Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Late Dec cold potential is mainly expected to be trop-led based on MJO propagation - which based on recent discrepancies is likely to be more than the current model consensus. However, the vortex displacement may allow for some height rises across the pole which would be a useful modification to what already has a good chance of becoming a negative NAO-friendly pattern as the shift to Pacific tropical forcing makes itself known.

After that, might flushing down of zonal winds ahead of a reversal descending be less problematic than it could be thanks to them having already been displaced?

Given the ingredients at hand and the sequence we’ve been though, I’d be shocked not to see a technical SSW and it’d leave me wondering what on Earth prevented it!

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

I was kidding around with Pete. I’m still staying with my LRF, a pretty cold Xmas with some surprises to be thrown in.  No serious blocking until New Year.  Bitter cold throughout January

GFSp looking good at Xmas Day

BFTP 

Very unusual to get cold weather patterns persisting for a month in the U.K.,a week maybe rarely more.

What are you seeing that made you say that bold prediction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

I was kidding around with Pete. I’m still staying with my LRF, a pretty cold Xmas with some surprises to be thrown in.  No serious blocking until New Year.  Bitter cold throughout January

GFSp looking good at Xmas Day

BFTP 

I agree BFTP, this SSW event is looking special. It wouldn't surprise me to see a very cold January. Snow,  I am less sure of but cold I am confident with. 

Is it just me or does the Altantic  patterns look like they are weakening on the GFS run to run?

Xmas  I am pretty confident won't be mild and wet for us. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
10 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Very unusual to get cold weather patterns persisting for a month in the U.K.,a week maybe rarely more.

What are you seeing that made you say that bold prediction.

Not unheard of though, Dec 1993, Jan 2001,  Jan 2003, We do get them. Usually a blocking area of High Pressure though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

Not unheard of though, Dec 1993, Jan 2001,  Jan 2003, We do get them. Usually a blocking area of High Pressure though. 

They were rather uninteresting months if you ask me.... not exactly bitter cold for a whole month...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
19 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

I remember January 2003 quite well, as I was staying in the NW Highlands...18C recorded in Banchory; and certainly no month-long cold spell that I can remember...?

But, as you say, not entirely unheard of: 1963, 1981-2, 1985, 1986...2010?

Anywho, back to today - plenty of amplification around; it's good to see the N-S orientated potential block forming, out in the Atlantic, too:

Netweather GFS Image

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

From run to run the ridge out west is gaining strength. The output will be very different in future runs past t144 if this continues. Ukmo and gfs not to far apart. 

404F2CA1-FA36-4535-8E8E-3BF4A37D3C64.png

35F69BE5-3441-4683-B86A-B285DB8A9F3B.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, That ECM said:

From run to run the ridge out west is gaining strength. The output will be very different in future runs past t144 if this continues. Ukmo and gfs not to far apart. 

404F2CA1-FA36-4535-8E8E-3BF4A37D3C64.png

35F69BE5-3441-4683-B86A-B285DB8A9F3B.png

The interest in a northerly Christmas week is still there it seems, I'll add GEM T144 to that too.

image.thumb.jpg.5cf97a1c6b72516ea3e290bd07f62533.jpg

The form horse still mild for the 25th, but not by a huge margin. 

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

really? don’t recall bitter cold lasting throughout the month in any of those months you quoted

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

really? don’t recall bitter cold lasting throughout the month in any of those months you quoted

Location an issue maybe?

Posted

Pressure it just too high to our south, doesn’t matter if that ridge in the Atlantic grows in strength the pressure over Iberia and France is humongous and will just flatten the pattern, the ridging attempts in the Atlantic have been omnipresent recently and haven’t done an awful lot.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Pressure it just too high to our south, doesn’t matter if that ridge in the Atlantic grows in strength the pressure over Iberia and France is humongous and will just flatten the pattern, the ridging attempts in the Atlantic have been omnipresent recently and haven’t done an awful lot.

Yes, someone needs to pour some salt on the Euroslug. However a definite positive is that there seems to be increasing signs of low pressure forming over the Azores. This will certainly amplify the pattern providing the high to our south shifts east. If it doesn't though we could end up with a February 1998 type pattern.

GFSOPEU12_165_1.png

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The (anticipated to be) over-stalling of the tropical cycle by the models is in the phase that drives an Iberian ridge so if and when the models correct tropically, the Iberian bubble should burst.

Annoying to have to keep that caveat in there but that’s just how it is with the climate system!

Upstream looks closer to anticipated developments on GFS 12z as of day 8 (+192 hr). More amplified ridge trough downstream in response but the latter does need the door to open for a move into mainland Europe.

Edited by Singularity
GFS notes
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Slightly deeper Strat warming on this run, peaking around 168hrs.  

gfsnh-10-168.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

So here is Christmas morning on the 12z compared to the same time on the 6z.  Each run is gradually moving more and more of the PV away from Canada / Greenland with better Atlantic ridging.  Would be nice to see this continue.

gfsnh-0-210.png?12  gfsnh-0-216.png?6

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

So here is Christmas morning on the 12z compared to the same time on the 6z.  Each run is gradually moving more and more of the PV away from Canada / Greenland with better Atlantic ridging.  Would be nice to see this continue.

gfsnh-0-210.png?12  gfsnh-0-216.png?6

It's encouraging. Hoping for a low to drop s/sw across the channel like seen in the runs a few days ago. 

Posted

Just glancing through the rest of the GFS 12z, does anyone else think the pattern of really cold air across the NH at T210 looks really odd:

image.thumb.jpg.45e9ef0a622b58a8ed115135f2d456b3.jpg

Looks like a giant wooden spoon.  Hopefully that's not a metaphor for the rest of our winter!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
22 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

He's probably thinking of snow events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 hours ago, SLEETY said:

why are you ignoring the long term forecasts from the meto and others on here.Its end of dec into january that the forecast of much colder weather is being forecasted not dec! ,do you just ignore what the experts are banging on about for the last few weeks.

Because this is model output discussion not meto.

Posted

hmm thought the high was going to retrogress towards greenland,then when low res kicks in,gfs decides to display utter junk.Might as well end the run at 240 or whenever low res kick in.

• Like 2