Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Hi guys. As the original poster said there is a thread for Met O forecasts so please use it.

Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Well I for one am not looking for snow in the next two weeks. I'm looking for seasonal weather... which the synoptics appear to be pointing at. Some surface level cold. A bit of mist or fog. Some sunshine. Probably some rain. A raise in temperatures will absolutely happen. A return to crisp cold mornings. And snow on Christmas Day (yes and pink unicorns and all that). That for me makes an acceptable December. I don't want end to end snowfall. Just a taster of the early season and a promise of more to come. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 6z I think winter is coming guys..dec 1st for sure!...joking aside, there is some snow / snaw potential to..and too be honest, that’s all I care about!!!!!:reindeer-emoji::santa-emoji:  ❄️ 

FCF92F14-CDC4-4CC3-8B2A-C1CF38B632C4.thumb.png.72a57b7efcf212b337914e00eabd03e2.png1F597FB7-8812-4914-8322-68F9466AC17E.thumb.png.90561180b40dcaff5ed94f99ee0998f0.png51207022-4526-4F88-B3FA-3AF2214F3355.thumb.png.479347c592ea5383084137d44621ef53.pngF68270CC-AC1B-4514-86B6-61719503C86E.thumb.png.d698a61c5e0bdd2345e895d86b57f875.png435B2AB2-9BF4-4481-ACC4-4DE017500216.thumb.png.ee92d2927244c2adebc6cbe91ea0995e.png5E16D0B8-A3E5-47CD-A41F-B724B2233974.thumb.png.46ed89908a6c599c6e75667aa1877458.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Eyes down for the GFS 12z.

image.thumb.png.674d7b28ddc424bd48082080eb056e7a.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

We are nearing these patterns becoming reality which is nice to see and to address those that seem to believe snowfall can only be achieved with "deep cold" that's simply not true, obviously 850 temps like that of BFTE would be fantastic but I would say for UK standards "deep cold" would probably be say -12 850 hpa and lower? but the general rule (leaving aside dewpoints) is -5 850 hpa normally starts to turn the precip wintry (sleet and wet snow in heavier bursts etc and of course the higher ASL obviously has better chance of snow) and -8 850hpa usually the indicator for snow even to lower levels but it can snow to lower levels even with less cold air (evaporative cooling etc) I got snow from this at 20M ASL archives-2018-1-19-0-1.thumb.png.34c37964049bdca8bfd2e203f94ea41b.pngarchives-2018-1-19-0-0.thumb.png.6d5588307c6a14f3c9eda23633a7ba19.pngarchives-2018-1-19-12-1.thumb.png.c1aff7225c19450541aadcc8e7026311.pngarchives-2018-1-19-12-0.thumb.png.8bcd0a1849869c308005bb91133b13e1.png DSC_0003.thumb.JPG.40a8a699cec1041ecc07d2190dc4eb5a.JPG 

Its a really positive outlook currently and I like the way the PV and bitterly cold air is being shown to go to the siberian side, GEFS mean at 192 and end of the run gensnh-31-0-192.thumb.png.63613d7b25b817b55d7da5e88d297434.pnggensnh-31-0-384.thumb.png.595aed7bf5320777a7a889d8756e78ca.png with the really strong high to the east and should any blocking develop around Greenland could hopefully only be a matter of time before that starts to get drawn west towards us, and on top of that still worth monitoring any warming in the strat. 

And to address the post stating (also goes for other similarly negative posts, not targeting any 1 person in case it appears that way) 

"Absolutely no disrespect whatsoever to any member that has used these comments. I am wise enough to understand that these are exactly what's required and that these comments are absolutely correct, but when any of the below statements are used, it's not a good sign;

'Potential'

'Patience'

In the UK you have to be extremely clinical in taking any small glimpse of a cold spell you have and just from my experience, any time we have to sit in and wait for things to unfold down the line, they quickly fall apart and the patience is practically always rewarded...with the Atlantic returning. Let's be realistic, the climatology of the UK means that we are constantly filling up the cracks in the breaking damn wall, it's only a couple of weeks ago charts showing raging zonal winds increasing and members writing off the next month as hideous and zonal. If a pattern can quickly switch against the norm for us (IE Cold) then you see how quickly that Vortex will hug Greenland and the euro slug will slither it's way back.  Lowland, widespread falling snow anywhere away from Scottish mountains and northern hilltops is VERY unlikely for the next 2 weeks, temperatures whilst chilly will not be freezing cold." 

