Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted

FWIW the GEM is very interesting from days 4 to 6.  It's most likely an outlier solution but it's on the cards.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I think the hope was maybe we would see enough eastwards adjustment to tap into Arctic air but now all it looks like is a big fat trough parked right over bringing us wet at times and windy weather. Nothing cold or wintry and as I say, don't rely on the east for cold, Scandinavia is going to go well above average temperatures wise because of the big fat trough over us. 

Atlantic heights are also going to quickly reduce and the ridge will collapse because its not going to end up in Greenland so as I say, wasted opportunity I'm afraid. 

More potential for snow in a cold zonal set up than this stalling low malarkey.

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't know, could just be the gfs on steroids but it's obsessed with Atlantic blocking which I've never seen in my short time of following here. Wouldn't surprise me if it went all in on a huge Greenland block... 

Obviously I cursed it on this run!  

But some stonking blocks over the last few weeks in deep fi never never land... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
19 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

In all honesty the next 7-10 days will be a case of getting lucky under a slow moving modified polar maritime airmass. Some places could see some snow, but most will likely to be a mix of precipitation and of that it will be mostly rain away from high ground.

However the pattern setting up is probably the most blocked scenario seen in December for a long time and clearly further down the line we could inject some proper Arctic air, which could deliver the goods. The spell from November 2010 into December took its time to fully unleash its potential when finally at the turn of the month we saw cold air flood south through Scandinavia into Europe and the U.K. This could very well happen again at some point.

In that case the low stalled on the 19th and the snow arrived on the 24th, the undercut is not as good this time though.

People forget though that actually early Dec 18 was pretty cool as were a handful of other years early on so we will need to see how the pattern transitions.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Hi guys. As the original poster said there is a thread for Met O forecasts so please use it.

Thanks.

When you say stuff like this please post a link to it

thanks 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The gfs is like chalk and cheese compared to this morning's 06z run in fl so no news there

the GEM is a good run NH wise though.

gemnh-0-240.thumb.png.84bd25322e6dfb764b66ea900bbbac3e.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

The gfs is like chalk and cheese compared to this morning's 06z run in fl so no news there

the GEM is a good run NH wise though.

gemnh-0-240.thumb.png.84bd25322e6dfb764b66ea900bbbac3e.png

Sorry that was my doing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

When you say stuff like this please post a link to it

thanks 

Hi Steve,

There you go.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

'ello! Been lurking for about a week!

This is a blocked pattern coming up. This week was never gonna deliver a snow fest when it comes to this low. 

Relax, its still November. Things take time. The pattern is much more favourable than any I've seen for a good while. 

Long way to go! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Due to lack of interest the rest of this evenings GFS run has been cancelled .  We are going to review the GEM instead...which is far more exciting ...even the chance of pink snow at times!!

A1EBA952-D7EA-4EDF-A2B6-0445975F0B27.png

9B1DC436-E96A-45E6-AB22-C1D73781ACE7.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

We lose the upstream Pacific ridge on the 12z GFS run, much flatter, so the whole pattern flattens out downstream from there:

12z >>anim_dkv8.gif 06z >>  anim_pzq9.gif

We really do need amplification to maintain this potential from the tPV visiting the other side of the NH? Otherwise by D15 we are back to square one:

gfsnh-0-366.thumb.png.7a525e76848df954709adc8aa29704e2.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Due to lack of interest the rest of this evenings GFS run has been cancelled .  We are going to review the GEM instead...which is far more exciting ...even the chance of pink snow at times!!

Ah yes, the infamous GEM snizzlestorm special. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

GEM 198

6683B0B9-C58B-4FE4-AD8E-79C3DC89D95D.thumb.png.0f742b3360ab5e1a9e4471d34200a52d.png

A chart which synoptically looks good but actually the weather won't be. Cool NE'ly winds with average to just slightly below average temperatures with rain showers in eastern areas. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

The pink is freezing rain, Tim.  But I agree, it is a nice run, but again lacking cold air - this will come as we head further into December, provided the blocked patterns continue (I see no immediate reasons why they shouldn’t at the moment). 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Not often you can compare operational runs & ENS with 2010

FAA24E36-0F8D-45B4-9C2A-2633B2E5887E.thumb.png.d893c51b30c4bd7d8eb33bc06f091230.png63DD5C73-E4D8-4AFE-994E-02ECC8C79F04.thumb.png.3ec0278a4ca592acd12794fa9eff483d.png

06ED6958-CF64-42D2-802B-F11936A4E73C.png

Steve, if you press and hold down the image you can press 'save image', instead of print screening your phone. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

A chart which synoptically looks good but actually the weather won't be. Cool NE'ly winds with average to just slightly below average temperatures with rain showers in eastern areas. 

-4 / -5c uppers, low DP due to the easterly flow and a cold surface gives a chance of snow / pink snow ...

F3C5A91B-7E7A-472C-B088-33E57ADBF9A1.png

• Like 6

The thing is, I've been watching the GFS for months and it has forever been plumping for blocked scenarios which are, mysteriously, always out in FI. Then, up pops a return to Atlantic zonality and we are back in the usual cycle until the next FI blocking appears. Rinse and repeat. Call me a cynic but I've stopped paying any attention to anything beyond T168. 

We would need serious upstream blocking i.e. a proper Greenland High, a phenomenal Svalbard High or a fantastic mid-Atlantic High and we need them inside T168.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

-4 / -5c uppers, low DP due to the easterly flow and a cold surface gives a chance of snow / pink snow ...

F3C5A91B-7E7A-472C-B088-33E57ADBF9A1.png

Must be due to the infamous solar minima and increasing sunspot activity... The pink snow that is

Nothing horrific this evening thankfully, models trends still hold interest for December, and that is satisfactory. 

• Like 4