Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - first hot, thundery plume of the summer

Paul
Message added by Paul

This thread = Models, models and more models
Please remember that this thread is for discussing the model output only. If you want to chat about the summer weather more generally, please use the Summer chat and moans thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

0868D3C0-8321-45A2-8DCF-6B829164B164.png

If only it were January....

Anyway, on the whole things don't look too disastrous this morning, with most model runs keeping low pressure just about at arms length so it doesn't ruin things for the UK. No early June washout for the moment, UKMO still the pick of the bunch today.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

My money's on the ukmo..well it would be if I had any money!!..it's sticking to its guns, not backing down!! :oldgood:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The difference between the UKMO and ECM output for Saturday is clear if you look at the Met Office and BBC apps - for London, the former has 26c and the latter has 22c. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

A pretty good 06z as Singularity mentioned the Scandi trough at the weekend looks like being less coherent now. The energy splits and we have an area of low pressure cutting through the mid Atlantic high. This cuts off our cool air supply and a cheeky little ridge of high pressure comes in.

image.thumb.png.1943472a302538fd63f7b519e826cc19.png GFS 06z T120

As a result the run is pretty settled up to T240, some low rainfall totals but only average temperatures until then. The ECM now has a low cutting through the North Atlantic block but instead of the low weakening it strengthens and a cheeky little ridge of high pressure is prevented from moving over the UK. This has implications for later in the run (unsettled) so FI at the moment is roughly T120.

image.thumb.png.4470a1e16d7db63b882355c5ae7bdb14.png ECM 00z T144

It appears to me the models have overestimated the strength of the high in the North Atlantic sector. Blocking is still strong further north though... can't imagine that is good news for the arctic though as it provides more warmth for that region... as the global temperature anomalies show. Intriguingly the North Atlantic is looking warm in terms of its air temperatures. Hopefully that will weaken the cold blob SSTs which helps cause more westerly winds.

image.thumb.png.a4f2376db3859b38c60afee4511becba.png

• Like 8

Posted

The EC clusters this morning show how a small ridge may magically save next week from the mercy of the Scandi trough / Arctic ridge:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019070200_168.

However, the general idea of the clusters remains to crash the pattern longer term. Sort of encouraging that a major breakdown keeps getting pushed back, and still enough wriggle room in the pattern for yet another ridge to emerge and extend the more settled scenario.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019070200_240.  ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019070200_360.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Interesting evolution from the 6z by mid next week... Low pressure to the West of us helping to pump up some very warm conditions, how long before a breakdown though!! Temps surely high 20s perhaps 30c if this scenario plays out. 

gfs-1-192.png

gfs-0-204.png

gfs-1-216.png

gfs-1-222.png

• Like 6

Posted

The progression of the ext EPS mean over the last five days is pretty reasonable all things considered. And if anything it's gone downhill a tad. And we are still looking at a fair westerly upper flow under the block.

10-15.thumb.png.ef115e5e4146aa43ceb70bd8d204d801.png5-10.thumb.png.a2098aa42183fdf6883d3f80a8258936.png

And today in the ext period it develops the trough in the eastern Atlantic which is certainly not good news

index.thumb.png.caf6026fc2878ca8c60d9b11d50c2fc4.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Interesting 6z as noted above.   I think the colder pools we had in May/early June are struggling to impact at this time of year they just can't make inroads.

Looking like it will sink down into Eastern Europe/Black Sea instead

• Like 3

Posted
50 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Interesting evolution from the 6z by mid next week... Low pressure to the West of us helping to pump up some very warm conditions, how long before a breakdown though!! Temps surely high 20s perhaps 30c if this scenario plays out. 

gfs-0-204.png

Am I right in saying that setup could result in warmer conditions for the east than those experienced on Saturday? Much of Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex failed to hit 30C at the weekend.

Edited by h2005__uk__

Posted
2 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Am I right in saying that setup could result in warmer conditions for the east than those experienced on Saturday? Much of Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex failed to hit 30C at the weekend.

Unlikely from that set up - probably 25-28c maximum temperatures from there. Still very decent though.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mb018538 said:

Unlikely from that set up - probably 25-28c maximum temperatures from there. Still very decent though.

What sort of setup is required to get 30C+ in such areas? I remember it happened on several occasions last summer where East Anglia was hottest.

Posted
4 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

With a direct feed from the South that would be a more likely scenario. Obviously an onshore North Sea breeze will reduce temps towards the coast... Any plumes moving forward would result in higher temperatures anyway, with surrounding sea temps warming... The situation I illustrated with the 6z shows potentially high 20s... Obviously subject to change at this range, and as you will be aware, both man and machine had a right game at nailing the previous predicted maximums.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

What sort of setup is required to get 30C+ in such areas? I remember it happened on several occasions last summer where East Anglia was hottest.

