Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Because, in the good-old-days, soil temps and SSTs were much lower in February than they were in November...ergo, in November, rain/sleet off the North Sea - and any snow that did manage to fall usually melted on contact with the ground...:D

And - these days??!!

You’re not wrong. Well soil temps are much too high currently for settling snow away from northern uplands IMO a cool down between 1-2 weeks of anticyclonic weather with frost - preceding the main blast of cold air would be needed. I was just addressing Surrey dismissing the chance of snow in the south. It’s not quite too early but indeed earlier than we would preferably like. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Poor ECM, blocking never gets hold like gfs and it looks fairly flat at the end.

Lesons to be learned for winter.

Bugger! The first lump of 'potential' flushed down the toilet...Never mind peeps, winter is still FIVE WEEKS away!:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

If anything I want seasonal temps, and I take it this is what the models are showing. I'd like snow, but it's a bit early especially for us in the South West. January would be ideal. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
30 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Poor ECM, blocking never gets hold like gfs and it looks fairly flat at the end.

Lesons to be learned for winter.

But there could be upgrades:p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hello Folks , Fancy sitting in the Rollercoaster chair:yahoo: Ecm shows a colder weekend , gfs shows a milder weekend , gfs shows unseasonably cold weather in its later frames , ecm shows something a lot tamer....Gts shows a really goolish  Halloween . becoming very cold , perhaps snow for some ,really makes a change from recent years;;;:rofl: Follow the witch....

printwell.png

printwellx.png

printwellxx.png

printwellxxx.png

witch.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And hot on the heels is the latest 8-14 day 500mb outlook from NOAA sticking with it's guns as it did last night,just a wee bit of an upgrade in terms of heights in the Atlantic pushing into Greenland but tonight's shows more height's in that vicinity and into Svalbald and polar region's too with the trough still in Scandinavia,Atlantic still blocked:)

814day.03.gif

here is the 850 hpa temps for London,as you can see by the turn of the month there is quiet a few membes going for -5 at the start of the new month,we just need the mean to get there now:)

t850London.pngaverage tempst2mLondon.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted

The anomalies this evening would appear to be a god example of how small adjustments to the upper air pattern result in in different interpretations by the det. runs and weather impacts on the UK in the medium term. And the key to a large extent would appear to be the often forgotten cut off upper low in the Atlantic.

With the GEFs it plays a far more active role that promotes greater amplification which veers the upper flow NW and portends troughs digging SE very near the UK with the possibility of transient northerlies. The ecm on the other hand has it far less active and the pattern far less amplified and thus the upper flow trending more westerly. NOAA perhaps more inclined to the GEFS.

So until this is sorted disagreements will continue vis the detail. What does appear to be the percentage play for a few days is for the upper flow to be north of westerly, temps trending below average a little which always leaves the door open for some transient northerlies

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.eec70edb86b5192464f4077b3db37cd9.png610day_03.thumb.gif.38464456e8b65f2c956c485fcb3853b4.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I should have added to the above that the ecm also has a more active vortex lobe over Franz Joseph which effects the orientation of the Scandinavian trough

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I will not allow myself to get excited about GFS charts showing a northerly arctic blast, especially so far out and without interest from the Euros. It’s only October, model fatigue could set in before winter starts lol 

Guess it will be interesting to see if that ecm was a mild outlier when the ens get published.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Purely for fun at this range,but GFS 18z showing Snow showers for the higher parts of Scotland,NI,and Wales to start the new Month,showers perhaps even wintry to low levels Midlands north

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

I will not allow myself to get excited about GFS charts showing a northerly arctic blast, especially so far out and without interest from the Euros. It’s only October, model fatigue could set in before winter starts lol 

Guess it will be interesting to see if that ecm was a mild outlier when the ens get published.

