Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - heading into 2018

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here. 
For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted
54 minutes ago, danthetan said:

Noted that the GFS 6Z was completely different @96hr to its 00Z run with the placing of low pressure systems so charts @ 8-10day cant hold much credence

Not sure that makes any sense, I wouldn't expect it to look the same. A more informative analysis would be to compare it to the next 6z run...

Edited by ribster

Posted
14 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Anyone know what’s happened to Euro4? Is it just weather online or is there an issue with the model? 

I'd say an issue with the model as other models are still accessible on weatheronline.

Posted

Morning all :)

Another day, another set of interesting output and I imagine plenty on here will be hanging their Christmas hats on the ECM/GEM 00Z solutions which loom remarkably similar to this observer while GFS is in a very different place.

Here's GEM for North America at T+192:

gemna-0-192.png?00

I think they call it a "Nor'Easter" over there and would be a classic blizzard. The storm ambles NNE and this slowdown of energy out of the CONUS has huge downstream impacts.

ECM 00Z OP at T+192 for North America:

ECN1-192.GIF?28-12

The storm is shallower and therefore moves more quickly but it does allow downstream amplification.

GFS 06Z OP at T+186:

gfsna-0-186.png?6

Storm ? What storm ? No storm means the current mobile set up continues with LP formation in northern Canada and secondary formation further south.

• Like 4

Posted

The GFS 06hrs run fails to develop the first amplified wave upstream over the eastern USA but at least has the good grace to develop the second one near the US plains starting around the T192 hrs timeframe .

This second one is important as downstream it helps to carve a more se angle to the jet.

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, karyo said:

I'd say an issue with the model as other models are still accessible on weatheronline.

still accessible - but it's not completing it's calculations on it's last few model runs - just a bit weird - guy doing them taken some time off maybe lol

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
1 hour ago, ribster said:

Not sure that makes any sense, I wouldn't expect it to look the same. A more informative analysis would be to compare it to the next 6z run...

The point being that the GFS has no consistency as far out as 96 Hrs so what chance has anything beyond that got of being correct. It was an observation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.

These are some of my thoughts on European Long Range weather, from my blog about Long Range snowfall. I talk about MJO, GWO and the Stratosphere, and potential effects on the teleconnections that matter to Europe and the UK.

The MJO is forecast to have a Phase 2/3 event in the early stages of January on EPS. EC Monthly(below)shows a similar progression, with the cycle continuing to the more favourable phases of 6/7 (for a Sudden Stratospheric Warming event). Phase 3 + 10 days correlates with a +NAO.

IMG_3513.thumb.GIF.d45f16f44450e41a03b315bb60580fbb.GIF

GEFS shows a +NAO for the first few days of January, before moving back down to neutral into Mid January. CFS shows a +NAO pattern for all of January and February. That would certainly help the Northern Alps.

The Global Wind Oscillation is currently in Phase 1(below) and has been stalling there for the past week there. I predict that it will move towards Phase 4 in Early January, and reduce the current -AAM. A -AAM is often associated with a -AO type of pattern. However it looks like during Mid January, we could start to see a more +AAM, which would be more +AO like.

IMG_3511.thumb.GIF.3a732773ef31821fb8071af2c0d93e30.GIF

EC is showing another disturbance(below) to the stratospheric polar vortex in Early January. This could correlate with a -AO or -NAO, but the vortex isn't warming very much. The disturbance isn't disturbing the vortex enough to form a proper -AO pattern, but it might affect the AAM.

IMG_3514.thumb.PNG.e1e2697516621ad5166a913b929aa761.PNG

Original blogpost

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
2 hours ago, Catacol said:

Most striking today is the sharp return to neutral of mountain torque.... it will be interesting to see how much further this may climb into positive territory

I reckon it might climb up a lot....

It all follows this (blunt) chart I made a few days before Christmas. The Phase 1/2 event is currently running longer than I expected, but the GWO will eventually get back on cycle. I might have to adjust the dates though.

The yellow line is my forecast for the GWO.

IMG_3462.thumb.PNG.b6c1b88fd58e773826608e8224a2d209.PNG

I will update it tomorrow I think....

Any live shots of the Frictional Torque? WDT haven't fixed the AAM Plots for me yet.

