO programs, they give me free C3S and S2S data, so I ain't complaining :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I guess T144 is make or break point. Fingers crossed for a return to colder modelling.

• Thanks 1