Similar to this morning. ECM ensemble clusters at D8-D10 fairly split over the influence of the Scandi trough and Atlantic high. There is a cluster similar to the GFS, but it's smaller than the op/control cluster, and there's also a cluster that is potentially milder than the op run still. What does that tell us? Not much :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

I said on Saturday that things seemed increasingly good for early November as the signals were just to strong to ignore, and I see the models continuing to play with what looks to me like a decent spell of early cold weather. Many on here seem to still be dismissing it, and yet the models keep showing it, time and time again. I think November is going to be quite a shock to the system, especially after such warm temperatures this week.   

• Like 3

Posted

The general picture of cloudy, wet and temps above average continues today, albeit with regional variations. the south and east the more likely to get peeks of sunshine and stat dry, whilst the west, north west could be quite wet particularly the latter, N. Ireland and Scotland initially quite wet but should clear to blustery showers. Once the rain has cleared tomorrow should be a better day apart fro N. Scotland that will receive some rain from a depression tracking NE in the proximity.

.PPVA89.thumb.gif.4a6cc002d0e1b18cff29037af1287e0b.gifPPVE89.thumb.gif.4396dc9ae4d97403d878d54901323602.gifPPVI89.thumb.gif.b144e986eca3cb081e814e4ba46dcec0.gif

So, according to this morning's gfs, by Thursday the UK is in a slack HP area and the pattern is emerging which by now is familiar to us all. As can be seen at 12 we have the faithful cut off upper low to the south west flanked by strong high pressure that is surging NE around the low. Thus the UK becalmed with temps ranging from 9C-16C latitudinally. Over the next couple of days this pattern continues to evolve with the high cell becoming established to the west of the UK and enery,troughs tracking east around the top before dipping south east into eastern Europe. So the UK remaining dry, except perhaps once again N. Scotland with temps returning to around average.

gfs_z500a_natl_15.thumb.png.e8b7827c666bcd596cb272416d56a5f9.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_15.thumb.png.947905b0915fd70a81675c6e446e588e.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_23.thumb.png.c87e235ee606fc4d0954a5273ce651fa.png

.From this point the gfs takes a different route to yesterday. As the ridge moves east over the UK the next trough tracking east from the NW joins forces with our cut off low and by Tuesday 00 a trough is approaching from the west  Twenty four hours later the low has deepened to 960mb and is between Iceland and Scotland bringing gales to the latter whilst the associated fronts track SE across the UK bring rain to all followed by showers in a blustery north westerly. At this point it is interesting to note the much colder airmass behind.

gfs_z500a_natl_29.thumb.png.66f043916712d87dd782da94bebcbd72.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_29.thumb.png.722f84cc92d5dd30c5f35df5aac73afc.pnggfs_t2maf_slp_eur3_33.thumb.png.a1fcfcccb5585bb6fe0e7a19b51f30ff.png

From this point the low fills and tracks into southern Norway and with the wind veering N. the UK comes under the influence of the colder air with snow quite possible in Scotland. But looking at detail at this range is a no no but just to reiterate this scenario is much in keeping with the overall picture from the anomalies, albeit the EPS not quite on board, as can be seen by this morning's GEFS

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur3_40.thumb.png.7f9486974b2aeb0f6b957b694fc1db63.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.79494372e972b22472bb738cb5b9547c.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 9

Posted
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Has ECM gone down? I only have yesterday's 12z

It must have done it doesn't appear on any site I've looked at although I haven't seen any reason given

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
13 minutes ago, knocker said:

It must have done it doesn't appear on any site I've looked at although I haven't seen any reason given

Yeah mine is down too. Weird....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
25 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Has ECM gone down? I only have yesterday's 12z

It's because on this mornings run it shows -10 850s over the uk with major blizzards on days 6,7,8,9 and 10 . 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

This potential Nly outbreak in early Nov is nothing out of the normal. We used to have these cold snaps mid autumn time alot in the 80s and 90s. Indeed it would be interesting to see the similarities in the synoptics between now and autumn  ( mid oct ish) 1998 and  ( nov 1st) 2001.  Where we had several nly outbreaks filter down in the north of scotland. 

• Like 1