Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - heading into 2018

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here. 
For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

Between 12 tomorrow and 12 Sunday according the the ecm

Not the highlands according to people who saw the 12z output apparently although I would be happy with a real pasting 

Edited by Swave Snow

Posted
14 minutes ago, Swave Snow said:

Not the highlands according to people who saw the 12z output apparently although I would be happy with a real pasting 

Actually i meant to say 12 Saturday (not tomorrow) to 12 Sunday

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I am not sure why there is comment at times about under +/-NAO control or whatever.

The NAO is simply what the models showing in terms of pressure differences from one place to another.

It is not the driver as some seem to be making it to be.

Or am I totally losing it?

You're not loosing it John!

Let's give some context for some people. As you state, the NAO is the pressure differences taken from Iceland (Low) and the Azores (Azores High). From these differences, it controls the strength and direction of westerly winds and location of storm tracks across the North Atlantic.

It is closely related the AO (Arctic Oscillation).

It is not a driver but a measurement! :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I am not sure why there is comment at times about under +/-NAO control or whatever.

The NAO is simply what the models showing in terms of pressure differences from one place to another.

re the models

more of the same from NOAA

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

I think most people here do realise that the NAO / AO  / PNA etc are just reflections (or forecasts) of pressure anomalies in certain defined areas, maybe not just always worded as well as it could be. I guess swap 'control' with 'state' in that instance.

Then again, we also talk about ENSO as ENSO state, and Nina/Nino is certainly defined as a primary driver. 

Not really sure where I'm going with this... :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
33 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

re the models

more of the same from NOAA

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

If you're 'losing it', John, then so am I!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted

Avoiding the development/non development of any scandi ridging, the way the 18z pushes the trough se day 10/11 is bang in line with current  ens guidance. I expect that being the gfs it will go too much east but we'll see 

• Like 3

Posted

Factor in that  Lo-res is likely being default over- progressive and the 18z is a very nice run indeed. It won't take too much of an upstream shift at all to set up a very interesting second third of the month on this basis.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

As Nick Sussex highlights battleground scenarios possible in this set up. Some very cold air off east coast..

8686327A-3FA0-4F97-A3FD-252724FB2CC5.thumb.png.3fa3f2cb3d83004cf54d0d9bc487b5dd.pngB3332D3D-19A6-4AC0-BDF3-506235AC27C4.thumb.png.69842c633d79e9fcc37d6b1c45b60fbd.png

This evenings GFS at 240h is very much like yesterdays 0Z ECM at 240h with heights over Scandinavia.

ECM1-240_dnn0.GIF

• Like 2

Posted

ec 46 continues in the same vein as previous run - no doubt broadly agrees with mogreps/glosea given  the 30 dayer. Our trough into  Europe retracts nw, week by week allowing heights from the Atlantic to spread around to our south to reach the Russian ridge and give a very +nao look to weeks 3 onwards. Uppers go above normal by the end of week 3. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

ec 46 continues in the same vein as previous run - no doubt agrees with mogreps/glosea given  the 30 dayer. Our trough into  Europe retracts nw, week by week allowing heights from the Atlantic to spread around to our south to reach the Russian ridge and give a very +nao look to weeks 3 onwards. Uppers go above normal by the end of week 3. 

Week 3 may aswell be week 33.

The ECM op went from flat as a pancake 2 days ago to more amplified so surely that EC46 really can’t be trusted .

Thanks for giving us that news!  :D 

I’d like to see how the current pattern evolves before getting the barbecue out! 

What do you think of the EC46 reliability BA?

• Like 5

Posted

Does the GFS 18 run this evening suggest that the cold air may win out tomorrow rather than the milder air? Saw a suggestion above that there has been an upgrade at 12 hours?

If this was to happen, then surely the forecast may change in the medium term too?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, fourseasons said:

Does the GFS 18 run this evening suggest that the cold air may win out tomorrow rather than the milder air? Saw a suggestion above that there has been an upgrade at 12 hours?

If this was to happen, then surely the forecast may change in the medium term too?

No I was talking about the post T168hrs hrs  in terms of the GFS upgrading from its 12 hrs run.

This milder interlude is unfortunately set in stone for a few days but the outputs still keep the jet track quite south after that.

And then our hopes are pinned on something from the ne. Stay tuned plenty of drama to come!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Week 3 may aswell be week 33.

The ECM op went from flat as a pancake 2 days ago to more amplified so surely that EC46 really can’t be trusted .

Thanks for giving us that news!  :D 

I’d like to see how the current pattern evolves before getting the barbecue out! 

What do you think of the EC46 reliability BA?

Week 3 is generally worth taking notice of if it's got continuity from current week 2 eps. you can make an informed punt on whether to bother with week 4 based on what you think of week 3. Beyond that it's worthless without clusters which we don't have. As you say, the troughs east side USA and w Europe now showing at day 10 were absent just two days ago on the eps. If anyone has the inclination, the Icelandic site has all previous output available which means you can go back and view the ec46 from three and four weeks ago to see what they looked like - mind you, it's tough to picture the seven day mean upper pattern and anomolys we have seen the past three weeks. Should be obvious how much of a bust the mean ec charts are though. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Week 3 is generally worth taking notice of if it's got continuity from current week 2 eps. you can make an informed punt on whether to bother with week 4 based on what you think of week 3. Beyond that it's worthless without clusters which we don't have. As you say, the troughs east side USA and w Europe now showing at day 10 were absent just two days ago on the eps. If anyone has the inclination, the Icelandic site has all previous output available which means you can go back and view the ec46 from three and four weeks ago to see what they looked like - mind you, it's tough to picture the seven day mean upper pattern and anomolys we have seen the past three weeks. Should be obvious how much of a bust the mean ec charts are though. 

Thanks BA . :)

I’ll have a look tomorrow , that change upstream also took NOAA by surprise . They made note of the much slower and more amplified trend .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.

EC46 500mb

Week 1 (2-8 Jan)

IMG_3517.thumb.PNG.1cb02a3589d4c9fc5c17a0e2010fa1aa.PNG

Week 2 (9-15 Jan)

IMG_3518.thumb.PNG.3921141bdb26949db3a585f14e53e3aa.PNG

Week 3 (16-22 Jan)

IMG_3519.thumb.PNG.818233d191b44605bd416c1a7d3dfea5.PNG

Week 4 (23-29 Jan)

IMG_3520.thumb.PNG.6de6935adda425f8bff96f59f4a83a1c.PNG

If you like a mostly neutral AO profile, and a positive NAO profile from Week 2-4... then you are all set.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just a question,is the NAO/AO reflect what the models show

it looks like it to me,if so,then they will flip flop just like the NWP does.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Trending colder from 4th Jan on the 18z ensembles with some very chilly members in there.:cold:

graphe_ens3.gif

• Like 6

Posted
40 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No I was talking about the post T168hrs hrs  in terms of the GFS upgrading from its 12 hrs run.

This milder interlude is unfortunately set in stone for a few days but the outputs still keep the jet track quite south after that.

And then our hopes are pinned on something from the ne. Stay tuned plenty of drama to come!

It certainly is a changeable picture and milder interludes within a British Winter is to be expected. Just need to that jet to be kept South and to have a NE which will stay with us for a bit.

A NE is even colder than a Northerly, it can be really proper cold (though the next ice age will still not be coming imminently just in case anyone believes the scare stories and myths we all know who peddles, lol)

Edited by fourseasons
  • Like 2