Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - first hot, thundery plume of the summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Good synoptics coming out again this evening and why not

the cpc seems to think so,here are the 6-10 and 8-14 day anomaly's,we just need that hp cell to migrate more east then we could look at another plume scenario

610day_03.thumb.gif.03a1f01b3e5dc007962375c29cb2bbfc.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.6038fdc3c154ce384ba44e5410e0dfaa.gif

we have the heat to look forward to at the end of the week and into the weekend then a blip to start the new working week then signs that things look set to warm up again,ok,not the heat that we will feel come the end of the week but pleasant enough

de-built ecm ens and gfs ens show this.

eps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.3e9cd815a5fc7d3aab49bc8b09179125.pngt850South_Yorkshire.thumb.png.6a75b3be2510beb233612b5a54183bc0.png

P.S. sorry for the late post,i have been decorating,cheers.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 9

Well today and tomorrow looks incredibly disappointing either due to cloud or wind, some speculation that northern coast of Cornwall / Devon could see a Bora type wind tomorrow with gusts over 60mph coming down from the moors. What looked like a lengthy spell of weather has once again turned into a one day south east special on Saturday. 

Looking further ahead gfs not so keen this morning a big push from the Azores high and has the possibility of low pressure coming down the North Sea, I maintain next week will be cool overall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
10 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Well today and tomorrow looks incredibly disappointing either due to cloud or wind, some speculation that northern coast of Cornwall / Devon could see a Bora type wind tomorrow with gusts over 60mph coming down from the moors. What looked like a lengthy spell of weather has once again turned into a one day south east special on Saturday. 

Looking further ahead gfs not so keen this morning a big push from the Azores high and has the possibility of low pressure coming down the North Sea, I maintain next week will be cool overall. 

Let's hope we see the Azores HP (aka convection killer) modelled with less influence in subsequent modelling. The GFS has lessened its influence a bit this morning.

image.thumb.png.afe8feed61dd777479b7947f415be27e.png

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Just now, CreweCold said:

Let's hope we see the Azores HP (aka convection killer) modelled with less influence in subsequent modelling. The GFS has lessened its influence a bit this morning.

I get what you’re saying but we’ve hardly had any sun and the last thing we need is to end up with a low stuck in the north sea....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
31 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, its starting to gain latitude, we need it to ridge properly into GL, its hard at this time of year to get a trough to drop properly to the East of us but a good effort there.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, its starting to gain latitude, we need it to ridge properly into GL, its hard at this time of year to get a trough to drop properly to the East of us but a good effort there.

You'll like the current averaged CFS for December Feb...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

You'll like the current averaged CFS for December Feb...

image.thumb.png.db9693241d9b0dbe85f2163efdb98bb5.png

• Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Very few people on here will be in agreement with you on this. The last thing we want is more cloud and rain after the first half of June. I'm quite happy to have some benign conditions forecast next week even if it won't be overly warm at first.

• Like 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Very few people on here will be in agreement with you on this. The last thing we want is more cloud and rain after the first half of June. I'm quite happy to have some benign conditions forecast next week even if it won't be overly warm at first.

I'm not looking for agreement though.

I was all for the modelling of a very hot spell that we saw last week for this current week. That's because there was plenty of instability forecast- unfortunately that evaporated (if you'll excuse the pun). After last year, I'd have to be floating down the high street in a boat for me to be rejoicing at a displaced Azores HP ridging across us for any length of time.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 0z mean still indicates increasing azores high / ridge influence next week onwards, at least for southern uk. Looking through the members there are some very summery ones but also some that are, shall we say, less summery!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The GEFS 0z mean still indicates increasing azores high / ridge influence next week onwards, at least for southern uk. Looking through the members there are some very summery ones but also some that are, shall we say, less summery!

I think it’s a precarious situation ECM has high pressure ridging in but much less aggressively this morning. 