I respect everyone is entitled to their opinions but there really are some baffling posts on here come winter time, I have been one of the members using potential and patience as some key words, without potential what do you have?...  and patience is absolutely a key thing for any cold weather fan in the UK, how often have we had a cold spell that's shown signs of happening in the charts to becoming reality easily and without any hiccups along the way? very rarely if ever but that's part of the enjoyment well for me at least but I'm sure for some others too of watching how things develop and when the cold spells we have had, seeing those lovely snowy charts in the short range models then seeing the snow falling outside your own window   And going onto the next part of that post again it confuses me massively why some love to be so negative with any potential colder weather (understandable if cold weather isn't your preference of course) suppose its a bit like buying a lottery ticket why bother getting it if you don't have some kind of belief that u have a chance of winning a prize? And the sentence saying basically no lowland snowfall in the next few weeks as I've shown above you don't always need really cold air so I certainly wouldn't rule of the chances of some lower areas in the UK seeing some snow especially in any heavier precip but the short range models will be best to check for that. 

• Like 9

Posted

Looks a tad further over east and perhaps a bit more amplified towards Greenland (I may have confirmation bias, well almost certainly ) 

gfsnh-0-102.png

gfsnh-0-108.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Jesus christ it's not even December yet and it's a meltdown on here. Not sure what you all looking for in late novemberTamara who used to come on here often said"its just weather let it do its dance",, basically nothing past 7 days is cast in stone. The outlook going into december is cool and looking blocked ie West to east mobility looking poor. There's nothing to wintry really but see how it goes guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Much of the UK on the warmer side of the low, leading to pretty grim conditions (i.e. wet and windy). 

image.thumb.png.6331f238bdcd6a5fb84bb3d000f5f4dd.png

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
Just now, PerfectStorm said:

Much of the UK on the warmer side of the low, leading to pretty grim conditions. 

image.png

Exactly its just a low moving South???? Where's the excitement in that barring a bit of wintry weather over high ground. Come on please!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

Much of the UK on the warmer side of the low, leading to pretty grim conditions. 

image.png

Not sure where you see the UK on that chart?  

Seems to have been replaced by wind and rain... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Looks a tad further over east and perhaps a bit more amplified towards Greenland (I may have confirmation bias, well almost certainly ) 

gfsnh-0-102.png

gfsnh-0-108.png

Ukmo at t120 is showing a little more amplification.

• Thanks 1

Posted

The low seems to have taken an extended vacation and parked itself in the Forest of Dean. 

image.thumb.png.d9f4cd6398dd37d9e03cce5978fb1c31.png

Posted
11 minutes ago, swfc said:

Exactly its just a low moving South???? Where's the excitement in that barring a bit of wintry weather over high ground. Come on please!

I can't be the only one glass half empty fearing the next set of runs will show an Atlantic reboot and no signs of blocking... The interesting bit is that so far they haven't. 

FYI looks more amplified towards Iceland on gfs than previously. What follows next weekend is where excitement might be legitimate, if even if it's blue sky and crunchy frost!

gfsnh-0-168 (2).png

gfsnh-0-174 (1).png

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, swfc said:

I think the hope was maybe we would see enough eastwards adjustment to tap into Arctic air but now all it looks like is a big fat trough parked right over bringing us wet at times and windy weather. Nothing cold or wintry and as I say, don't rely on the east for cold, Scandinavia is going to go well above average temperatures wise because of the big fat trough over us. 

Atlantic heights are also going to quickly reduce and the ridge will collapse because its not going to end up in Greenland so as I say, wasted opportunity I'm afraid. 

More potential for snow in a cold zonal set up than this stalling low malarkey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Really didn't want to see this low stall like that.

If it were snowfall you wouldn’t be saying that 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I think the hope was maybe we would see enough eastwards adjustment to tap into Arctic air but now all it looks like is a big fat trough parked right over bringing us wet at times and windy weather. Nothing cold or wintry and as I say, don't rely on the east for cold, Scandinavia is going to go well above average temperatures wise because of the big fat trough over us. 

Atlantic heights are also going to quickly reduce and the ridge will collapse because its not going to end up in Greenland so as I say, wasted opportunity I'm afraid. 

More potential for snow in a cold zonal set up than this stalling low malarkey.

I don't know, could just be the gfs on steroids but it's obsessed with Atlantic blocking which I've never seen in my short time of following here. Wouldn't surprise me if it went all in on a huge Greenland block... 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Really didn't want to see this low stall like that.

Exactly what I feared when ECM first showed this pattern at day 10. It gets stuck and then just fizzles out. Seems to me the next week is pretty much done deal and many places in Europe will enjoy very warm weekend. We are looking at the middle of December for any renewed interest. Deja vu really.

• Like 3