• Like 1

Posted

Just thinking aloud the warming that Catacol has shown to have taken place at 30mb and possible subsequent geo heights could very well still be showing its hand as it continues to downwell  as we go into January. Normally there is a lag period and we have seen the affects this week of wave breaking and downwelling that occurred around the 9th of the month. The models are still toying with weaker heights to the north and north east which may be traced back to this downwelling . Again the ESRL mean and more especially the anomaly composite charts give perhaps a better idea of what I am referring to

The mean composite chart for the 25th at 70mb where you can see the weakness between the low heights

Composite Plot

The anomaly chart for the same time shows the weakness better

Composite Plot

The anomaly chart for 23rd Dec at 2OOmb

Composite Plot

Now for the 25th of Dec and you can see there is an anomaly for stronger heights over the pole.

Composite Plot

The anomaly map of GEO heights are not that strong as can been seen on the mean chart below but are the very  reason the states are seeing the brutal cold wave that is engulfing them.

Composite Plot

These slightly higher heights moving across the pole are what the models are trying to portray in the H500 charts over the coming 10 days or so. That is perhaps why we are not seeing the normal west to east zonal or very mild south westerlies that we would normally see under a very strong vortex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Yes the 12z GFS op was that bad. Zonal throughout with occasional Pm incursions. 

Attempts of a sliver of heights over Scandinavia around  t+216 were quickly snuffed out.

• Thanks 1

Posted

No posts for 2 and a half hours in amongst the 12z's says it all! Blimey that's up there with the lowest of the low, model thread wise. Harks back to the nightmare winters of the recent past.

Have only just checked the latest, pretty awful viewing... raging vortex over Greenland showing no real sign of moving. Like the annoying in law that stubbornly refuses to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

At this juncture I think the only issue here is whether that weak high develops to our north east which is currently at the 8-10 day range. Now we have the GFS and GEM developing this now. We will have to wait a few days for the ramifications of this but I doubt much can be taken from a low resolution operational output.

So the fact we have model output starting to consistently build that weak high is a start at least. It could disappear on the model output or remain with a diffrrent path taken beyond this point.

gem-0-240.png

gfs-0-240.png

Edited by Captain Shortwave
Charts
  • Like 2

Posted

Not sure why so few comments on the 12z, no cold from the East or even the North but some pretty cold days here and there from the NW, with more chance of snow in many places (although prob melting the next day). Could be much worse!!

edit - GEFS still of interest in FI - several showing a developing Arctic high and a few attempting PV split. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, knocker said:

11-15d looking like a classic La Nina +NAO configuration. This pattern means warmer temperatures for the East heading towards mid-January H/t MV

nina.thumb.jpg.94ee0a11ad1e6abf88c4a071907472b4.jpg

Registers at average +1 so hardly a roaring return. TBH, I was taken on recent suites across extended ens  modelling that nao was fairly neutral and on the gefs actually more negative than positively neutral 

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, knocker said:

11-15d looking like a classic La Nina +NAO configuration. This pattern means warmer temperatures for the East heading towards mid-January H/t MV

nina.thumb.jpg.94ee0a11ad1e6abf88c4a071907472b4.jpg

What strikes me is the higher pressure anomaly run towards Newfoundland on that chart. That screams cold zonality to me or at least only short term tropical maritime incursions. 

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Strange to see the thread so quiet after the GFS  12 hrs run has increased the amplitude upstream and the trend in terms of developing a battleground scenario has increased.

NOAA have commented on a big change re the speed of the upstream pattern, and you can clearly see this if you compare ECM op runs of a few days back .

The Pacific area looks like it’s being effected by the MJO movement which is feeding into the upstream pattern to increase the amplitude and consequently slow that.

The GEFS have been slow to react and the GFS op runs  until recently failed to develop the ne USA coastal low which is the bellwether moving forward .

The gefs 12z have decent continuity with the previous run - jet angled nw/se into Europe with the uk probably under the mean trough - could easily be fairly wintry. in fact, given that we are looking at a strong zonal flow heading down through the strat by day 10, surprising how the AO and NAO manage to be negative in the 11/16 day period and there is plenty of northern blocking evident on the gefs members. maybe day 16 is too soon for the trop to respond to the increased flow higher up. That goes against the theory that we won't see any n blocking evident before day 16. 

• Like 2