Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - first hot, thundery plume of the summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted

Another very dry and at times pleasant GFS6z with very respectable surface conditions for summer lovers right through towards mid July-

• Like 9

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

The GFS and ICON 6z probably agreeing with you there Alderc. 

gfs-9-48.png

icon-9-48.png

The Euro 4  has them even lower  with some areas in single digits 

image.thumb.png.cc5bd9edf6de2fe37412378c07e85dca.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Another very dry and at times pleasant GFS6z with very respectable surface conditions for summer lovers right through towards mid July-

Looking good NWS... I've just had a look at the ensembles out to day 8 and only 4 of the 20 runs do not have high pressure in control... So we are looking at say an 80% chance of settled Conditions at this stage mate.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
7 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Looking good NWS... I've just had a look at the ensembles out to day 8 and only 4 of the 20 runs do not have high pressure in control... So we are looking at say an 80% chance of settled Conditions at this stage mate.

Agreed, the 6z mean looks more settled than the 0z with a much better chance of high pressure building in, more stable than the earlier run.

GFSAVGEU06_270_1.png

GFSAVGEU06_300_1.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

At this stage yes, hopefully we will see a EC 12z det more aligned to the mean this evening.

Hard to complain with the outlook after the poor may and june we have experienced ..

• Like 4

Posted

The Gem 0z ends on a High notE..

gem-0-240.png

• Like 9

Posted
19 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The Gem 0z ends on a High notE..

gem-0-240.png

Very nice Karl... Here is a look at the mean.... Spiffing wouldn't you say dear sir..

gens-21-1-162.png

gens-21-1-192.png

gens-21-1-216.png

gens-21-1-240.png

gens-21-1-264.png

gens-21-1-288.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

This morning's GEFS 00Z ensembles look a tad less convincing than yesterday's did, with the T850s and SLP graphs suggesting a fair amount of Shannon entropy, post July 5th. More 'choices' than a freshly-stocked Tesco?:shok:

t850London.png  t2mLondon.png

prmslLondon.png  prcpLondon.png

Could the GFS be starting to pick up on upstream teleconnective developments?images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsrBYN2_TtW_GRsaWsJnb

Interesting that the operational is at tewarm/high pressure end of the range for most of the run.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

GEFS ensembles are quite encouraging, today...And, post the upcoming 'sweatygate scandal', both 850 and 2m temps never fall too low, and precipitation disnea look like being a problem:

t850London.png  t2mLondon.png

prmslLondon.png  prcpLondon.png

So let's just hope that nowt sinister lurks in the woodshed...?:oldgrin:

• Like 6

Posted

Looking at the Gfs 6z operational i'm seeing lots of ridging / high pressure next week and beyond..predominantly settled and pleasantly warm then but with some cooler less settled interludes. As for this weekend, not seeing a thundery breakdown, only a band of showery rain pushing east across northern uk followed by sunshine and showers, the s / se mainly dry.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Looking at the Gfs 6z operational i'm seeing lots of ridging / high pressure next week and beyond..predominantly settled and pleasantly warm then but with some cooler less settled interludes. As for this weekend, not seeing a thundery breakdown, only a band of showery rain pushing east across northern uk followed by sunshine and showers, the s / se mainly dry.

The breakdown of weather after this week will actually be warmer, so it's actually a breakup to warmer conditions.  from 13c TO 20c will be a nice change!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
28 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

The breakdown of weather after this week will actually be warmer, so it's actually a breakup to warmer conditions.  from 13c TO 20c will be a nice change!

Hmm. Temperatures going from 32c to 24c in London. Sounds like more of a “breakdown” to cooler weather from where I’m sitting, although granted any heat is short lived.

• Like 2

Posted

Icon brings the SE bake on Saturday... 28c being shown up..... Nahhhhhh, let's slam a few degrees on that total.... 

icon-9-72.png

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Icon brings the SE bake on Saturday... 28c being shown up..... Nahhhhhh, let's slam a few degrees on that total.... 

icon-9-72.png

Can you post the 850 chart please!!!been sliming down the width of the 20 degree 850s!!!wana see if its actually continued that theme!

Posted
2 minutes ago, shaky said:

Can you post the 850 chart please!!!been sliming down the width of the 20 degree 850s!!!wana see if its actually continued that theme!

How's this shaky...

icon-1-48.png

icon-1-72.png

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

How's this shaky...

icon-1-48.png

icon-1-72.png

Beautiful and has the western extent much further west  for saturday than the earlier gfs run showed!!unless the latest 12 run has backed it west slightly aswell?

• Like 2

Posted

That will give a higher chance of a very high Max on Sat. I’d be amazed if 35C wasn’t achieved. Even the auto apps have a few 33Cs in the SE for Sat now.

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, shaky said:

Beautiful and has the western extent much further west  for saturday than the earlier gfs run showed!!unless the latest 12 run has backed it west slightly aswell?

The old GFS as it slightly further East... The FV3 is only just rolling out so not sure if that one's going to differ much

And the bottom chart is ukmo at 48hrs

UKMO at 72hrs...the heat a little further East has well... Not a done deal if you ask me. Could be much further West or East tbh. 

gfs-1-48.png

gfs-1-72.png

UW48-7.gif

UW72-7.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
7 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

That will give a higher chance of a very high Max on Sat. I’d be amazed if 35C wasn’t achieved. Even the auto apps have a few 33Cs in the SE for Sat now.

On the subject of maxima, where the sun came out for a prolonged period of time today, maxima was generally 3-5C higher then forecast by Sundays 18z run. Where low cloud persisted temperatures were actually a bit lower.

image.thumb.png.1b3ca5a02665a48450fb2526e89914fd.pngimage.thumb.png.1ebec0ed78c4bd71248ec09acdd95378.png 

Saying that I don't think we will see notable maxima tomorrow, knocker was right. I think sunny areas that are sheltered from the strong winds may get into the upper 20s. I do think we have an outside shot of beating some June records on saturday.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 4

Posted

A look at the models at day 6...clearly high pressure taking control... 

UKMO

GFS

FV3

ICON

GEM

UW144-21.gif

gfs-0-144.png

gfs-0-144 (1).png

icon-0-144.png

gem-0-144.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Judging by the GFS/UKMO i think i would assume there will be little or no rain for many, esp the SE, over the coming 10 days minimum..

Bad news for some of us given that, despite the fact that we've had a wet June, over the course of the last 12 months we're still around 130mm below normal (at the end of My the region averaged 173mm below normal for the 12 month period).  Of course, some areas, Lincolnshire in particular, could do with a dry period, but much of East Anglia is still surprisingly dry as the rain earlier this month rapidly became absorbed by the very dry subsoil.  At least the outputs that have been posted here aren't showing strong winds which would dry things out even more rapidly than a warm but still period.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Bad news for some of us given that, despite the fact that we've had a wet June, over the course of the last 12 months we're still around 130mm below normal (at the end of My the region averaged 173mm below normal for the 12 month period).  Of course, some areas, Lincolnshire in particular, could do with a dry period, but much of East Anglia is still surprisingly dry as the rain earlier this month rapidly became absorbed by the very dry subsoil.  At least the outputs that have been posted here aren't showing strong winds which would dry things out even more rapidly than a warm but still period.

Yes, as always, not everyone will be pleased- all looks very benign as you say, any rainfall likely restricted, in general to the far NW - 

Don't think the temps will be any great shakes , dry i think, is the operative word, perhaps becoming warmer later on.

• Like 5