Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid January

Paul
Message added by Paul

Before posting in to the model discussion, please read our guide to posting in the model threads.

Posted
16 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Uppers between 0 and - 10C, more than 10 days out,  the bar is now set that low? That will give surface temperatures of around 0-4 degrees, just seasonal cold sh wweather 

No - that’s the standard winter bar for the uk

actually-generally sub zero uppers is pretty good when compared to much of the past few winters ! 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Coldest set of extended GEFS I’ve seen so far this winter for London actually an impressive amount of very cold options. Good to see this momentum as evident yesterday has not toned down rather opposite.

9E37FB7F-809C-481F-A46C-7E460D23DFDB.thumb.gif.0793c30533cee218682569132caab3e7.gif

Yes  indeed  After this weekends milder blip  then there is a steady decline in  Uppers.   Around the 3rd  there is quite a cluster going for   uppers between -5  to -10   so  certainly a move to colder conditions.  Looking at the snow row  it also shows  chances of the white stuff   unheard of in post biblical times  south of the M4   at least it is something to watch.

• Like 3

Posted

Anybody else find this more than just a bit surprising, given the strong trade winds present? The latest forecasts showing no demise into the COD in getting to phase 6/7.

I'd be interested to hear from Catacol, FP, Tamara etc on their thoughts.

Latest ECM ens

ECMF_phase_51m_full.thumb.gif.83dcc036c2db3168acae07e591ba456b.gif

JMA ens (always interesting given the proximity)

JMAN_phase_51m_full.thumb.gif.5e9f0b397172ce94332e1cac0147525a.gif

Canadian ens

CANM_phase_20m_full.thumb.gif.b7bdbb8ca066cca2c5b4cdef8b9450a6.gif

No cherry picking, the rest haven't updated yet today.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Big volcanic erruotion in the Philippines today... maybe for another thread but sure I read somewhere this can afftect weather patterns if it’s a big enough eruption? 

Thats not a straw clutching effort either lol. 

To be honest, this eruption is not actually that big  (admittedly i would'nt want to be standing next to it) so no long range effects to be had. 

Does anyone actually know if the standard models are even able to take into account an eruption of the size that puts material into the strat?

I'd assume that it would be a data set that is simply not worth incorporating in the mid range forecast models and that it is something that is left to hindsight/climate/research models.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Anybody else find this more than just a bit surprising, given the strong trade winds present? The latest forecasts showing no demise into the COD in getting to phase 6/7.

I'd be interested to hear from Catacol, FP, Tamara etc on their thoughts.

Latest ECM ens

ECMF_phase_51m_full.thumb.gif.83dcc036c2db3168acae07e591ba456b.gif

JMA ens (always interesting given the proximity)

JMAN_phase_51m_full.thumb.gif.5e9f0b397172ce94332e1cac0147525a.gif

Canadian ens

CANM_phase_20m_full.thumb.gif.b7bdbb8ca066cca2c5b4cdef8b9450a6.gif

No cherry picking, the rest haven't updated yet today.

Because, they say you should be looking at the GWO for guidance on the potential weather pattern and not the MJO alone, and the GWO does not show currently any support for blocking in a favourable position for colder weather as I understand it.

The ensembles are not picking up the La Nina disruptive influence yet I believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

EMON_phase_51m_small.gif ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

Interesting to compare the EMON of 19th with today's ECMF; you can see how the amplitude has adjusted considerably upward for the P5-6 crossing and more of an uptick in P7 has appeared.

There is one significant change that has become increasingly apparent in recent days and which may well explain this trend for projected MJO ability to propagate across the Pacific with good amplitude, but I am contractually obliged to leave for others on here to figure out (sorry!).

• Like 4

Posted

Certainly More amplified on the 12z  than its previous run    The high becoming more dominant over us.  Ps  sometimes its very similar to the secret service in here   Nod Nod  Wink Wink.   I guess various scenarios and weather models   are similar  to information regarding the security  of the queen .   oh well 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Interesting to compare the EMON of 19th with today's ECMF; you can see how the amplitude has adjusted considerably upward for the P5-6 crossing and more of an uptick in P7 has appeared.

There is one significant change that has become increasingly apparent in recent days and which may well explain this trend for projected MJO ability to propagate across the Pacific with good amplitude, but I am contractually obliged to leave for others on here to figure out (sorry!).

oh come on! give us a clue at least! :wink:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

oh come on! give us a clue at least! :wink:

Yes a clue would be nice... something like 1963 would suffice :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
seance
ˈseɪɒns,ˈseɪɒ̃s,ˈseɪɑːns/
noun
noun: seance; plural noun: seances; noun: séance; plural noun: séances
  1. a meeting at which people attempt to make contact with the dead cold, especially through the agency of a medium.

telepathy
    tɪˈlɛpəθi/
    noun
    noun: telepathy
    1. the supposed communication of thoughts or ideas by means other than the known senses.

I have the feeling that the models are going to start flip flopping again if there is a true Easterly in the woodshed.
      Its never been straight forward from that direction or if theres a high in the vacinity of us (North, East or South East.) 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Singularity said:

The strongest tropical forcing of Winter just was observed out over the Western Pacific - Maritime Continent region last week (timed with MJO passage). H/t MV

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

The strongest tropical forcing of Winter just was observed out over the Western Pacific - Maritime Continent region last week (timed with MJO passage). H/t MV

What does that mean/how might it impact us? Ty

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

So is it going to snow south  of the M4? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sneachtastorm said:

What does that mean/how might it impact us? Ty

I've no idea except I'm assuming it will facilitate the MJO moving into phase 7 or 8 which is thought to ease our way into a colder regime, but that is certainly not a given.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

FWIW, the 12z GFS is a UK High borefest from day 8 to 16.  It nearly gets there in deep FI though...

Posted
Just now, Banbury said:

Means nothing until you see the GEFS

Indeed - should have put in the "just for fun" caveat.

Posted
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

I've no idea except I'm assuming it will facilitate the MJO moving into phase 7 or 8 which is thought to ease our way into a colder regime, but that is certainly not a given.

Again, to reiterate.  Even if we get a high amplitude wave in 7/8 it doesn't mean a Scandi High or Greenland High.

I'm fairly sure that during the last major El Nino that we had a favourable MJO but the El Nino stopped any chance if a favourable block.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, Banbury said:

Means nothing until you see the GEFS

It's always worth waiting for the ensembles as they are part of the overall run as well and can often give a good steer on possible changes.

• Like 1

Posted

Well the GEFS keep the interest going, the high is further North on the mean than on the Op, several ENS already have the UK in Northelies or Easterlies even by day 9

There will be some serious eye candy in FI on the 12z suite that's for sure - trends and all!!!

Edit - spoke too early, the HP gets flattened. ?

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2