Posted

I assume that as indicated by some of the telecon peeps over the past week or so, there is little sign that upstream/ Pacific setup will allow for any upper ridging to actually gain traction for any length of time. Again, the ridges look to be mobile as we head forward. That might make the mean look promising but will allow for a more changeable set up in real time. 

• Like 6

Posted
27 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I think it’s a precarious situation ECM has high pressure ridging in but much less aggressively this morning. 

You're right, compared to yesterday it's not as good, especially longer term.

Edited by Jon Snow

9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I assume that as indicated by some of the telecon peeps over the past week or so, there is little sign that upstream/ Pacific setup will allow for any upper ridging to actually gain traction for any length of time. Again, the ridges look to be mobile as we head forward. That might make the mean look promising but will allow for a more changeable set up in real time. 

Yes the back end of this mornings ECM looks pretty poor, with cool conditions becoming more likely. The 10c 850 isotherm is completely absent from our shores beyond this weekend.

Personally I really don’t like the mean charts, large divergence can give misleadingly good charts upon first sight.

Posted

Hmmm not as high pressure dominated in the longer term this morning!!!although it way better than rubbish we have endured over the last 4 weeks or so!!so far this week has been absolutely horrendous here in the midlands!!no sun yesterday and today has started just as bad!!feels more like autumn lol!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Hilarious 2M temps next few days for 850's being forecast, can see it not being far off either, one day hot spell on Saturday it looks to me, pretty amusing after all the ramping in here.

You can't blame the ramping, there's been +24 T850's but what could have been an epic week of summery weather is going to fall well short of expectations with just saturday being hot further s / se..pathetic.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You can't blame the ramping, there's been +24 T850's but what could have been an epic week of summery weather is going to fall well short of expectations with just saturday being hot further s / se..pathetic.

Rarely post here in the Summer,but for me compared to what was modeled over the weekend (hardly in the FI we talk of in the winter,but in the so called 'reliable' timeframe) what has been our reality ( and I am on the Sussex coast) this week I would compare with a bitter freeze and promised snowfall becoming a +5c and some sleet in January!

A fresh breeze,overcast,showers drifting up from the channel and 19c vs the 30c+ predictions of blue skies interspersed with violent thunderstorms.

• Like 2

Posted

GFS 00z looks a cool outlier in the medium timeframe this morning, will be interesting to see where EC det sits in its suite- its not a bad run by any means, although in the interests of balance it has trended away from an extended stable anticyclone.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This morning's GEFS 00Z ensembles look a tad less convincing than yesterday's did, with the T850s and SLP graphs suggesting a fair amount of Shannon entropy, post July 5th. More 'choices' than a freshly-stocked Tesco?:shok:

t850London.png  t2mLondon.png

prmslLondon.png  prcpLondon.png

Could the GFS be starting to pick up on upstream teleconnective developments?images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsrBYN2_TtW_GRsaWsJnb

• Like 6

Posted

As i suspected, EC det looks out of kilter with the mean, majority of EC members sticking with the dry settled and warm script..

Of course det maybe onto something but as it stands, an excellent outlook for the UK.

day 8 mean

image.thumb.png.5c3d40e92c7d4af95bacd1f8862b6fd7.png

Lovely ..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think that the ECMWF NH progression also has the Azores HP a wee bit more inclined to stay out west than on yesterday's run?

T+24:npsh500.024.png T+144:npsh500.144.png

T+240:npsh500.240.png

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It’s been a totally rubbish plume. Extremely poor surface conditions for such a setup. Temperatures way, way, way below where we’d normally expect them to be in such a setup, a lot of cloud and rain, and storms largely a bust.

Posted

image.thumb.png.89d0b3b47ceb631ca790b10cec8764fe.png

GEM showing High pressure firmly in control by day 10 ...

I'm going to stick my neck out and say a couple of rogue Operational's have skewed the outlook this morning.

Certainly the GEFS 00z suite looks very dry, esp in the south, with hardly a sniff of rain to be seen on the graph.

Time will tell if these operational's have picked out a different evolution of course..

• Like 5