Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My hunch was that the tail-end of the 12Z operational would be noticeably dissimilar to that of the 06Z...so that's 365 successive days, on which my hunch has paid-off. We don't call it 'Fantasy Island' for nothing!

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Evening all, considerably fewer posts than the last couple of days, and I think that's because we're now in a betwixt and between period.  Actually the potential for a northerly wind at Christmas has actually increased compared to yesterday, but the potential won't go anywhere in my opinion, FV3 at T204:

image.thumb.jpg.5f581c80b7e930a247951cf07909c34f.jpg

Amplification there, but the high heights in Spain the spoiler.

Still 9 days away so time to change. 

Longer term, the strat developments continue unabated, with FV3 showing indications of a split being the eventual result of the SSW consistently (noting we can only see the temperature plots at 10mb - if anyone knows a site we can see more info on the strat for the FV3, please give details!).  Nothing at all today to indicate the massive January potential has reduced.  As we were...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

GFS P also goes into the new year looking for the split warming event gfsnh-10-384.thumb.png.5b52a6f6826e541df6b087fc5caf3f03.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

OK, so this is now the 7th consecutive FV3 run that has shown to a greater or lesser extent this evolution with regards to the SSW, here T360:

image.thumb.jpg.32ca68f1ffdaccd13eb93b262c4d6503.jpg

The angle is consistent with the tweeted GloSea5 image as far as I can see.  The op GFS has been less consistent but I am inclined to go with the FV3 on the grounds of the higher resolution in the timescale, that is the timescale after the technical SSW but running up to the consequences.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
38 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Evening all, considerably fewer posts than the last couple of days, and I think that's because we're now in a betwixt .....

Props a bit of early model fatigue too - maybe realism as well Singularity, reminds us that it might not be till the middle of next month that we see the impacts of a SSW that has not yet begun - this is more of a marathon than a sprint !

• Like 1

Posted

EC looks an improvement this evening too..16-192 shows the Atlantic ridge gaining a bit more ground than the morning run.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC looks an improvement this evening too..16-192 shows the Atlantic ridge gaining a bit more ground than the morning run.

I don't recall synoptics like that ever actually verifying, so I'm expecting big changes in the next few days.

ECE1-192_pjp1.GIF

Edited by Johnp
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

240 on EC but boxing day few flurries possible, SE especially, 850's just about okay, all change on next run though as it's deep FI

ECM0-240.GIF?16-0

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Johnp said:

I don't recall synoptics like that ever actually verifying, so I'm expecting big changes in the next few days.

ECE1-192_pjp1.GIF

That Arctic high might become a bigger player than is currently being shown on the models I think.Certainly bitterly cold air becoming established over Eastern Europe,-24 hpa showing up! which is what you want to see ,just need it to back west,eventually!

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 3

Posted

Both GEM and ECM showing abundance of potential, esp the former. 

The SLP graph for N England also shows high pressure on the upward turn towards the end period. All, for me, initial signs that post Xmas/NY we are heading into a period of enormous possibility post SSW....

D05DDCA4-D937-4F51-8649-BD6CB79BED05.png

EB4DB147-9410-4C10-88B0-82F72C00E1E5.png

7198DFD1-F37C-4EBB-9780-D79EFDF61E25.gif

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GEFS ensemble, for 850mb temperature Aberdeen) shows remarkable inter-member agreement until after Xmas dinner, and then realises there's rather too much cognac in its pudding:

GEFS Ensembles Chart

The corresponding runs for Northampton get pi55ed a little sooner:

GEFS Ensembles Chart

The SLP ensemble suggests that the signal for a general rise in pressure is still gaining momentum:

GEFS Ensembles Chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 hours ago, johnholmes said:

So what is it in your water that suggests that please?

No model of any duration, no other lrf makes that much of the probable cold spell in January.

Have a read JH....I did it in October

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Oh I do love it when the vortex (temporarily) fires up just before a SSW. Usually leads to fireworks when it goes 'pop' 

That you said it twice!

it would be interesting if it did show a strong uptick as that would presumably show that any reversal will also downwell quickly ... (assuming the uptick was strat led and not the result of trop influences - the Berlin data is useful for that but only available to day 10)

• Like 4