There are a few things to note re last summer...

It was very dry, which helped boost temperatures. There was also a lot of anticyclonic weather, with some intense upper/surface highs such as this one:

image.thumb.png.d5889a5f1f745fc557172ef99974d9ad.pngimage.thumb.png.37418ca5a6ce4268d161175c8fab68f2.png

These helped give very warm/hot temperatures. Heights were also persistently low over Iceland/Greenland, which is what you want to see for UK warm and settled weather. 

The really hot stuff at the end of July came from a southerly from an Atlantic low/Scandi high setup (35.3c Faversham):

image.thumb.png.4f19437ca6c3d740ffc3090a81d15dfa.pngimage.thumb.png.0788102c1c82cd596f067171bc884f78.png

What's notable there is that 850 temps are about 6-7c lower than what we had last weekend, yet gave higher temperatures. Proof that 850s aren't everything!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As ever I get suspicious when there is little mention of a run. The day 10-16 6z GFS highlights why.

22 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

There are a few things to note re last summer...

It was very dry, which helped boost temperatures. There was also a lot of anticyclonic weather, with some intense upper/surface highs such as this one:

image.thumb.png.d5889a5f1f745fc557172ef99974d9ad.pngimage.thumb.png.37418ca5a6ce4268d161175c8fab68f2.png

These helped give very warm/hot temperatures. Heights were also persistently low over Iceland/Greenland, which is what you want to see for UK warm and settled weather. 

The really hot stuff at the end of July came from a southerly from an Atlantic low/Scandi high setup (35.3c Faversham):

image.thumb.png.4f19437ca6c3d740ffc3090a81d15dfa.pngimage.thumb.png.0788102c1c82cd596f067171bc884f78.png

What's notable there is that 850 temps are about 6-7c lower than what we had last weekend, yet gave higher temperatures. Proof that 850s aren't everything!

Indeed, surface temperatures were very high last year all thanks to prolonged dry weather with light winds, coastal west Wales for example was frequently hitting the high 20's especially in June but all that daytime heat didn't go very far overnight either, Mumbles weather station nr Swansea recorded quite a few nights with a minimum overnight temperature of 20C, something which thankfully hasn't occurred so far this year 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

As ever I get suspicious when there is little mention of a run. The day 10-16 6z GFS highlights why.

6z GFS out to day 9 looks good to me. Plenty of high pressure dominated weather with warm sunshine. Post day 10 looks dreadful but is so far out not to get too concerned at. 

Edited by danm

Posted

Post 10 day doesn't look good, I agree. It's certainly a million miles away from the Exeter update... The control run looks good.. Yes it's not really backed up by the mean, but it certainly doesn't put us slap bang in the middle of low pressure which I think the op is overplaying a tad... Anybody would think it was winter with its bully dartboard lows The mean is less severe with its low pressure than the op. 

gens-0-1-240.png

gens-0-1-264.png

gens-0-1-288.png

gens-0-1-312.png

gens-0-0-264.png

gens-0-0-300.png

gens-0-0-324.png

graphe3_1000_281_87___.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Mattwolves said:

Post 10 day doesn't look good, I agree. It's certainly a million miles away from the Exeter update... The control run looks good.. Yes it's not really backed up by the mean, but it certainly doesn't put us slap bang in the middle of low pressure which I think the op is overplaying a tad... Anybody would think it was winter with its bully dartboard lows The mean is less severe with its low pressure than the op. 

And more importantly, the reliable timeframe looks good for the majority, and is actually improving from previous GFS runs. 

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks Tamara for  a wonderful post and delivered under difficult times for you.. Much appreciated. 

Icon 12z bringing a decent end to the week, and it looks potentially very warm in the S/SW to boot, mid to high 20s perhaps given sunnier sky's. 

Moving into Friday we bring down cooler conditions from the North, but all in all its looks to be a rather decent weekend at this stage. 

icon-0-72.png

icon-1-72.png

icon-0-96.png

• Like 8

Posted

UKMO looks a lovely run this evening...

Starts off warm -

image.thumb.png.7999c9b6f10e6352558cd9daefc07fcd.png

And ends warm..

image.thumb.png.1c467df90504640595856378f0ceff32.png

Although i have yet to see the 850s , which might prove my post utter poppycock !!

edit, OK 850s show it warm right through across the south- cooling down midlands north

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO looks a lovely run this evening...

Starts off warm -

image.thumb.png.7999c9b6f10e6352558cd9daefc07fcd.png

And ends warm..

image.thumb.png.1c467df90504640595856378f0ceff32.png

Although i have yet to see the 850s , which might prove my post utter poppycock !!

Nice UKMO up to D5, but D6 is a bit of a "what happened next" - lots of conflicting influences very near the UK! 

• Like 3